What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Kindle app leave the app store?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't believe Apple isn't aware of how many of us are reading on our Ipads besides all the other things we do.
Apparently they weren't aware of how many people were upset over the removal of the screen rotation lock button either!

True LOL though I actually like the current arrangement but I'm probably in the minority. I've just read s bit more about this and one if the things brought up was Google Voice, how Apple gave in with that app. I just do know that this is not something I'll accept--neither an increase in price of books nor removal of the app will be tolerated. I love the Ipad but there's a point that will push me towards another tablet.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL too about the screen rotation button comment!
I do think we all shall just wait and see. Media does love to do its job and get us all hyped. Yes, sometimes it ends up true, but we're not dealing with any confirmation yet. Agreed though that this would be a very counter productive move. Most of us can live with the propietary nature of Apple in exchange for the stability and elegance and excellent battery life. We find the apps that often do what we need, so again, here's hoping we're good.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Well, there is some news as to how apps like Kindle will be handled.

-Users can access all content bought outside the AppStore, however the app is not allowed to have a link to another store
-Prices inside the AppStore have to be the same or lower than outside the store

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/15appstore.html

“Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to this am I understanding that if I buy a Kindle book from the Kindle store and not click on the "buy at Kindle store" from within the app it will be the same? I concur with this I think. I wonder if Amazon will. They may take the "buy" button off the app. I would think everyone who reads with the Kindle app is aware of the Kindle store. Wonder how this affects apps like Zinio. I beieve I have bought the two subscriptions I have in Zinio from outside as they were email offers. Not sure though LOL

Diane

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Diane B said:
According to this am I understanding that if I buy a Kindle book from the Kindle store and not click on the "buy at Kindle store" from within the app it will be the same? I concur with this I think. I wonder if Amazon will. They may take the "buy" button off the app. I would think everyone who reads with the Kindle app is aware of the Kindle store. Wonder how this affects apps like Zinio. I beieve I have bought the two subscriptions I have in Zinio from outside as they were email offers. Not sure though LOL

Diane

“All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app."

Apple most likely has the same policy for general purchases. Basically Apple demands that all content bought outside the AppStore is also available for purchase within the AppStore, or the app won't be released. Whether content is bought from inside or outside the AppStore is irrelevant, as both the content will be available either way. Assuming that the publishers agree to these terms.

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"In addition, publishers may no longer provide links in their apps (to a web site, for example) which allow the customer to purchase content or subscriptions outside of the app."

I am downloading the latest update to Kindle right now. I wonder if the link to buy from the Kindle store has changed to an in app purchase. If it has then I will simply go to the Kindle store in my browser and buy from there. No reason to share money with Apple. I was using Kindle long before I ever bought an iPad. I have it on my android phone and usually read from that device anyhow.

Silly. Just plain silly.

Nate

Edit: nope...still the same button that links to a browser window of Kindle store/Amazon. How do they get away with a direct violation of the policy? Will it change soon?

Nate

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the very first line of the article says, "Apple® today announced a new subscription service available to all publishers of content-based apps on the App Store℠, including magazines, newspapers, video, music, etc."

On the surface, this does not appear to include content providers like Amazon... at this time. We already know about the relationship (or lack thereof) between Apple and Sony and Amazon is not safe by any means. As we all know what happened with the screen rotation lock button, Apple can change the rules in the middle of the game!

As I have said before, I could really care less about the features of the 2nd generation iPad since my main reason for owning one was to read stuff. Yeah, I do love my gadgets, but the decision to upgrade depends wholly on what becomes of Apple's relationship with Amazon.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
nateccnn said:
"In addition, publishers may no longer provide links in their apps (to a web site, for example) which allow the customer to purchase content or subscriptions outside of the app."

Even though the article focuses on subscriptions, Apple specifically included "other content".

@nateccnn

Since Apple started enforcing this policy only recently, already released apps have a few month time, before they have to be updated. But if there is no change in policy, the Kindle app, etc. will have to be changed soon, or be forcefully removed.

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It makes sense honestly and is fair to all.

What the ...? Apple assumes that Because I bought an ipad they brought me to Amazon as a customer and should therefore get 30% of my purchases. Nevermind the fact that that i had Kindle on my computer long before the ipad even existed and on my android phone long before I bought an ipad. In fact the Kindle app was what push me over the edge into buying an ipad.

I can see the fee for stuff like the "Daily" which wouldn't exist without the iPad. Amazon should just remove their app from the store and tell Apple to shove it. That's the only way to deal with bullies. Once folks find out how suck the ibooks store is and let the customers clamor for it's return or go Android if it matters that much.

Amazon, don't give them a dime at that usury rate. Maybe 3% for the convenience factor but not a penny more.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is such a ridiculous policy by apple. I hope companies stand up to them and abandon the platform and make it very public, as that is the best outcome for everyone. Amazon is not giving 30% to apple without raising their prices by at least that much. They set this up so that there are two options for an app,, give 30% to apple or remove the app from the app store.

Last edited:

Most reactions