What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the iPad2 have swype?

irishtug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be so bold as saying your opinion that Swype "would be terrible on an iPad" is asinine. You either clearly have not used Swype before (and/or are an Apple Snob) or you simply don't appreciate efficiency.

"Swype it, don't type it" is the equivalent of "say it, don't spray it". Both effective in the end but one is clearly the more preferred method.

Reaction score
I had heard that swype is a copyrighted (patented) action on the android system. Anyone else heard that?

If you look on the Swype forum an admin stated in multiple threads that they approached Apple with the Swype keyboard for the iphone and ipad and Apple said no with no explanation.
I guess y'all that say it would be awful don't use portratit mode? It would work very well in portrait mode. Fwiw, I use Ultra Keyboard on my phone and though I have Swype I find it buggy and sluggish, a possible reason the folks at Apple said no.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
irishtug said:
I will be so bold as saying your opinion that Swype "would be terrible on an iPad" is asinine. You either clearly have not used Swype before (and/or are an Apple Snob) or you simply don't appreciate efficiency.

"Swype it, don't type it" is the equivalent of "say it, don't spray it". Both effective in the end but one is clearly the more preferred method.

I have it on my Evo and love it for my phone, but I also agree that it would be terrible on the iPad. It works so well on the phone because the keys are so close together on the phone that it's faster and more efficient on the phone. On the iPad I don't think Swype would work well at all. IMO you would spend more time dragging your finger across the iPad than just using the two finger method.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it on my Evo and love it for my phone, but I also agree that it would be terrible on the iPad. It works so well on the phone because the keys are so close together on the phone that it's faster and more efficient on the phone. On the iPad I don't think Swype would work well at all. IMO you would spend more time dragging your finger across the iPad than just using the two finger method.

Exactly. I have it on my Epic4g, and I type by using my thumb to slide across the screen. You would literally have to move your entire arm to swype across the screen of the iPad even in portrait mode. It would be way too tedious.

fatallbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Requesting Swype from Apple

Apparently the swype folks are all for bringing their keyboard to the iPad, but at the moment Apple isn't willing to do it (I'm apparently not allowed to post links, but go to forum dot swype dot com, Forum -> Swype PreLoad -> Unsupported Platforms/Devices -> Swype iPad App, and you'll see)
So if you want to see swype on the iPad, I'd recommend letting Apple know by going to apple's itunes feedback (google "Apple - iTunes - Make Request for the iTunes Store")
and selecting "Request an Application" with developer swypeinc
and title "swype"

Also, to respond to earlier posters who felt swype might not be useful:
1) I've got big hands, in portrait mode, I can't really type except by pecking, and I'm faster at swyping then pecking - to get a speedup, I really need to be able to use more than one finger effectively on each hand.
2) When I hold my iPad w/ one hand (e.g., laying on my back, in a chaise lounger), I often want to write something, but can only use one finger (or a stylus, which gives me extra reach). Swype would be way more efficient than then current keyboard.
3) Finally an iPad swype keyboard could have a resize option to make it smaller (e.g., moveable between bottom right hand and left hand corners) to allow for easy thumb-based writing w/ one hand. Although, I honestly don't know whether this would be comfortable - would need to try it...

fatallbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apologies to any previous posters who made similiar points that I failed to note in my post (e.g., Mountainbikermark had already noted that the swype folks were on board and only Apple was stopping them)

GJC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype would be terrible on the ipad in my opinion. My Android phone came with swype stock, and its awesome, but on a 10"screen, that would be ridiculous. Swype works because you can use a thumb to swype across the screen quickly. On a 10" screen you would have to swipe your finger like 2-3 feet per word.

Why does the keyboard need to span across the entire bottom of the device? It could be anchored in the lower right or left corner (configurable) and you could use it just as you do on a phone.

I love my IPhone, but was recently playing with a friend's Android phone. I didn't like that phone's layout as much, or the limited app store. However, the SWYPE keyboard was way slick. I'm planning on buying a tablet soon and was assuming I would get an IPad. The lack of Flash support was giving me doubts. After using SWYPE, though, I think I'm going to abandon Apple. Their keyboard sucks in comparison. ..and I would be able to watch videos on my favorite sites, to boot.

debbe84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been highly disappointed to find my ipad2 does not have a swpe keyboard, I have an android phone and there is just no comparison once you get onto the swpe keyboard. I really do not think I would of purchased this had I known. I will be a more cautious consumer with apple if I choose to make future purchases.

aajax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why?

Debbe84

I'm really curious. If a Swype keyboard were so important, why wouldn't you check this out before buying an iPad? Was this some kind of impulse purchase? I'm curious, because I come across a lot of these complaints from people who never seem to have researched their purchase, then complain about lack of this or that feature on their device.

OP
C

CanopicJar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Debbe84

I'm really curious. If a Swype keyboard were so important, why wouldn't you check this out before buying an iPad? Was this some kind of impulse purchase? I'm curious, because I come across a lot of these complaints from people who never seem to have researched their purchase, then complain about lack of this or that feature on their device.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a discussion forum if you frown on people discussing what they liked, disliked, were impressed with, were disappointed with, etc. ?

The fact that I am disappointed about the fact that there is no swype option does not change the fact that I am pleased with my iPad and that it was the best option out there when I made my purchase...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Debbe84

Debbe84

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a discussion forum if you frown on people discussing what they liked, disliked, were impressed with, were disappointed with, etc. ?

The fact that I am disappointed about the fact that there is no swype option does not change the fact that I am pleased with my iPad and that it was the best option out there when I made my purchase...

Both of you have valid points. But let's get back on topic, please.:)

aajax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype-less iPad

It should be a simple matter for some company to make an external keypad based on Swype. Let's hope.

Ron

The fact that I am disappointed about the fact that there is no swype option does not change the fact that I am pleased with my iPad and that it was the best option out there when I made my purchase...[/QUOTE]

Clementi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very glad I found this discussion.

I've been a confirmed "I'll never buy an Apple product" person (for reasons I won't bore you with but I DO have reasons) for years. However, I'm now looking to buy a tablet and am considering the Galaxy Note 10.1 but it's still running on ice-cream sandwich and, although Samsung promise a proper OS update by the end of the year, Samsung upgrade promises are not always too reliable. I use a Galaxy SII phone and LOVE Swype! As someone with accessibility issues (disability-related), I was previously more or less excluded from all the touch screen androids. I had a Viewty when they first came out and couldn't use it all, it was totally worthless for someone with my disability issues as I couldn't get the screen to work effectively and typing texts was a complete no-no.

Swype has changed my life, literally! I'm very sad indeed to find that the new iPad doesn't have it and that more or less counts it out for me. I'd been considering it instead of the Note because the iPad is definitely a superior OS and all-round better in many ways but, if no Swype, that's me out.

A great shame.

Most reactions