1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

will the ipad replace the laptop

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by tazz3, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    hey all will the ipad and other tab's replace the laptop pc i think it will
  2. mrao

mrao iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I own an iPad 2 ( jail broken as of this morning :D ) and a xoom ( on ICS and rooted) & while they are both awesome devices for on the go stuff...and I find myself using my laptop lesser than I used to...there are still some things that are more comfortable to handle on a laptop...hence I feel that while the iPad may definitely become the gadget of choice for a lot of things which you otherwise used to depend upon your laptop for...it may not completely replace it ...for now
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Not for me or lots of other people.
  4. hpulmer

hpulmer iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Well, my laptop I had to pass on to my 16 year old daughter when I bought my iPad - but I have to say that I do not miss much of it, especially as I had the Laptop mainly for my mobile life - and this is much better with my iPad.
  5. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    thanks all,, i dont own a laptop. all the stuff i will be useing the ipad for is just surfing the web and music emails .
    so i can do the thing on the ipad if i had a laptop lol.. plus the ipad is much easyer to use
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    If you already know this, is there a point to this thread? When it comes to individual use, only the individual can decide.
  7. VR41541

VR41541 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Haven't used my laptop since I got my IPad but will when I have to make and edit video as Adobe premier is superior over IMovie when it comes to making videos. Other then that there is no need to use my laptop.
  8. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    No because we are not able to upload files stored on pad to external sites. at least I still can't.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF
  9. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Goodreader can upload files on the iPad to FTP servers. There are other FTP clients available as well.
  10. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0
    I don't know how to use those:(. I am talking about uploading resumes to individual job sites as if you are on a pc or Mac. I did manage to do this via logmein having access to my desktop on my iPad. That's about it. I want to return my 10.00 FTP to go app as I have no clue as how to use it.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF
  11. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Most people who enjoy riding a motorcycle, do not intend to use it exclusively. A car is stll a necessity for most. It is the same thing here.
  12. pianoman

pianoman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    laptops & ipads do entirely different things. they could never replace each other.
  13. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    That's a great way to put it. At some point I'm sure tablets will be the new laptops, which themselves have put a big dent in the desktop market. Things always get smaller and more portable, it seems. I'd say my iPad handles about 80% of what I need it to. But, there are always tasks or games that are simply better performed by the trusty laptop or other PC.
  14. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Whenever this topic comes up I'm amused by the narrow perspectives that often emerge largely because posters often assume their requirements are representative of the much larger universe of computer users. It's certainly true that the iPad (or devices like the Kindle Fire) can be adequate replacements for many computer users, especially those who, before the iPad came along, were forced to "overbuy" laptops or even desktop systems to do little more than handle email, surf the web, and watch videos. For those folks an iPad or an even more portable device is perfectly adequate. And it's equally true that the iPad can't replace more powerful systems for folks like me who sit in front of five monitors linked to three separate cpus. But I'm not a typical computer user and I wouldn't denigrate the iPad because it fails to meet my overall computing requirements. I'm a member of a small minority of computer users.

On the other hand, there are millions upon millions of computer users for whom an iPad may be a delightful leisure time device but not an adequate replacement for the systems they use eight or more hours every day. I'm not referring to software designers, engineers, or financial analysts. I'm talking about the sort of folks for whom I design software -- office workers who don't wander about computer in hand from one meeting to another, who would find a ten inch screen that displays a single window at a time to be a productivity nightmare. Such folks don't need or want touch screens; they want to control their software from their keyboards or with a mouse. They want more screen real estate with access to more windows, not more portability.

As extrordinary as the sales of the iPad have been, laptop and desktop systems still constitute about 80% of all computer sales. Desktop sales may shrink but it won't be because most workers need portability; it will be because smaller cpu units can be more easily squeezed into small (and shrinking) cubicles and make more room for larger monitors with multiple resizable windows driven by more powerful chips. This Dilbert world may not be the brave new world that those who expect to spend their time jet setting from meeting to meetng around the world hope to see but it's the world that most white collar workers experience on a daily basis. And that world ain't disappearing.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    well iam thinking of geting the ipad. i do own a desk top but i dont own a laptop.
    all i use the desk top and iapd will be for leisure time surfing the web checking emails and music and may be a moive on the ipad. no games i have a home theather with ps3 and 360. and after i played a round with the ipad at my cousins house and at best buy i think it will be awesome to sit on the couch and surf teh web :)
  16. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +961 / 0
    Wait a minute...I thought you already had an iPad and that is why you were asking the question!