What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Apple replace my iPad?

henrysickle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased the new iPad three weeks yesterday. Over the past couple of days, after using the iPad for a couple of hours, such as when I use Pages to do work, my screen starts to tinge yellow. I called my nearest Apple store, and I told them my issue and they said they'd replace it, though I thought I had bought it two and a half weeks ago and told them that.

Would it matter that it's over three weeks, and would they offer me a new replacement or a refurb?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
henrysickle said:
Hello,

I purchased the new iPad three weeks yesterday. Over the past couple of days, after using the iPad for a couple of hours, such as when I use Pages to do work, my screen starts to tinge yellow. I called my nearest Apple store, and I told them my issue and they said they'd replace it, though I thought I had bought it two and a half weeks ago and told them that.

Would it matter that it's over three weeks, and would they offer me a new replacement or a refurb?
Welcome to the iPad forums,henrysickle.
If it's a hardware fault it will be replaced,as your iPad is still under warranty. You could get either a new iPad or a refurbished one. Make sure to back up your iPad before taking it in. You can then set up the replacement iPad from the backup you created.

Last edited:
OP
H

henrysickle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if they don't see a problem straight away? As I said it takes a an hour or so before the problem appears, so they might just look at it and deem it fine?

I'd prefer to get a new one, as a refurbished one might have marks and stuff on the casing from the previous owner, right? Is it likely I'd get a refurb?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
did you buy it from Apple or a third party store? i ask because i had an iPad 2 that developed a problem after a couple of weeks,mine was from a third party store and they gave me a brand new one.

OP
H

henrysickle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought it from and Apple store, brand new. It just put's me off if they give me a refurb, because I heard that their resale values aren't as good as new iPad's? Also, since I paid for a new iPad, I would expect a new one if the previous one is faulty.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought it from and Apple store, brand new. It just put's me off if they give me a refurb, because I heard that their resale values aren't as good as new iPad's? Also, since I paid for a new iPad, I would expect a new one if the previous one is faulty.
i completely understand that,i went to Apple first and thats the reason in the end that i took it back to the shop i bought it from,having said that if you do get a refurbished one i understand you can't tell them from a brand new one.

Kevin43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi
I bought my iPad 3 from Best buy and went in to the Apple Store and got the Apple care plus two years. the guy that sold it to me told me if something happens to my iPad 3 bring it in the tech guy will look at it. And if they find something wrong with it they will give me a brand-new one.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if they do not see the problem, with only three weeks on it, their usual practice is to give you a new one. As for refurbished, they are just as good as a new one, and have the same warranty. In some cases they may actually be better because they have been thoroughly inspected.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was only 10 days old and it wasnt a brand new one they offered me,thats why i went back to the shop i got it from.......i checked my paper work just now,only 10 days old!

OP
H

henrysickle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'll ring up the Apple store that's near me in the morning and ask them if I'd be given a refurbished unit or a new one. One place I looked online said that they'd only give me a refurbished unit since I'm a week out of the two weeks return period. I feel that this is unfair since my issue only started the last couple of days since I've been using it for long periods. Am hoping the UK store near me only has new ones stocked.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'll ring up the Apple store that's near me in the morning and ask them if I'd be given a refurbished unit or a new one. One place I looked online said that they'd only give me a refurbished unit since I'm a week out of the two weeks return period. I feel that this is unfair since my issue only started the last couple of days since I've been using it for long periods. Am hoping the UK store near me only has new ones stocked.
You never know,you might be lucky,according to that i was given the wrong info at the store when i took mine back, after only 10 days,sometimes it seems to depend on who you speak to,let us know how it goes will you and good luck.

CoreDump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't settle for some refurbished one. You don't know why it was returned in the first place. The problem may not have been solved and you end up with someone else's problem tablet. My advice is to insist on a new one. These are supposed to be perfect and magical devices after all. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
henrysickle said:

If you have to ask if it is new to not, why are you putting yourself through this? It is as good as new with exactly the same warranty. For all you know, the new one you get can be worse than the one you have now.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
henrysickle said:

Being prepared will work to your advantage.

1. Book an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple store nearest you.

2. Ensure your device has been operating long enough to produce the glitch by the time you arrive at the store.

3. If you have all the packaging, bring it with you including the power cord, charger and ear buds. If you still have the little plastic bags and twist ties, do up the peripherals like they were out of the box.

(Step 3 signals the Apple rep that you're expecting a new in-box replacement device even if you're slightly outside the "official" return policy window.)

4. The Genius will perform a diagnostic and replace the unit after that's complete.

You'll know if you're getting a refurb because they bring it to you in a unmarked box, not the new, white Apple box.

A poster in this thread mentioned that a refurb can be as good as new or better because it's completely reconditioned and the defect that prompted its return has been repaired. Refurb devices do not go out with scratched or blemished screens. You can check in- store and on the off chance theres a screen issue, ask for another.

Pretty confident if you act within the next day or two, you'll get the result you hope for.

Please let us know what happens.

AA

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CoreDump said:
Don't settle for some refurbished one. You don't know why it was returned in the first place. The problem may not have been solved and you end up with someone else's problem tablet. My advice is to insist on a new one. These are supposed to be perfect and magical devices after all. :)

Unlike production line iPads,every refurbished iPad is individually inspected and tested. Your chances of getting a defective iPad are less with a refurbished one than with a new one.

Most reactions

Latest posts