What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Kindle app leave the app store?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The easy solution to all of this would be for all of the ebook sellers to add in app purchasing to their reader apps. They should add a 30% surcharge to all in app purchases but still sell their content for normal price elsewhere. This would allow them to conform to the Apple guidelines and still keep their customer base happy.

The Kindle app is in violation and will likely be changed. While I wish Amazon could get away with your surcharge idea, I'm betting Apple has already plugged that loophole.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will Apple refund all the books i bought to read on the ipad kindle app since i don't own a stand alone kindle?

Hopefully the Kindle App will remain. But if it were pulled, you better believe we all would be asking this question! I also know some iPhone only users too who would be ticked! Let's hope we're good!!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its hard for me to think they will kill the goose that laid the golden egg but I'm a longtime Win person and haven't followed Apple's ways. I've had my Ipad since May and love it, even bought a second one for my husband and recommended to two friends who bought one. This would do it in for me if it works out they make it more costly or impossible to buy books for Kindle or Nook apps. I haven't bought a book through Ibooks yet because the books I wanted weren't available through them. I know they haven't worked out deals with some publishers and this is the reason. I still can't believe there won't be a way to use Kindle and Nook apps, but who knows.

Edit: I've also explored possibility of buying only epub format and explored thwt quite a bit last ight but many books are not available in epub easily. I learned that B&N books are Adobe DRM Epubs but haven't explored buying on PC and transferring to Ipad. That would be a pain but actually something I do with library books from our digital library to read in Bluefire app so may try it just to see if its possible.

Diane

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had been reading books on my iPod Touch and I specifically bought an iPad because of the ability to read Kindle stuff on the larger format. This would be really bad news if it was pulled. I have actually been contemplating getting an iPad2, but I will have to see how this plays out.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read a lot last night about the Sony/app store issue. I read Apple's statement about the issue and it certainly wasn't clear what the outcome will be. I absolutely won't pay 30% more and keep hoping that Apple will see this as one of those issues that will push people away from buying the next Ipad. I don't use it for only ereading for sure, but I don't want to carry two devices so this will be a big determinant when I buy my next tablet.

Diane

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mmm..
What about the likes of eBay ? Apple wants a share of the profit too ?
Bottom line.
If You don't like apple's policy go but a tablet from someone else.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In and of itself, point taken about knowing Apple is controlling of apps, but this isn't like the "bought it knowing it didn't have Flash" type of deal. And I would still like and use iPad, and for sure have an investment of apps as I've had iPhone since June 2007, and then the apps opening up one year after that. If iBooks had same price and bettered their collection, it would be fine with me to use them. But the Kindle app does re-direct outside of the app to the Amazon store, so let's hope it's all good. But Kindle has been available and remained APPROVED by Apple all this time, so it would seem silly for them to pull it at this point. It also helps drive sales to the iPad for people who don't just want an e-reader only device. So again, hopefully this will turn out to be no worry!

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bad timing

Apple's timing is appalling.

Google hasn't been at all subtle about the fact that they have an "open" system and Apple's iPad is part of a "closed" system. Hence the Motorola television ad.

This controversy simply plays into the hands of Apple's competitors.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be more than happy to buy books through Ibooks but they will have to sort out their differences with some of the big publishers in order to carry quite a few more books and it often happens the ones I want they don't offer

I understand that whole "don't like the restrictions buy another tablet" thing but this is more than that. i don't care about Flash, etc and as a long long time PC person I've been impressed enough with my Touch and Ipad I've considered buying a Mac next computer. IF (and we don't yet know if we're all excited about something significant or not) this were to happen then I would have to rethink a number of things. I'd rather stick with Apple and the Ipad but reading on it IS one of the things that's important to me.

Diane

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never consider moving to iBooks simply because we have a Kindle in the house as well. My wife and I share a Kindle account thus we can share books. If I migrate over to iBooks we will be buying the same books twice. I imagine there are a lot of people out there doing the same thing. iBooks is a much better app in my opinion when it comes to look and feel, but when it comes to content and function I don't see anything surpassing Kindle any time in the near future.

I was in the same boat as you Diane and was shopping for a MacBook for the family. I am going to hold off on that for now until I see where this goes. I was also looking at getting a newer iPod Touch, but I read Kindle books on that as well so once again I will be waiting to see how this shakes out. I'll say one thing for Apple: I never actually considered buying a Kindle reader until now.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I bought this iPad I was surprised to see that Apple allowed iBook competitors such as Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook, Borders, Stanza, etc. I thought for a 'closed' system this was pretty generous. I have appreciated the ability to find books on any of these readers and be able to get the book I wanted to read at the cheapest price. Apple's iBook was always more expensive and Amazon's Kindle was the cheapest. Amazon even allows me to lend a book to another Amazon Kindle owner.

If Apple changes the status quo, I would be disappointed in Apple. I would end up with another device, a Kindle maybe or if the Motorola Xoom allows Amazon, etc. to offer their apps on this tablet, I would definitely go with a Xoom.

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do agree that I wouldn't want to double buy iBooks to replace the Kindle ones I own. Of course, none of the ones I have are available on iBooks anyway. But I won't go and buy a Kindle because I would not use it enough by itself to justify. When I read on iPad, I often switch to another task, then return back to the book. I might do a quick search of something, etc.

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simply buy an Android tablet and stick it up to the man!!! The more I read of this the more certain I am I will never buy another Apple iPad. I seen the videos released today of Android tablets running Android 3.0 and it looks very slick. I could be certain my eBook reader will work forever with Android tablets ( I use Kobo ) same issue as Amazon.

Most reactions

Latest posts