What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Amazon’s New Tablet Be a Match for the iPad 2?

Reaction score
LOL I wish most people could afford to buy what they want without caring about the cost, just because they like the brand. I will wait and see, and if the cost is good and I get a buyer for mine, then I have no problem at all switching, as long as it can do the same things and more, then why does it have to be a big name brand?

Mileage may vary but some times it's better to save some money up and spend $100 once vs buying twice for $60 each time, especially with automobiles and washing machines

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Mileage may vary but some times it's better to save some money up and spend $100 once vs buying twice for $60 each time, especially with automobiles and washing machines

Support Our Troops!!

Thats is very true!

Reaction score
Warranty and how well a company will honor it play a huge factor in my buying habits.
The average life expectancy of the carb on a new mower is 2 years due to ethanol in the gas. I paid a little more last year for a new mower with a "3 year won't start on the second pull they replace the mower" warranty from a dealer that honors the warranty well. Low and behold the last mow of the season in November it wouldn't start,I drove the 3 miles to the dealer with the mower, he tried 3 pulls, went and did the paper work on a new mower, no argument or hassle. The Lawn Boy replaced 4 year old Sears mower that I had spent almost as much as I paid for the mower in parts in the time after the warranty ran out.
I got my Ipad because of previous warranty dealings with my daughters iPod, I know they stand behind their products

Support Our Troops!!

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Warranty and how well a company will honor it play a huge factor in my buying habits.
The average life expectancy of the carb on a new mower is 2 years due to ethanol in the gas.

2 years? Either I've been very lucky with lawnmowers or they don't make 'em like they used to! I've had a single mower for 10 years without any issues!!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
The average life expectancy of the carb on a new mower is 2 years due to ethanol in the gas.

2 years? Either I've been very lucky with lawnmowers or they don't make 'em like they used to! I've had a single mower for 10 years without any issues!!

LOL they don't make ANYTHING like they used to..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Certain firms value brand loyalty and take active steps to create and hold it.
Apple is obviously one.

Good luck to Amazon as quality competition stimulates innovation.
(At least they are honestly out to make money and don't promote the pious bullshit of google)

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

My Sears mower replaced one that was a hand me down from my dad, a Murray from the early 70s that finally died when the block cracked at the spark plug. The deck, other than a little rust, is still fine I just couldn't find a motor/shaft combo that would fit with the right blade height.
Yeah they don't make 'em like that anymore.
My iPad feels like that type of quality on the physical part. That's my biggest like with Apple products, they are made well of quality materials

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I realized that there was a time in my life would not own any phones unless they were Nokias, so I can understand not wanting anything else. I just have a big mouth and sometimes do not notice till after I hit send LOL Just stay with me and usually I will smarten up just takes a min or two LMAO

JDFlood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blueface said:
Then blindly it is.
We shall agree to disagree.

He doesn't see it as cheating himself.
He sees it as loyal to a brand that fits his needs, provides him with a track record of performance, high priced but he can afford it, loves the trend setting styling, loves the service he receives.
Hmmm..........sort of like some of us blind folks with Apple.

All your shopping and comparing may not yield you the results he gains via his blindness.

Sometimes over evaluating yields worse results. That is why we are all so different. That is why there are so many options. Point being, it is OK for us to differ and for some to buy "blindly".

Nothing blind about the approach. Last time I wanted a car, I just went to Lexus. I know the brands by their business philosophy /reputation... Honda (accura) would have been responsive and well built but not truly luxury, MB lux, good handling but not very reliable, Nissin value oriented... You can avoid digging through thousand of details by knowing the company and what they have done in the past. Apple, user friendly, exceeds expectation, stunningly elegant, no competition from technology companies, because they are run by techies who just can't help doing stuff that a techie would like because they can, and missing what the consumer will really use. I give them a 1% chance of really doing some damage to Apples Market share. The people are loyal to Apple because of Apples unbelievable track record of adding value. After you get blown away by five consecutive produces, you just start going back and not wasting time on someone else's hype... Brown Zune for anyone? jD

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JDFlood said:
Nothing blind about the approach. Last time I wanted a car, I just went to Lexus. I know the brands by their business philosophy /reputation... Honda (accura) would have been responsive and well built but not truly luxury, MB lux, good handling but not very reliable, Nissin value oriented...

Exactly. "Blind" is someone who buys the iPad and then complains it doesn't do Flash, or doesn't have USB slots, or any number of other 'problems' because they didn't bother finding out about it. But someone who has enjoyed iPad, and decides to upgrade to the next version when it is available is not blind because their choice is informed by firsthand user experience.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
parcas1 said:
Good luck to Amazon, but when it comes to replacing my iPad, I head for an Apple store first.

So, you are already ruling this device out even though it doesn't even exist yet? That's what is funny about most Apple users - they blindly believe that nothing can ever be better than Apple!

Personally, I will make that decision when the time comes, thank you!

Brand loyalty aside I think the overriding problem with an Amazon device is that, well, it's probably going to be built to sell more Amazon stuff. And while I have no real problem with that I just can't see a company that excels at retailing becoming a threat to a company that excels in tech product advancement like Apple.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm willing to consider an Amazon tablet (or a tablet from any other company), as long as it conveniently and realiably does what I want, at a competitive price. Apple has set a high bar, but I'm not wedded to any companies. If an Apple competitor can do better, bring it on.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've purchased my first Android-based tablet and wanted to report my thoughts... Granted, the Android "tablet" I purchased is really a Nook Color which I installed Honeycomb onto.

In a nutshell, my iPad is like a Rolls Royce and the Nook Color is a Yugo... There really is no comparison between the two, the iPad being far superior, in both terms of hardware and OS.

I expected the hardware to be of a lesser quality, especially given the $250 price of the Nook Color. What surprised me though, is how un-polished Android Honeycomb really is. I was REALLY hoping that Honeycomb was going to be my "holy grail" of mobile Operating Systems. Unfortunately, it is just not there yet. iOS just runs so smoothly compared to Android.

That being said, the little table IS starting to grow on me more and more... Maybe some of the dis-satisfaction with Honeycomb was because I am a complete noob to Android. The more time I spend with it, the more I like it (but the more it's flaws show as well)...

Again, I understand that the Nook is $250 and the iPad starts @ $500 - my main "letdown" is with Android - just not as good as I had hoped...

Maybe my opinions will change after a week or so, but so far, iOS just seems so much more "finished" than Honeycomb...

Reaction score
The Nook isn't really designed to be a tablet as much as a book reader that will do more . It's kinda the same scenario as those who want their Ipad to replace their computers, it'll do it just not fully and be a disappointment.
There was a thread about a WowPad on this forum this week that that tablet would probably be a better choice for a low end 10" Android tablet. It costs less than a Nook also

Support Our Troops!!

Most reactions