What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the iPad2 have swype?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype would be terrible on the ipad in my opinion. My Android phone came with swype stock, and its awesome, but on a 10"screen, that would be ridiculous. Swype works because you can use a thumb to swype across the screen quickly. On a 10" screen you would have to swipe your finger like 2-3 feet per word.

OP
C

CanopicJar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always swype with my finger, not thumb, on my Droid X.

I do not really see a problem with the size of the keyboard and swyping but I guess the swype keyboard could be smaller, fitting in one corner... That way you would have the qwerty keys on the right half and the numeric pad on the left...

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype would be terrible on the ipad in my opinion. My Android phone came with swype stock, and its awesome, but on a 10"screen, that would be ridiculous. Swype works because you can use a thumb to swype across the screen quickly. On a 10" screen you would have to swipe your finger like 2-3 feet per word.

Swipe may not be so practical if your device is sitting on a desk. Swipe would not be so terrible when I am standing in line (like right now) holding iPad with one hand and finger pecking with another. I can Swipe much faster

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FunN4Lo said:
Swipe may not be so practical if your device is sitting on a desk. Swipe would not be so terrible when I am standing in line (like right now) holding iPad with one hand and finger pecking with another. I can Swipe much faster

Very true and I don't think apple wants anyone using another keyboard that want user to use the OS the same way. And swype goes against that.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You know you can use swype like a normal keyboard too right? You dont HAVE to swype to make words. Don't get me wrong, its an awesome keyboard, easily the best I have ever used, but i dont think it would work well on the iPad. Should have the option of trying it out though Apple.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in portrait mode, a swype type keyboard would be very handy. i wonder why there hasn't been a cydia app to implement a keyboard of this type?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jackhag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swype

I had heard that swype is a copyrighted (patented) action on the android system. Anyone else heard that?

Cheri1956

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is true regarding the Swype being copyrighted, so we who enjoy using it are screwed. That's not like a Patent (which expires at some point)... UNLESS the Android people do an APP specifically for the iPad. I personally LOVE it, and have a Samsung Epic phone, learned it from someone with an HTC phone. hardly use the regular keyboard anymore, exc to do a quick smiley. Even if it is a bigger screen, if you like Swype you like Swype!!!
I could see why you would like it, a couple reasons mentioned above. I'm going to check out the Samsung Tablet again, which is a little smaller than the iPad... and see what the big differences are.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is true regarding the Swype being copyrighted, so we who enjoy using it are screwed. That's not like a Patent (which expires at some point)... UNLESS the Android people do an APP specifically for the iPad. I personally LOVE it, and have a Samsung Epic phone, learned it from someone with an HTC phone. hardly use the regular keyboard anymore, exc to do a quick smiley. Even if it is a bigger screen, if you like Swype you like Swype!!!
I could see why you would like it, a couple reasons mentioned above. I'm going to check out the Samsung Tablet again, which is a little smaller than the iPad... and see what the big differences are.

I LOVE Swype!!! Not so sure I need it on my Ipad, but it would be nice if they put it on the next Iphone, so when I finally get an Iphone I could have it.

greygoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype for iPad could make a ton of money. I have it on my Nokia N8 mobile but it was free.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app for iOS called ShapeWriter Pro that is the same as swype. I have it.

The problem with iOS is that that keyboard will only work for that one app. That reduces the usefulness of it down to near zero. If only Apple allowed us to make a few customizations. . .

aajax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shapewriter

There is an app for iOS called ShapeWriter Pro that is the same as swype. I have it.[/quote]

The problem with iOS is that that keyboard will only work for that one app. That reduces the usefulness of it down to near zero. If only Apple allowed us to make a few customizations. . .[/QUOTE]

With cut and paste, you can use it anywhere you can paste.

Most reactions