What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will JB Allow Video Mirroring on IPad 1!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Video mirroring (via Apple TV) is the single feature available on iPad 2 & 3 that I would like to have on my iPad 1. Would jail breaking make this available and, if so, how? Thanks in advance.

I have never understood, by the way, why video mirroring was not originally possible on te iPad. It's just a normal part of the OS for Windows and, I assume Mac.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
Video mirroring (via Apple TV) is the single feature available on iPad 2 & 3 that I would like to have on my iPad 1. Would jail breaking make this available and, if so, how? Thanks in advance.

I have never understood, by the way, why video mirroring was not originally possible on te iPad. It's just a normal part of the OS for Windows and, I assume Mac.

Yes. You can use a program called displayout. However I believe you can only use a component cable, VGA cable or HDMI, you can't use AirPlay.

Edit: I never saw the apple tv bit.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. You can use a program called displayout. However I believe you can only use a component cable, VGA cable or HDMI, you can't use AirPlay.

Thanks, DisplayOut looks like what I want. Yes I was talikng about AirPlay

I would really like to have video mirroring but I don't want to buy an iPad 2/3 just for that feature alone. It could be enough to convince me to jail break. I have iOS 5.1 which I thinks that it will have to be a tethered JB.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of interest, do you want to mirror everything or just some things, I ask because there is an app called TVOut Genie for stock iPads which I used on my iPad 1, I can't remember off the top of my head how much extra mirroring it gave me but I do recall it was reasonably substantial.

The Archangel

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, DisplayOut looks like what I want. Yes I was talikng about AirPlay

I would really like to have video mirroring but I don't want to buy an iPad 2/3 just for that feature alone. It could be enough to convince me to jail break. I have iOS 5.1 which I thinks that it will have to be a tethered JB.

Having looked on the Cydia site, there is mention of compatible cables so perhaps DisplayOut doesn't work via AirPlay:thumbsdown:.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
Having looked on the Cydia site, there is mention of compatible cables so perhaps DisplayOut doesn't work via AirPlay:thumbsdown:.

I'll see if there is any hacks for you.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Out of interest, do you want to mirror everything or just some things, I ask because there is an app called TVOut Genie for stock iPads which I used on my iPad 1, I can't remember off the top of my head how much extra mirroring it gave me but I do recall it was reasonably substantial.

The Archangel

I was about to mention this program, good shout Gabriel

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The Archangel

I was thinking of full mirroring but the main thing that I want is web browsing.

I just bought TVOut Genie and, based on 1 minute's worth of testing, it might be what I have been looking for.

Thanks for the info.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:

is there a way to make ipad 2 have display mirroring through the usb cable on my pc with both 1024x760 resolution and good ssound?

Sent from my iPad 2 wifi 32gb (jailbreaked) using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
is there a way to make ipad 2 have display mirroring through the usb cable on my pc with both 1024x760 resolution and good ssound?

No, you must use a video cable, such as the HDMI or VGA adapter for iPad / iPhone.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking of full mirroring but the main thing that I want is web browsing.

I just bought TVOut Genie and, based on 1 minute's worth of testing, it might be what I have been looking for.

Thanks for the info.

After more testing TVOut Genie looks useful, if not perfect. Mirrorig is a little slow and output to ATV seems to turn off spontaneously at times. Having said that, it works and I am happy to use it.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No, you must use a video cable, such as the HDMI or VGA adapter for iPad / iPhone.

i don't think that ipad 2 supports hdmi cable since the screen res aint even hd..
but i dont want hdmi to my tv but a way i can share the screen with my pc and record the gameplay with sound.

its to much to do if i have to get an vga output to the ipad, then an capture card...

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
i don't think that ipad 2 supports hdmi cable since the screen res aint even hd..
but i dont want hdmi to my tv but a way i can share the screen with my pc and record the gameplay with sound.

its to much to do if i have to get an vga output to the ipad, then an capture card...

There's an official apple HDMI adaptor that you can buy that allows mirroring using displayout.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pargadox said:

Yes it does. I own one and use it regularly. Ipad2 outputs in 1080 depending on the app in question.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes it does. I own one and use it regularly. Ipad2 outputs in 1080 depending on the app in question.

ok, but isnt there any app that can share both sound and video to the pc from an app like splashtop remote desktop can? there you can get both sound and video from pc while also control pc from the ipad at the same time.

Most reactions

Latest posts