What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad recognize an adhoc wifi network created on Windows Computer?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, need a super geek. I want to strengthen the wireless signal for my iPad when I'm in the bedroom or on the deck. So I want to set up an adhoc (computer to computer) network in Windows XP (on an old laptop). So far the iPad is not seeing this network. It says "could not find the network 'AdHoc'.

Any ideas?

Edit: I did turn off the firewall completely in case that was blocking it but still nothing.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One way forward - since my last post wasn't particularly helpful :( - would be to use a WiFi range extender. There are numerous models available; effectively they receive the original WiFi signal and rebroadcast it on a different channel. As a result, it doesn't appear as an ad hoc network and so your iPad will be able to join it without any problem.

Of course, the downside to this suggestion is that you have to purchase a range extender.....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This has been posted before. I haven't tested it myself, so I won't guarentee it will work.

Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

However, it can only be done from a wired network. You can not go from a wireless to another wireless network this way. As Tim suggested, the proper way to do that is with a Wi-fi range extender.

Last edited:
OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! I know about extenders and thought this was a way around it. I don't have a Windows 7 machine, Vista Ultimate. Thanks for input.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! I know about extenders and thought this was a way around it. I don't have a Windows 7 machine, Vista Ultimate. Thanks for input.

You can set up a WiFi hotspot on a Vista machine too - even XP - but as the poet says, it has to be connected to the Internet via a wired connection (well, OK, technically you could use Bluetooth to a tethered phone, I guess, if we're being pedantic). So an option would be to run an Ethernet cable from your ADSL modem to the Windows machine and then set up a WiFi hotspot there...probably not what you're looking for though, but cable is cheaper than a range extender...

Tim

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You can set up a WiFi hotspot on a Vista machine too - even XP - but as the poet says, it has to be connected to the Internet via a wired connection (well, OK, technically you could use Bluetooth to a tethered phone, I guess, if we're being pedantic). So an option would be to run an Ethernet cable from your ADSL modem to the Windows machine and then set up a WiFi hotspot there...probably not what you're looking for though, but cable is cheaper than a range extender...

Tim

Actually that is exactly what I was trying to do with my laptop and I did connect it directly to the router with a cable. But i'm not sure how to set up the hotspot or if that is the same as the adhoc network. If it's the same it didn't work. If it's different then I would try it. I also found a great antenna that seems to work well with Verizon FIOS router for $35. Pretty cheap for the value if it works well.

Just found very clear instructions on line. I will try it and report back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, need a super geek. I want to strengthen the wireless signal for my iPad when I'm in the bedroom or on the deck. So I want to set up an adhoc (computer to computer) network in Windows XP (on an old laptop). So far the iPad is not seeing this network. It says "could not find the network 'AdHoc'.

Any ideas?

Edit: I did turn off the firewall completely in case that was blocking it but still nothing.

I'm wondering if that is your router. My Ipad1 readily sees my router with very usable signal well over 500' away outside and upstairs on the other end of the house from the router downstairs (about 100' away and around 2 corners.
Could there be interference such as a cordless phone or lamp transformer limiting your range?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the router is in the basement. No phone nearby. It is a brand new Verizon FIOS router. It works fine on the first floor but upstairs it is one bar And on deck very limited. doesn't really bother me but my husband says Netflix is horrible on it on the iPad in the bedroom, constantly stops and stalls but fine downstairs so I am assuming that,s because of week signal.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quick update, I purchased an extender antenna and then also moved my router to a spot that was closer to the stairway from the basement but i'm not seeing any appreciable difference in wireless connection. :(. I will keep trying to mor around and see if I can get it any stronger.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most antenna designs concentrate signals on the horizontal plane. That means that when you are significantly above or below the router the signal will be weaker than it would be at the same distance if it was at the same hight as the router.

Think of it as a big invisible donut with the antenna at the center. If you tilt that antenna so that one edge of the donut is angled towards the bedroom, the signal might improve. What's more, in practice the donut can be off center and a bit lumpy around the edges. So rotating the device may get you a stronger signal too.

That of course ignores any other metal or signal absorbing materials that may be in-between the router and room.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty confident that I need to move it again and perhaps to the first floor. Luckily I have enough holes in the floor around here! Lol thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts