Will MicroSIM card work in a laptop as an aircard?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by spinfreak, Apr 20, 2010.

1. spinfreak

spinfreak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Forgive me if I am using the incorrect terms...LOL

Currently I have a Dell laptop with an AT&T 3G Sim/air card, and the $60/mth plan. I'm thinking about getting an Ipad. Obviously the sim in my laptop won't work in the Ipad, since it's a standard sim. Besides that, I'm paying $60/mth for it, so I'd rather get the $30/mth Ipad/ATT plan. If I got an adapter for the microsim, would it work in my laptop, since they're both AT&T, or am I SOL?

Thanks

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a sticky one I have heard you can cut the sim to make it fit but then you cannot use it in the laptop I cannot answer this one over to Max or some one else

3. spinfreak

spinfreak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm actually trying to find out the opposite of what you said.....I want to get the new $30 plan for the Ipad, and then get a mirco sim adapter (to make it full size) and use it in my laptop. I'm hoping to see if they micro sim and the $30 plan will work in the laptop, or would it only work in an Ipad? That way I can cancel my current $60/mth plan, and just have the $30 plan, and use the sim in both things. I hardly ever use my current air card anyway, so it's been hard to justify the $60 a month I've been spending.

4. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Theoretically, it should work. OTOH, how would you get to the micro sim on the iPad? As I understand it, it is built into the unit and all you do is activate it. It is not a item you can get from the AT&T store.

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I did some research and it does appear that the micro sim is removable. So if you get a card adapter, you can try it and see if it works.

6. paul65k

paul65k
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    While I hope this works it is most likely that the AT&T system will require the SIMM to be in the device that it is registered to (IMEI number) in this case the iPad....but you never know :)

7. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I see where your going with this smarty. Unlimited data for $30 on your laptop. I guess we won't know until these things roll out, but, I would imagine the big greedy att probably did something special to these sims to only work on the ipad. If not then smart guys like you will get a pretty cheap data plans available to them.

8. spinfreak

spinfreak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    LOL

I'm not trying to get anything over on AT&T. Hell, I've been paying the $60/mth to them for about a year and a half now, and literally I've used it maybe 10 hours, if that. I just don't see the point of having another $30/mth subscription for a 2nd device, while still paying for the first one that I hardly use.

I figured out what I'm going to do. I already ordered a 3g Ipad, and I'm going to activate the $30 plan with it. I'm going to get the adapter to make it a full sized sim, and try it in my laptop. If it works, then great. If it doesn't work, I'm going to cancel both plans and get a MiFi, and just run everything off the MiFi using Wifi. Then I'll at least be saving a few dollars instead of spending 90 bucks a month.

Thanks y'all for the replies :)

9. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I agree that it should be illegal to charge twice for the same service on different devices! You should be able to use it on one at a time!! So if you already have a data plan for your iPhone you should be able to go online and switch it to the iPad and vice verse.

10. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    That would however mean you waited an extra month and spent an extra $130 for nothing.