Will Apple ever abandon 4:3 aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kierandill, May 4, 2012.

1. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Virtually all tablets, notebooks, desktop monitors, and smartphones have gone to at least a 16:9 ratio, including Apple's own iPhone. Some might argue that a printed page is more square and thus a 4:3 in portrait mode makes sense, but I suspect most reading on an iPad is of web content, which can generally take any shape you want. 4:3 in portrait mode seems to assume an image akin to an 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper.
  2. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
    No. Too many apps are already written against the current coordinate systems to even think about changing that.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I hope apple never changes their format. All the other tablets, monitors, etc, are stuuupiiiiddd.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The only advantage of 16:9 is for HDTV viewing. Other than that, you get a smaller amount of area for the same aspect ratio size. Apple will never change to the 16:9 because it is wrong for the application.
  5. eKindom

eKindom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  6. DoinicDenson

DoinicDenson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope apple never changes their format
  7. Sleaka J

Sleaka J iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I used to own an Acer Iconia A500 running Android, I never used it in portrait layout (the screen ended up being too skinny to use like that). Now that I own an iPad3, I still use it in landscape more than portrait, but there are things that I definitely use in portrait that I wouldn't have on Android.
  8. ajcgn

ajcgn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have owned an Olympus 4:3 camera for years. So by pure luck, the iPad is perfectly configured for me. :)
  9. whereweare

whereweare iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I wouldn't say the 4:3 is the best but it is relatively nice. We as humans love the 4:3 because our vision is more wide than long.
  10. petermillard

petermillard iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Umm, no. iPhone is 2:3, pretty much the same as metric 'A' series (A4, A5 etc..) dimensions. I find 16:9 is too 'skinny' in portrait mode e.g. for reading; much happier with 4:3 personally, though I could live with 2:3...
  11. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When held in landscape mode an iPhone 960x640= 1.5, yes.
    16x9=1.777
    4x3= 1.333
    That is in terms of pixels, I have no idea if the retina display does not have "square" pixels.
    All of Apple's other products with displays are widescreen, so I guess that makes them stuuuuupid....
    If a 16x9 screen was wider in inches than a 4x3, in portrait mode, it would not matter that is was widescreen. It would be like holding a piece of "legal size" 8-1/2x14 paper and saying you prefer 8-1/2x11 because legal size is too skinny. Of course that would make the tablet a good bit taller. I guess I don't know what people are reading in portrait mode that can't word wrap slightly more in portrait mode without seeming intolerable.
    Funny someone mentioned an A500 because I have that and the first iPad, and here is a side-by-side playing Avatar i shot awhile back that shows the screen in portrait modes would be negligibly different. Would the A500 be a little taller? Yes. But not skinnier in any significant way. Part of why that is possible the iPad's 9.7 diagonal versus the a500 10.1.
    IMAG0191.jpg
  12. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    the Acer is 1/2 inches less than the iPad in the narrow dimension and about 6/8-inches wider in the long dimension. That ratio is really only best for movies. Most other things just simply fit better in a more square screen. If everyone were only reading web pages you might have a point, but lots of people do more than that. Frankly, I still wish the industry for monitors would move back to 4:3 displays. Again, that 16x9 ratio is better for movies but little else. And frankly, I, and I suspect most people, have better devices to watch movies on. Why should everything adopt a movie format when that's not what these devices are used most for?
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  13. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Agreed. It's the exact opposite when discussing TVs where just about everything is widescreen theses days so that old tube TV really is useless at this point. The iPad works best as a 4:3 device, if for no other reason than how awkward it would be having a 16:9 tablet! Or, how about a 2.40:1 anamorphic iPad? It'd be shaped like a 1x4 piece of wood trim. Lol. :D