What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will 16gb be enough for me?

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mentioned that 16gb is not 16gb. Two gigs are taken up by the OS and included (nondeletable) software. So, 16gb is really 14 before you start. I waited in line and could have gotten any iPad 2 I wanted but I got a 16. I returned it 2 weeks later when I found, luckily, a 32 available. I would get a 64 if I could find one. BTW, it seems more cost effective to pay $100 to go from 32 to 64 than to pay $100 to go from 16 to 32.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Captfx said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned that 16gb is not 16gb. Two gigs are taken up by the OS and included (nondeletable) software. So, 16gb is really 14 before you start. I waited in line and could have gotten any iPad 2 I wanted but I got a 16. I returned it 2 weeks later when I found, luckily, a 32 available. I would get a 64 if I could find one. BTW, it seems more cost effective to pay $100 to go from 32 to 64 than to pay $100 to go from 16 to 32.

Yep!

My motto has been, for devices with fixed drive space capacities like the iPad, to get the one with the biggest capacity you can afford. Both my iPads are 64GB. Sure, roughly 70-75% of free space is still available to me but that's okay because I never know when I'll start saving movies or loading it up with a ton of other stuff.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

netkrazed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm kicking myself in the head for getting a 16gb iPad2. Spend little more and get the 32gb if possible. Sigh~

tc8z

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd agree in principle that more storage is always better. But with all the availability of cloud space and networking capabilities, unless you are constantly on the go or in non-wifi/3g areas, 16gb is plenty. I connected my wife's iPad2 to our home network and we have Netflix/Amazon (now with music cloud space) so media wise we're pretty good. If/once we start messing with videos, thats where we may creep up on size.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other thing I will mention, apple products have amazing resale. If you buy the 16g, down the road realize you need bigger, you can always sell it and upgrade then.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the 64GB just because I new 16GB wouldn't be enough so I started looking at the 32GB. Then it seemed silly not to just spend an extra $100 and double the storage of that. Also when I decide to sell it I should be able to get a nice chuck of change out of it because it is the larges capacity. You can never have too much storage space :)

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 32 gig I already have used 8 gigs. Really fast glad I did not buy the 16

Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
I went with the 64GB just because I new 16GB wouldn't be enough so I started looking at the 32GB. Then it seemed silly not to just spend an extra $100 and double the storage of that. Also when I decide to sell it I should be able to get a nice chuck of change out of it because it is the larges capacity. You can never have too much storage space :)

I find the opposite to be true. If you check prices for used iPads, the price difference between the diff. storage sizes is much smaller then originally when buying from Aple. So when you sell, you will receive more than for a device with less memory, but you will still loose more money, as the 32 and 64 GB aren't $100 apart anymore.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16, 32, 64 GB storage

Since there is no way to upgrade after purchase, other than switch units within the retail exchange time limit, get the most you can afford. I was trying to be a bit frugal and was going to settle for 32, but got to thinking ... but another $100 gets me double that amount of storage. Most of us can spend a $100 quickly, but I will have the ipad for several years. 64 GB is money better spent.

IMHO.

p.s. a friend had a dozen movies, lots of photos and apps ... use up over 45 GB. Add some books, etc. It gets used up fast. More is better.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something else to think about is larger apps being developed. I believe that the HD racing app comes in at 387 megs and there are several others now in the 300-400 Meg class. My point is that for some people who are used to seeing 70 apps at 4.5 gig on their original iPad in 6 months they may look to see 70 apps in the 9-13 gig range! I believe someone else already mentioned the huge size of these magazines. The download is small but the monthly content is half a gig.

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I have my music on a iPod nano 16gb - which is almost full. My iPhone 4 is a 16gb and it has 12 gb of data in it. My iPad 2 has 32gb and has 23gb free.do the math, but I'd say get the 32.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't decide which model to get so I went with the 32 gig to 'be on the safe side'.
I don't use mine to play games aside from Angry Birds, a word find game and a crossword puzzle app. I use mine mainly for productivity, surfing and social networking. I Dropbox all of my files between my iPad and home and thus store nothing on my iPad at all. I don't keep music on it, use my iPod for that. Am I really going to jog with an iPad in my pocket?
I've got 22 apps on here so far and have used all of one gig. In all honesty, 16 gigs would have been more than enough for me. I could have saved myself $100 by going smaller.
It all depends on exactly what you plan on using it for. You can't really judge how much space you'll need until you start putting stuff on it.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Anon_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
If you have to ask yourself "Is 16GB enough for me?" you're already behind the 8-ball. Go for 32. I'd rather have too much space left over than too little to work with.

My $0.08 (2 cents, adjusted for inflation) worth.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Agreed! Go for the 32GB!

Malko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget also that when you buy your iPad, maybe you don't know how you will use it in some months...

Regards

Most reactions