What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will the ipad 3 be faster than most gaming consoles?

lokay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to know will the ipad 3 be faster than gaming consoles you get these days like said on a website i read if so i will definitely like to buy one.What do you guys think is it or will it be faster?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not no, but HECK NO.

The reason for that is simple. The Xbox 360 can execute 6 independent threads at once. The PS3 can execute 8 independent threads at once (one is dedicated to security). The iPad can only do 2 independent threads at once. That is a HUGE difference in ability.

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope.
The iPad 3 doesn't have nearly enough power to run something like Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Mass Effect, etc. and the development tools most companies use are not nearly as developed as 360/ps3 ones. Plus noone will make apps just for the iPad 3, they have to support at least the iPad 2 and probably the iPad 1, just letting the 3 run better with an extra effect or two.

And if games render at Retina resolution it will hold back graphical effects the same system could get at normal res. Barely and 360/ps3 games even render at 1080p.

Still, the major devs that put money into a game can get some pretty nice results. Infinity Blade 2 running at retina res will be very nice looking, the games shown at the press conference Infinity Blade Dungeons and Sky Gamblers certainly look nice enough. I'd look up the videos of those, don't expect big improvements from there.

Really most of the popular games are simpler graphic games anyway that suit the touch controls. Gaming should be viewed as a secondary thing on the iPad, if you want console type experiences get the PS Vita.

OP
L

lokay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then probably over exaggerated i thought... that must be to good to be true but anyway still looking into getting one or maybe two.lol

Most reactions

Latest posts