What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will HOME button wear out excessive use ?

Vulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use that HOME button so many times a day ... I double-key it to get to the task list all the time. I triple-key it to flip colors when reading text-based PDFs. etc.

I use that HOME button a lot. I am worried that one day it will break from overuse.

Anyone had this problem ?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not yet. The iPad home button is as new.

But even if it were to break at some point; Multi touch gestures eliminate the need for a home button.

Not entirely - hw would you take a screenshot or force a hard reset without the home button? Granted for normal day to day OS tasks the OS is not required.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use that HOME button so many times a day ... I double-key it to get to the task list all the time. I triple-key it to flip colors when reading text-based PDFs. etc.

I use that HOME button a lot. I am worried that one day it will break from overuse.

Anyone had this problem ?

My dear Mother had a saying I never forgot... worry is like a rocking chair ... gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere.

I added an extra line ... it also doesn't prevent, nor fix anything.

Just go with the flow.:)

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
My dear Mother had a saying I never forgot... worry is like a rocking chair ... gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere.

I live my life by this quote... Ever since I heard it on Van Wilder. Lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the button feels a bit more plasticky and is a bit less responsive than the ipad 1 was or any ios device with a home button?

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPhone 4 used to give me home button problems. I would press it once and it wouldn't do anything. I would press it again and it would bring up the multitasking bar, like I just pressed it twice. But with Gestures on your deivce, you will never have to worry about wearing down your home button anymore! I love gestures on my iPad 2 and couldn't see using the home button regularly like I used to.

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
they do, as the ios stands now?

cool. can you expand on that for us non-ipad-but-soon-to-be owners please?

So..... Is there a multi-touch gesture that does what the double-click of the home button does? It would so much more convenient than double clicking the home button. Especially since I frequently do it just a tad too slow and get slid over to the search screen, then have to retry my double click.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sowellca said:
So..... Is there a multi-touch gesture that does what the double-click of the home button does? It would so much more convenient than double clicking the home button. Especially since I frequently do it just a tad too slow and get slid over to the search screen, then have to retry my double click.

I dont have multitouch myself but from what i found on google using thumb and four fingers to pinch the screen works as the home button.

For those without MAC's multitouch doesn't seem to be an option as you need a MAC in order to install the developers kit to activate that functionality, or so I've read. For the moment that isn't a solution to the OP's question, although long term it should remove the over use of the button, once it's incorporated into a released iOS, perhaps iOS 5, but hopefully sooner.

I have to say I still own an iPod classic and the scroll wheel and button still work flawlessly. One thing can be said about Apple is their kit is expensive, but it IS quality, pity I can't make the same claim about iTunes, that damn software drives me to distraction sometimes.

Reaction score
Actually there is a slight variation of the multi touch gestures, which lets you activate them via Windows. The main difference to the Mac way is, that there is no setting to turn them off again, you would have to go through the same procedure to remove them. Though I don't see any reason why someone would want to remove them again. Anyway, here is a link for windows:

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

Most reactions

Latest posts