What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Amazon’s New Tablet Be a Match for the iPad 2?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
kindle_new.JPG

Tech Radar has news today about Amazon’s forthcoming so-called “iPad 2 rival,†which it says is due to be released towards the end of 2011. The story comes via DigiTimes, who say that Amazon has just placed a big OEM order with Quanta Computers. According to DigiTimes, Amazon’s tablet will have Fringe Field Switching (FFS) technology and an electrophoretic display (EPD), with a touchscreen from E Ink Holdings. DigiTimes says that Amazon has ordered 700,00-800,000 monthly units. So, could this be the actual real “iPad killer†that finally halts Apple’s domination of the tablet market? In a separate article, Tech Radar puts forward the view that Amazon’s as yet unnamed tablet probably has a better chance of actually making a dent in Apple’s sales than many of its predecessors that have been left floundering in the iPad’s all-conquering wake. Tech Radar says that Amazon has proved with the Kindle that they know how to give consumers the sort of user experience they desire from a handheld device. And if they actually call the forthcoming device the Kindle tablet, they’d already have the quality brand name recognition working for them that most of the other would-be iPad killers didn’t have. In the end, it may well all come down to price. Could a competitively priced Amazon tablet actually rival the iPad and would it be something you’d think about buying?

Source: Amazon prepping iPad 2 rival? | News | TechRadar UK, Why an Amazon tablet could topple the iPad | News | TechRadar UK

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with that is, given the release date, being a match for iPad 2 may not be good enough as iPad 3 will be just around the corner!

The Archangel

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FFS and EPD won't matter to the majority of the people who bought the iPad, in so many ways its a new market, they just want to get to use it in the new ways that it opens up. The Apple-phobes will cite this sort of thing as the killer reason, in the end it comes down to how well it works. Techradar goes for the tech, and without the technical innovation the iPad would not be the success it is, but it is still the overall package. Good luck to Amazon, but when it comes to replacing my iPad, I head for an Apple store first.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parcas1 said:
Good luck to Amazon, but when it comes to replacing my iPad, I head for an Apple store first.

So, you are already ruling this device out even though it doesn't even exist yet? That's what is funny about most Apple users - they blindly believe that nothing can ever be better than Apple!

Personally, I will make that decision when the time comes, thank you!

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parcas1 said:
Good luck to Amazon, but when it comes to replacing my iPad, I head for an Apple store first.

So, you are already ruling this device out even though it doesn't even exist yet? That's what is funny about most Apple users - they blindly believe that nothing can ever be better than Apple!

Personally, I will make that decision when the time comes, thank you!

Why blindly?
My dad has owned Lexus for years. When he is going to buy a car, he headsbfor Lexus never giving consideration to any other car, regardless of features, value, etc.
He loves Lexus.
Loves what they stand for and what they produce.

I think they call it brand loyalty in that regard and not blindness.
Can't the same be for us "blind" Apple customers?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blueface said:
Why blindly?
My dad has owned Lexus for years. When he is going to buy a car, he headsbfor Lexus never giving consideration to any other car, regardless of features, value, etc.
He loves Lexus.

I would consider that "blindly" purchasing a car then! Of course I would compare a car I was about to buy to other brands/models! If I didn't, I would be cheating myself! I would never buy a car based on experiences of another car, just because of it's brand. Prior experiences may provide me a starting point, but it certainly wouldn't make me buy that same brand without evaluating my other options first!

But, that's just me! I always like to evaluate all of my options before making a decision!

Reaction score
There is and never will be any "i" anything killer.
You can a music player for $5 that will do most of what a regular iPod will do but...
Android has sold millions of handsets yet the iPhone still sells pretty darn well.
Same will be true for the iPad. Only Apple can kill the iPad and that's only if the others come with more power and less workarounds needed to attempt to replace the average laptop and Apple doesn't follow suit. Then maybe iPad won't rule anymore but will still sell plenty of units.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blueface said:
Why blindly?
He loves Lexus.

I would consider that "blindly" purchasing a car then! Of course I would compare a car I was about to buy to other brands/models! If I didn't, I would be cheating myself! I would never buy a car based on experiences of another car, just because of it's brand. Prior experiences may provide me a starting point, but it certainly wouldn't make me buy that same brand without evaluating my other options first!

But, that's just me! I always like to evaluate all of my options before making a decision!

Then blindly it is.
We shall agree to disagree.

He doesn't see it as cheating himself.
He sees it as loyal to a brand that fits his needs, provides him with a track record of performance, high priced but he can afford it, loves the trend setting styling, loves the service he receives.
Hmmm..........sort of like some of us blind folks with Apple.

All your shopping and comparing may not yield you the results he gains via his blindness.

Sometimes over evaluating yields worse results. That is why we are all so different. That is why there are so many options. Point being, it is OK for us to differ and for some to buy "blindly".

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
'So, you are already ruling this device out even though it doesn't even exist yet? '

Well, reading the post would have cleared it up for you, maybe. The original post asked if it was likely to be an iPad killer just on some specifications. I said that the specs are not enough and that it was how it all worked together to deliver that mattered, that most people don't give a hoot about the spec if it works and I would go to an Apple store 'first'.

I follow some PC forums and I could find you a raft of posts about how the iPad was bound to fail because it did not have this or that capability - often using the word fanboy as a irrefutable argument in favour of their logic - and others talking about how this new Tablet was going to wipe out the iPad. We're still waiting. Apple introduced a whole new market, others will catch up - and I wished Amazon good luck, which you also seemed to slide over - and we will see.

It will be fun. Keep reading

Reaction score
Apple gears toward a certain type of user with its products and also brand recognition. Amazon has a brand recognition for selling online .
To me that is like, since y'all used Lexus, they started selling home appliances. The brand recognition would be there but in another market. Maybe it will help, maybe not .
Apple still sells to a certain market of user so that will never be killed unless Apple kills it.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL I wish most people could afford to buy what they want without caring about the cost, just because they like the brand. I will wait and see, and if the cost is good and I get a buyer for mine, then I have no problem at all switching, as long as it can do the same things and more, then why does it have to be a big name brand?

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL I wish most people could afford to buy what they want without caring about the cost, just because they like the brand. I will wait and see, and if the cost is good and I get a buyer for mine, then I have no problem at all switching, as long as it can do the same things and more, then why does it have to be a big name brand?

I personally don't see anything wrong with your logic and respect it.
It is just that, your logic and personal preference.

Likewise, one who is either fortunate enough to not have to care about cost, or even if thought was given, still desires it, and is brand loyal and a satisfied customer, should not be labeled blind.

Such labeling does not offer the same courtesy this post has offered you on my first two sentences.;)
I find it a shame on forums so many have an opinion to share but so many don't care about other's opinions if they differ.

Most reactions

Latest posts