What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wil updating my ipad's ios to 6.1.3 lock my sim like in the iphone?

Davnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys :ipad-front:
I have an Ipad 2 3G model jailbroken. I need to know if I update to the latest IOS so far i.e 6.1.3 lock my sim by updating the baseband or is it the same process with the ipad's wifi model and my 3g model will run smoothly with no problems?? please help:(:(:(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, iPads have never been locked to the carriers. Not even the ones purchased from the carrier. The only limit is the model's compatibility with the carrier of your choice. A Verizon (CDMA) iPad 2 will not work on AT&T (GSM) or most other cellular services, and vice-versa. This is not carrier lock in, it's the difference in the cellular technology used.

Hold in mind that you won't be able to keep your jailbreak with the 6.1.3 update.

OP
Davnici

Davnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much Twerppoet now that I'm pretty sure I will update and give up the jailbreak since IOS 7 is coming today and a jailbreak for IOS 6.1.3 is about to be released by @Winocm.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may caution you: Unless you are willing to wait for a l-o-n-g time, a general rule of thumb for someone that likes their jail break is - do not update/upgrade your iOS until a jail break for that iOS is actually released.

There is much good news about winocm's efforts, but he has stated he is no where near a release. And - there is no guarantee that he WILL release a jail break for iOS 6.1.3/4. And, so far, from what I read, he is having difficulties with support for all the different iPad models.

Therefore, my suggestion is to stay at the current iOS you are on and watch and wait. If a jailbreak is released for iOS 6.1.3/4 before Apple closes the signing window for that version (which will be shortly after iOS 7 has been released), then yeah, upgrade to it and jail break that version.

The key is, IMO - wait.

[/unsolicited advice]

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you very much Twerppoet now that I'm pretty sure I will update and give up the jailbreak since IOS 7 is coming today and a jailbreak for IOS 6.1.3 is about to be released by @Winocm.

I haven't been keeping a real close eye on the jailbraking scene. The only article I've seen recently was for 6.1.4 on the iPhone, and while it has been show in a YouTube video, there was nothing about when or if a public tool will be released. I think you're jumping the gun, unless your willing to take the chance that you'll be waiting for an iOS 7 jailbreak, which if things go as they have been you could easily wait until 2014.

Most reactions

Latest posts