What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will I still need a laptop once iCloud goes live?

tvjimmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings from sunny Southwest Florida! I just joined so please forgive any misplaced posts. I need to ask someone for advice on whether I will need a Computer (laptop or desktop) once the iCloud is available. Thanks for any help. Looks like a great site. Jim Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tvjimmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry for the typo. I meant 'computer'....not 'commuter'. I'm considering upgrading to the iPad3 and the iPhone5 when they come out and don't want to spend the money on a laptop if I won't need one. Thanks for the advice. Jim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings from sunny Southwest Florida! I just joined so please forgive any misplaced posts. I need to ask someone for advice on whether I will need a Computer (laptop or desktop) once the iCloud is available. Thanks for any help. Looks like a great site. Jim Mac
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad General Discussion area where you're likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Normally, things like music, photos, movies, spreadsheets and other documents are stored in the on-board memory of a device.. Usually the storage medium is a hard drive.. The iPad and iPhone use flash memory.. The iCloud will let you store those things out on the internet rather than internally. Nothing else will change.

I'm not sure why you think this will eliminate the need to own a computer....

Last edited:

gallowgate715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was pondering the same question about icloud. I have an iPad 2 and iPhone. I use dropbox alot, but it's limited for space. My only issue is that when I go on holiday there is no internet. I've looked at either Airstash or Kingston W-drive.
Will wait for icloud and see.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With iOS 5, the need to use a computer to sync with your iTunes account will not be needed. Technically, with the changes that will be out before the iPad 3 debuts, it will be more viable to eliminate a computer for many. Whether it is practical, is a different story. Unless all your media content comes from iTunes, you will be limited in what you can download. Some processes are just more easy to complete with device that will accept USB or DVD downloads. My suggestion would be to try going the iPad 3 route, but anticipate buying a basic laptop within a year after that. Even if you decide you do not need the laptop, you will have the money for other things.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It's going to depend on what you do with the iPad. For some people, maybe even most, it will be easy to use the iPad without a computer. Others may find they need a computer for one reason or another.

The wisest thing to do to is wait and see. It should only take a month or so after iOS 5 and iCloud are out before there will be enough information for you to make an informed choice.

Or you can jump right in and live the adventure. :D

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jim,

Just in case it isn't clear from the posts above, your question can be interpreted in either of two ways.

() No, you won't need a computer to manage your iPad via iTunes with iOS 5.

OR...

() You may well need a computer for tasks that are difficult to accomplish on the iPad alone. iCloud will provide some off-site storage but it's not at all clear that the "free" storage (5 gigabytes) will be sufficient for everyone's needs or that any content can be stored there. (Read Apple's description of iCloud and you'll notice that you can store "purchased" music, for example, without impacting your limit. But I have about 12 gigabytes of music that was not "purchased" via iTunes on my iPad.)

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Icloud is one kind of storage but not share any online information or surfing available.
So the icloud would be just as an Hdd drive or others,while a laptop or some kind of pc can be much more functional and useful.
While since the ios 5 on ipad were not released by now,no one would make sure that the pc is still needed with the ipad you have got..
The best way by now should be waitting for the arrival of new ios5.
Good day..

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For millions of iPad and iPhone users, iOS5 and iCloud will eliminate the need to have a Mac or a PC available since you will no longer need to connect to a computer in order to initialize your device, load music or sync pictures and videos.

Will it remove the need to own a computer entirely? It depends on what you use a computer for.

The iPad has already eliminated more than 80% of my own computer use - and I'm a computer professional... I do use my iPad with a keyboard about 50% of the time, which means I'm as efficient answering emails and other online tasks as I would be on a classic laptop.

There are still some things that require me to use a computer - such as iPad development - that I don't see changing any time soon.

-t

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So long as you never need to use software, possibly

but only if you finance your "cloud" storage with a monthly check and if it will no longer be necessary to sync the iPad with a computer.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
but only if you finance your "cloud" storage with a monthly check and if it will no longer be necessary to sync the iPad with a computer.

There is no charge fir 5g of iCloud storage, and this does not include Apps or purchased/matched music. This is going to be more than enough cloud storage for many millions of users.

No monthly check required.

-t

OP
T

tvjimmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! What great responses. Thank you all so much for sharing your advice. Since I am no longer a professional photographer, I hardly ever use my Power Mac G 5 anymore. And since I upgraded my iPhone3 to the latest OS, neither the phone nor the iPad2 can 'talk' to the desktop. So, it just sits there. Financially, I'm not in a position to buy a Mac laptop, especially if the iPhone5 and the iPad3(and the iCloud) eliminate the need for a computer. Several Apple techies have echoed everything you all have said: I won't need a computer/laptop...I will need one...wait and see..or get a basic one, just in case. Stay tuned. Thanks again to all. Glad I joined. Best to everyone. Jim Mac

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! What great responses. Thank you all so much for sharing your advice. Since I am no longer a professional photographer, I hardly ever use my Power Mac G 5 anymore. And since I upgraded my iPhone3 to the latest OS, neither the phone nor the iPad2 can 'talk' to the desktop. So, it just sits there. Financially, I'm not in a position to buy a Mac laptop, especially if the iPhone5 and the iPad3(and the iCloud) eliminate the need for a computer. Several Apple techies have echoed everything you all have said: I won't need a computer/laptop...I will need one...wait and see..or get a basic one, just in case. Stay tuned. Thanks again to all. Glad I joined. Best to everyone. Jim Mac
If it turns out that you do want a computer you could consider a used Mac, laptop or desktop. Even though the iPad is very good, I don't think I could survive without at least one desktop or laptop do more intensive work than the iOS devices are capable of. A Mac Mini that's a couple of years old is pretty reasonable and still pretty efficient. Same for a basic Macbook. You'd be looking at $300 to $400...a lot less than something new and Apple people tend to take very good care of their equipment. Of course Apple products hold their value so you could get a good deal of your investment back when the time comes to upgrade.

Just a thought. Hope it all works out and let us know how it goes!

Most reactions