What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the iPad 2 Change the Way We Watch Film and TV at Home?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No

A 40 inch LCD TV is now cheaper than iPad and one can always attach laptop with TV (most of them come with HDMI anyway).

Since iPad can't replace either TV (big screen) or a laptop (you need iTunes - right), most people will simply their lives by not buying the iPad itself. :D

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Havent read that article, but my new ipad2 has certainly changed the way we handle visual media in my house. Massively changed the way.

All new DVDs (and a fair few old ones too. We've only a small collection) we now view via iPad the hdmi cable on our 32inch flat screen tv on the main room.
We can all now easily view and browse the web using this same method.
The BBC Iplayer, via the ipad2 and hdmi cable is now nearly a main stay interface on our tv these days.
Catchup tv also allows us live tv or all the major channels.

Great for listening to radio or music collection on iPad via the tv's sound system.

So yes, for us the ipad2 and mirroring capabilities has been a recent life changing revelation for us.

ps249

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ITs changed the way I read books and show off pictures to friends. ITs great to show friends/family the latest video you made while on your most recent vacation. ITs changed how I occupy my free time (angy birds and other games).
Its definately a game changer for me.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The possibility is there but bandwidth constraints are probably still one of the biggests drawbacks of this. If everyone gets all you can eat data plans for their home broadband then the networks/exchanges would become saturated - at least in the UK at the moment and I think the cost of such a service would increase making it more prohibitive. When the collective cost of broadband decreases and the bandwidth limits increase then we may see more movement in this area.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh yes definitely. I hardly use the DVD player and use safari for all my Internet use. I watch the news on the iPad now, watch tv catchup, BBC iplayer app and channel 4. I hardly watch tv now, apart from certain events and my favourite programs like Dr Who etc...

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watch news apps:BBC,Sky News,Live Station.But movies,even if I use A V Player HD,for tv shows,is a no-no.Need "the big screen" for that.
Agree with you Hayles,Dr Who "has" to be watched on tv,(with good quality sound).:D

Neil.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I no longer use my DVD recorder because I record OTA shows on my iMac with better results. I can either watch them on my iPad, or stream them to my big screen via AppleTV. I forsee a future where I will merge my entertainment with my computer system, with maybe my iPad being the interface that goes beyond my remote.

OP
K

KreativeGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gamingbox.wordpress.com
Ipad2 has surely got me addicted to apps for Photography, reading magazines and accessing YouTube on the move. As a gaming enthusiast Ipad2 is definitely a winner for me for portable gaming

Most reactions