What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Amazon’s New Tablet Be a Match for the iPad 2?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
The Nook isn't really designed to be a tablet as much as a book reader that will do more . It's kinda the same scenario as those who want their Ipad to replace their computers, it'll do it just not fully and be a disappointment.
There was a thread about a WowPad on this forum this week that that tablet would probably be a better choice for a low end 10" Android tablet. It costs less than a Nook also

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Understood - however, you can install full-blown Honeycomb onto the Nook color - at that point, it's no different than any other Android tablet... Like I said, the main disappointment was the Android OS, which is going to be the same on any Android tablet that runs Honeycomb...

Sorry, but Honeycomb just isn't there yet...

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow...heavy stuff, it all started with a simple question also.

In answer to the original question I don't think so.

Other tablets have not failed, they are just in their infancy and are still developing. Of course they will all ultimately kill the iPad in its current format, but this make the assumption that Apple will stop innovation. If there is one thing Apple is good at it is innovation.

I am really not loyal to Apple in anyway, I cannot stand Apple Macs, really don't value the iPhone, but I do love the iPad and now the iPad 2.

Good luck to google. Hopefully the competition they provide will raise the stakes of innovation and drop the prices of devices.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
For what it's worth, I've purchased my first Android-based tablet and wanted to report my thoughts... Granted, the Android "tablet" I purchased is really a Nook Color which I installed Honeycomb onto.

In a nutshell, my iPad is like a Rolls Royce and the Nook Color is a Yugo... There really is no comparison between the two, the iPad being far superior, in both terms of hardware and OS.

I expected the hardware to be of a lesser quality, especially given the $250 price of the Nook Color. What surprised me though, is how un-polished Android Honeycomb really is. I was REALLY hoping that Honeycomb was going to be my "holy grail" of mobile Operating Systems. Unfortunately, it is just not there yet. iOS just runs so smoothly compared to Android.

That being said, the little tablet IS starting to grow on me more and more... Maybe some of the dis-satisfaction with Honeycomb was because I am a complete noob to Android. The more time I spend with it, the more I like it (but the more it's flaws show as well)...

Again, I understand that the Nook is $250 and the iPad starts @ $500 - my main "letdown" is with Android - just not as good as I had hoped...

Maybe my opinions will change after a week or so, but so far, iOS just seems so much more "finished" than Honeycomb...

Well, after trying a few different "versions" of Android, I have found one that is really nice on the Nook Color - it's called "Nookie Froyo" and it's customized for the Nook Color... It also controls the clock speed up and down as needed, which helps with battery life and performance at the same time! Now the Nook Color tablet is REALLY growing on me! It runs much smoother than the Honeycomb "developers preview" I was using originally.

I think I just modified my "Yugo" into a "Cadillac"! Still not a Rolls Royce, but it's getting much closer now... For $250, the Nook Color is a GREAT little device!

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just looked up the Nook Colour, nod a bad looking device.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

cfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle

The timing is obviously for the Christmas buying season which is before the traditional release date for the iPads. I don't think the Kindle Tablet will be an iPad killer, different market.

If Amazon can pull off a true color E-Ink screen, thet will be revolutionary. The combination of Epson's color display controller and e-Ink's Vizplex color display means long battery life and a more pleasant viewing experience.

What this means to us is a thinner, lighter, less bulky device. My Kindle will live up to a month on a single battery charge. Of course the Kindle is currently monochrome. The Kindle Tablet should have a color display. I wonder if they will also offer free 3G?

cfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The timing is obviously for the Christmas buying season which is before the traditional release date for the iPads. I don't think the Kindle Tablet will be an iPad killer, different market.

If Amazon can pull off a true color E-Ink screen, thet will be revolutionary. The combination of Epson's color display controller and e-Ink's Vizplex color display means long battery life and a more pleasant viewing experience.

What this means to us is a thinner, lighter, less bulky device. My Kindle will live up to a month on a single battery charge. Of course the Kindle is currently monochrome. The Kindle Tablet should have a color display. I wonder if they will also offer free 3G?

h1611161

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am not an Apple Fan. I've always and still enjoy working on Ubuntu (linux) at home, however at work it has to be only win-doze! Most of the time, probably since a decade ago, I sat on the fence and watched Apple, but never had the guts to jump over. Then I bought this iPod for my daughter, and myself a cheaper version from the competition. I hated my choice for myself, every time I could borrow the iPod. So it did not take me forever to decide to buy an iPad. My daughter who came back from college was blown over, and immediately demanded one, so now theres two of them in the household. A fortnight ago her Acer Laptop crashed (mighty) and I bought her a Mac Book Pro (13 inch). Now I hate myself for not moving over to Mac a decade ago.

The absolute truth is that, Apple somehow managed to read and understand the pulse of it's users and were able to deliver to more than expectation. In this forum one will find hundreds of posts about people who did not even know Apple until they got their hands on their first device (ipad2). I can relate to that ecstacy. You cannot get (not me at least) that kind of WOW factor, no matter which laptop I buy.

last week i tried three other tablets for my wife, as we thought it might be a good idea that we have all the individual experience at home. We wanted to get our fingers on a galaxy tab, and left it to my wife to actually feel it and make her decision. She just walked out leaving it for yet another day (which probably will not come). She's not biased at all, she just feels that the iPad is not only eye candy, but also true girth.

No matter what kindle comes out with, probably with a design to attack the iPad2, the launch dates will definitely clash with another generation from the iPad family. That alone will steal Kindle's thunder. Not only that, attacking the iPad2 itself with a product to dislodge it from the present position will indeed be a tall order. Something of an almost impossible, just because of the headstart Apple has. And having said that you never know if Amazon can pull out a rabbit from the hat.

In today's world brand loyalty cannot be discounted. One cannot be brand loyal to "Lexus" if they cannot afford it, they are probably loyal to "Corolla" and wish they had a Lexus. In my humble opinion the affordability factor is the main criteria for brand loyalty, else it is only a pie in the sky.

From where I am sitting on the fence, I still have sufficient reasons to beleive that engineers at Apple has more innovation than their competitors, and its an very tall order for Kindle to make Humpty Dumpty have a great fall.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love Droid but bought my first Acer Tablet and returned it back the same day:(

Attachments

• image-4173533250.png
    image-4173533250.png
    13 KB · Views: 177

bedouin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's all about the apps, and Android is half a decade behind. The attention to design that Mac users have been accustomed to generally replicated itself in iOS. Linux / Windows users never have had much commitment to making a clean, well designed and functional app. It's all about how much stuff one can shove into the package not how it all connects for them.

Most reactions

Latest posts