What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will there be another iPad?

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The next iPad will either have one hugely upgraded part along with a few minor updates here and there OR just a slew of minor updates (I'm betting on the latter). Apple follows the "Sony Walkman" business model. Which is exactly why I waited until rev 3 before owning my first IPad and it's also why i'll wait until the release of the 6th iteration before upgrading.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
altimax98 said:
There's one really important thing to recall. The more devices you have of the same or similar caliber the more fragmentation that naturally happens.. For instance..

iPad has one setting and the iPhone has another. Those properties are always consistent, if it's an iPhone 4 or 4S or a iPad or 2 or 3. The screen format, size, general dimensions remain the same. If they change the iPhone 5 to a larger format and then have a phablet and 7in model of the iPad app devs now have 5 different devices to build for and the quality will quickly drop. Apple would be smart to keep a 10in model and maybe a 7in suped-up e-reader like device.

I pray they don't pull a Samsung and have 10 different galaxy tab like devices at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They will NOT pull a Samsung. I wanted to buy a Samsung but am afraid to now because I am totally confused by the galaxy line. I'm not buying old tech.....

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The proliferation of Samsung tablets is not helping their reputation. Between the large variety of models, and the different operating systems, it can only be confusing to buyers. And the frequency of new introductions makes people wonder if there will be a new one next week. To me, it makes me wonder how much time and effort is being put on each model to perfect it. We see how much people worry whenever Apple introduces a new iPad every year. And it is only one base model with minor differences between models. One of the things I admire about Apple products is I know that each one is the result of well over a year of development.

The main thing that we will always know is that they will always try and come out with a new model at the same general time each year. And each year, it will offer surprises that few people were expecting.

Look at the improvements for the first two upgrades:
iPad original to iPad 2
Thinner, lighter
smartcover
cameras
Faster processor (A4-A5)
More RAM
iPad 2 to iPad (3rd Gen)
Retina screen
Much improved camera
dictation
More RAM
Faster proscessor (A5-A5X)

Anyone who knows Apple products, know that they do not rest on their laurels. Subsequent models will have impressive credentials by their own rights. And Apple will do their darnest to keep it a secret until they make a big announcement just before it is released to millions of anxious buyers.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Taken as a whole, it seems to me that what we are seeing in the tablet market now is a rerun of the home computer scene of the early '80s. Huge numbers of companies sprang up almost overnight, offering various rehashes of the BASIC programming language, and many of them didn't last too long. Meanwhile IBM concentrated on putting one or two models together and rode out the storm, eventually climbing into bed with Microsoft, and the rest is history.

Today we have Android taking the place of BASIC, and the iPad replacing IBM in the analogy. To the consumer, the tablet market is a bewildering array of devices that look pretty much the same, do pretty much the same and offer little promise for the future. Apple offers something different. It is a brand, and consumers like brands. Other companies can tweak their products as much as they like, but the market doesn't notice. The iPad is good for a year. You know what you are buying, and at the end of the year, when the next model is floated, you still have a useful tool. Apple might cost more in the short term, but it is a longer term investment. Everyone would like the latest and greatest, but my iPad2 is still pretty much current, and the original is not that far behind. Maybe when the next model is announced, iOs will no longer support the iPad1, or maybe it will, but whatever happens, the original buyers won't have a brick on their hands. They will still have a magical piece of glass with some invisible electronics behind it that does what it always did.

OP
taddle

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
England, United Kingdom, the Northern Hemisphere,
I sure hope there will not be 3d, or at least 3d in one model, 2d in another. Just look at all these glassesless screens, they all have major faults, a big one on a lot of them is that if you look from an angle the colours go wrong. Glasses bring a strain on the eyes, face it, tech industry, 3d is not too great, but you've already started 4d cinema screens. One technology at a time please!

paulvalerio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will stick to Apple for my tablet requirements, and Samsung for my phone use. The bottom line is that the tech in iPads is supplied by Samsung, if Samsung wasn't a viable threat to Apple, they wouldn't pursue so many lawsuits. I love competition, eliminating it and creating a monopoly would be horrific. Choosing a device from the Galaxy line shouldn't be hard or confusing, research the device, compare, make a decision. I did when researching tablets and picked Apple over Samsung and Asus. I don't care what people say, a huge part of Apple's appeal is it's popularity, when I bought my iPad, I bought that notoriety. When I bought my Galaxy Note, I also bought that notoriety and popularity of the product. Who doesn't love owning the hottest tech on the market.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will stick to Apple for my tablet requirements, and Samsung for my phone use. The bottom line is that the tech in iPads is supplied by Samsung, if Samsung wasn't a viable threat to Apple, they wouldn't pursue so many lawsuits. I love competition, eliminating it and creating a monopoly would be horrific. Choosing a device from the Galaxy line shouldn't be hard or confusing, research the device, compare, make a decision. I did when researching tablets and picked Apple over Samsung and Asus. I don't care what people say, a huge part of Apple's appeal is it's popularity, when I bought my iPad, I bought that notoriety. When I bought my Galaxy Note, I also bought that notoriety and popularity of the product. Who doesn't love owning the hottest tech on the market.

