What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will an iPad2 recognize and import video from a Flip Camera?

Haly2k1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will an iPad2 recognize and import video directly from a Flip video camera? If so, which models?
What app will do the import? iMovie?
If not, what other video cameras will iPad2 recognize and import video from?
Thanks,
Hal

Jon22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.Ganda.ca
Flip tech support say no...
But
Yes. The trick is to use a powered USB hub between the pad usb camera connector and the flip.
Connect them up, go to Photos and your flip contents should appear. Works for me.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All you have to do is power on the flip before plugging it into the iPad USB port. I shot video of my nephews wedding with my flip and had it on my iPad before the reception started.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tecwritr said:
All you have to do is power on the flip before plugging it into the iPad USB port. I shot video of my nephews wedding with my flip and had it on my iPad before the reception started.

You do not need a powered USB port.

Jon22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.Ganda.ca
May work on a Flip Mino without a powered USB hub but not on the UltraHD which tries to draw power from the USB, without the Powered USB you will get an error message on the iPad.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a Flip Ultra HD. I do not need a powered USB to download to my iPad 2.

tecwritr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tecwritr said:
I am using a Flip Ultra HD. I do not need a powered USB to download to my iPad 2.

You have to have the Flip turned on before you connect it.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Page 69 of your operating manual

tells you what formats work for you.

"iPad supports H.264 and MPEG-4 video formats, with AAC audio. You use iTunes to sync videos taken with a digital camera, iPhone, or iPod touch (4th generation) to iPad."

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need to convert the codex

I use the comparable cam by Panasonic. The output should be the same (mpeg4). You will need to convert the file to one that will load on your iPad. Go to iPadinTouch - iPad Converter Reviews, iPad News Tips, Games and Apps. and at the top, click on "Best DVD to iPad". There are a few you can download a free trial version. With the software, make sure you select the appropriate device you wish to use the video on, and select the best quality output. You will notice a selection for the iPad 720P. It works great. I can even convert all my AVCHD videos as well. Once you have finished the conversion, simply place the file in your iTunes library and your good to go. Keep in mind that the trial version will only produce a maximum video length of 5 minutes, so you will need to purchase the software to take full advantage. Good luck.

You can use iTunes to do the conversion, but because mpeg files are quite large, it takes forever. The software I mentioned is much faster, and you have better control of the final product.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts