1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Will the Kindle app leave the app store?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by DontUnderstandMyIpad, Feb 1, 2011.

1. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Turns out that Apple is further restricting it's App Store.

"The company has told some applications developers, including Sony, that they can no longer sell content, like e-books, within their apps, or let customers have access to purchases they have made outside the App Store."

NY timed apple moves to tighten Control of app store

Since this is exactly what the Kindle app does, will it be removed from the app store, or will this policy change only affect new apps?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Almost everything about the iPad has been intended to guide users to buy media content from Apple, and this is another way to fence iPad users in. Since I use my iPad as an e-book reader a significant portion of the time, this would definitely lead me to jailbreak my current iPad and buy something else when it's time to uprade.
  3. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nicely put. I guess I am in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode right now, but if this were to come true that would quickly be the end of my Apple days period.
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    This would indeed be a great shame. I subscribe to a number of newspaper apps and it's very convenient to be able to order the next edition or subscription from within the app. Let's hope Apple listen to the feelings of their loyal customers.

Tim
    Scotland
  5. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well, the article does indicate speculation that this could include Kindle/Amazon books. Now how dumb would that be?? Many people equally use iPad as an e-reader. I have it as I wanted an e-reader that is also a tablet. iPad's function also as an e-reader HELPED me tremendously in going with it, and in fact, I wouldn't have gotten one without e-reader access, and I think Apple would lose sales were they to remove Kindle books access. Kindle/Amazon seems more ubiquitous than Sony in terms of e-books, although Sony devices still seem popular too.
  6. Brewc

Brewc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kindle and the Nook direct you to a webpage to buy the books, sony was wanting to do in app from what I have read, and appears to be the issue.
  7. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The more Apple tries to fence iPad users within their Walled Garden, the more it will have once only customers. They will buy the first time in ignorance but will look elsewhere the next time around in the knowledge that iPad has restrictions the competition does not.

Marketing 1.0 says that repeat customers are gold.
  8. TJK

TJK Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is a synopsis of the article at Engadget based on rejection of Sony's Reader app:

Apple rejects Sony Reader app, really doesn't want you buying content from others (update: Apple says it needs official in-app purchases) -- Engadget

Update: As noted by Harry McCracken over at Technologizer, it has actually been Apple's longstanding policy to forbid in-app purchases -- the Kindle and Nook apps send you to a browser -- so Sony's desire to do so will have been the major cause for the Reader application's rejection. That doesn't invalidate the second concern expressed in the New York Times article, that Apple will no longer tolerate content brought in from external stores, which is a displeasing development, if true.

Update 2: Looks like McCracken nailed it -- Apple's come out with a statement pointing out that the App Store guidelines require that apps that allow content purchases must also allow them in-app through Apple's official iTunes-backed system. We can't imagine that Sony is thrilled with the idea of cutting Apple in on Reader content, but if they want to play ball, they should be able to score an approval. Notably, Apple says that they are "now requiring" this even though the guidelines haven't changed, suggesting they're just now getting around to enforcing it; the effect on iOS' Kindle and Nook apps isn't yet known, but we wouldn't be surprised if Apple started nudging them in the direction of pushing updates. More on this situation as we have it.
  9. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    No, I think the issue is they lead you outside the iTunes structure, meaning Apple doesn't get their 30% cut. Add at to the fact that they are direct competitors to iBooks...
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't get it.

So the reason Sony was rejected was because Sony wanted to point the purchases of e-books directly to their own website and then the content would flow from their site to the iPad. Apple rejected it because it did not also include an in-app process to purchase through iStore.

I just looked at my Kindle app. In the upper right corner is a link to purchase from Amazon. I can't for the life of me find an option to purchase thropugh iStore or iTunes. Is the fact that the icon to reach Amazon's site right there in the app all it takes for approval? I never log into the iStore account to buy books. I simply log into Amazon. Seems to me that Kindle is exactly what Apple rejected Sony for. Or did Sony want people to go to Sony's site and order books without clicking an icon inside the app? That makes no sense at all since the Kindle icon doesn't even offer an option to go through iStore or iTunes.

Nate
  11. Frankmezz

Frankmezz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will Apple refund all the books i bought to read on the ipad kindle app since i don't own a stand alone kindle?
  12. FutureStar

FutureStar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sure hope Apple doesn't eliminate the Kindle app. One of the main reasons I got an iPad was to use it as an e-reader, and for some reason I prefer the Kindle app instead of iBooks.
  13. Berghammer

Berghammer iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I feel the same way. :(
  14. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually Nate you have hit right on why people are wondering what is going to happen with Kindle content. If you take Apple's explanation today as their stance on things then the Kindle app is in direct violation of the application guidelines. The same goes for the Nook app. Neither one allows for in app purchasing because the purchases do not go through the App Store or Itunes.

Personally, I think maybe this is just part of the ongoing pissing contest between Apple and Sony. Then again it could be Apple flexing their considerable muscle when it comes to controlling content flow into their devices.

The easy solution to all of this would be for all of the ebook sellers to add in app purchasing to their reader apps. They should add a 30% surcharge to all in app purchases but still sell their content for normal price elsewhere. This would allow them to conform to the Apple guidelines and still keep their customer base happy.
  15. thekarens

thekarens iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not a Kindle user, but I love my Nook and was hoping to use my ipad (which should be here tomorrow) to read occasionally since it now syncs. If they take away the Kindle I can guarantee they will also take away the Nook and I'll be seriously unhappy :(
  16. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The Kindle app is in violation and will likely be changed. While I wish Amazon could get away with your surcharge idea, I'm betting Apple has already plugged that loophole.
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hopefully the Kindle App will remain. But if it were pulled, you better believe we all would be asking this question! I also know some iPhone only users too who would be ticked! Let's hope we're good!!
  18. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Its hard for me to think they will kill the goose that laid the golden egg but I'm a longtime Win person and haven't followed Apple's ways. I've had my Ipad since May and love it, even bought a second one for my husband and recommended to two friends who bought one. This would do it in for me if it works out they make it more costly or impossible to buy books for Kindle or Nook apps. I haven't bought a book through Ibooks yet because the books I wanted weren't available through them. I know they haven't worked out deals with some publishers and this is the reason. I still can't believe there won't be a way to use Kindle and Nook apps, but who knows.

Edit: I've also explored possibility of buying only epub format and explored thwt quite a bit last ight but many books are not available in epub easily. I learned that B&N books are Adobe DRM Epubs but haven't explored buying on PC and transferring to Ipad. That would be a pain but actually something I do with library books from our digital library to read in Bluefire app so may try it just to see if its possible.

Diane
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  19. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I had been reading books on my iPod Touch and I specifically bought an iPad because of the ability to read Kindle stuff on the larger format. This would be really bad news if it was pulled. I have actually been contemplating getting an iPad2, but I will have to see how this plays out.
  20. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I read a lot last night about the Sony/app store issue. I read Apple's statement about the issue and it certainly wasn't clear what the outcome will be. I absolutely won't pay 30% more and keep hoping that Apple will see this as one of those issues that will push people away from buying the next Ipad. I don't use it for only ereading for sure, but I don't want to carry two devices so this will be a big determinant when I buy my next tablet.

Diane