Sent from my White Galaxy Note

There is a huge third party development community for Apple stuff, not just considering apps, either. This is another reason I chose Apple this go around. Also, and I think this is very important to anyone who uses these devices for more than surfing the web, it is so much easier to get support when you need it for an Apple product, at least for me. I live in a city with an Apple store. I had a problem with my iPad 2 on a Monday evening. The screen was locked in one orientation and would not get free. Advice here was finally to take it in. That's when I found out there is an Apple store here. Made an appointment online for 10am the next morning to see a genius. Had a brand new ipad in 20 minutes. I didn't miss a beat. Otherwise, I would have had to change up my workflow on the following Wednesday. No telling how long to get it fixed. And the frustration on talking to a tech support person on the phone would have driven me nuts, as I can't deal with techs treating me like I have the IQ of a rock.

As for researching Samsung, man, they have a lot of models. I shouldn't have to look them all up. What if I miss one and then learn of it after I have bought an older one? Rubbish. I do agree that Samsung makes good stuff, though, so if I were to go Samsung I would just buy the top of the line device. But their strategy of filling the market with many different versions is whack and is not going to work for them. It's like they don't believe in anything. Put your effort into one really good device - or two maybe if they are different enough - and price it well. Then market the hell out of it. I already know who they are so I'm not even that much of a hard sell for Samsung. Quit iterating so much. Gosh...I they just released two new version of their Galaxy player..and 4.2 inch model and a 3.6 inch model. Price difference of about $50 and different tech in the screens. Then there is a new Galaxy 7 inch that is different from the other one they had. Again, different tech in the models so you have to really pay attention. That's a lot of spec searching just to figure out what you need. Not even considering other brands. Nuts.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Samsung is an enormous conglomeration. The company that makes the screens and other parts for Apple, is not the same company that makes the tablets. It is like the auto industry. Many of the major manuafacturers have companies that are suppliers to many of the other manufacturers. The company that Apple is suing for patent violation is not the same one making the components. and since the technology in the screens made for Apple, is not the same as what they sell to the Samsung tablet group, there is not a conflict of interest. In fact, Apple is supporting Samsung's research into technologies that will benefit the Galaxie tablets.

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
paulvalerio said:
Galaxy Tab? It's nothing like a phone. Now if you were referring to the Samsung Galaxy Note.....yea it's def a hybrid. I would love to see Apple make a larger iPhone and a larger iPad. Apple will produce new products each year because the formula obviously works! 100 billion dollars proves it. That being said, why not name a new product after Steve Jobs? The phoneJob, iJob, Stevepad......or just Job....I can see it now.....everyone lined up to get a "Job" it would revolutionize America and end the recession.....lol!

Sent from my White Samsung Galaxy Note

Ok, now THAT was high-larious! Lmao!

OP
taddle

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
There is a huge third party development community for Apple stuff, not just considering apps, either. This is another reason I chose Apple this go around. Also, and I think this is very important to anyone who uses these devices for more than surfing the web, it is so much easier to get support when you need it for an Apple product, at least for me. I live in a city with an Apple store. I had a problem with my iPad 2 on a Monday evening. The screen was locked in one orientation and would not get free. Advice here was finally to take it in. That's when I found out there is an Apple store here. Made an appointment online for 10am the next morning to see a genius. Had a brand new ipad in 20 minutes. I didn't miss a beat. Otherwise, I would have had to change up my workflow on the following Wednesday. No telling how long to get it fixed. And the frustration on talking to a tech support person on the phone would have driven me nuts, as I can't deal with techs treating me like I have the IQ of a brick
As a member of Mozilla support , I don't have problems with tech support, i just tell them that I'm in the mozilla support team, am quite high up and know what I'm talking about.
Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but here's what I think. I think that Apple is trying to make the iPad like Macs. Because there aren't many ways for the iPad now to get really better (like from the 1 to the 2). So without a numbering system, there will be less attention to improvements and therefor Apple can do what they can do to the Mac. Give silent hardware upgrades. Apple in the future will merge the Mac and iOS, except it will take a long time.

Sent from K48

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
taddle said:
As a member of Mozilla support , I don't have problems with tech support, i just tell them that I'm in the mozilla support team, am quite high up and know what I'm talking about.

I'll use that line next time....but there won't be a next time because I NEVER call tech support. :)

Last edited:
OP
taddle

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I'll use that line next time....but there won't be a next time because I NEVER call tech support. :)

I rarely call, but when my the hub from my ISP dies, I can't fiddle other than the available settings because it's against the conditions of them renting the equipment

Most reactions

Latest posts