What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wiFi

ljmwoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem on iPad3. When trying to connect to a cafe WiFi I get the message "Cannot connect to "whatever" with the option to dismiss. I checked with someone else with an iPad Mini and they connected straight away. Has anyone got any ideas to make my iPad connect. I have tried clearing the memory and also powering down and restarting but with no effect.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - just for starters, I'm going to ask several questions (yes, don't have a ready answer): 1) Assuming you have Wi-Fi @ home, do you connect w/o a problem?; 2) When you say 'whatever' does that mean it gives you the name of the 'cafe Wi-Fi'?; 3) Is the 'cafe network' protected and is a password needed?; and 4) Do you have 'Ask to Join Networks' set to on in your Wi-Fi settings? Please post back and we can go from there. Dave :)

OP
ljmwoody

ljmwoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it gives the name of the network which I select and the network then shows the green tick. Yes it is password protected but I don't get that far. I can connect at my hotel, even though it is very slow, i.e. 0.9 Mb/s.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes it gives the name of the network which I select and the network then shows the green tick. Yes it is password protected but I don't get that far. I can connect at my hotel, even though it is very slow, i.e. 0.9 Mb/s.

Hello - just for starters, I'm going to ask several questions (yes, don't have a ready answer): 1) Assuming you have Wi-Fi @ home, do you connect w/o a problem?; 2) When you say 'whatever' does that mean it gives you the name of the 'cafe Wi-Fi'?; 3) Is the 'cafe network' protected and is a password needed?; and 4) Do you have 'Ask to Join Networks' set to on in your Wi-Fi settings? Please post back and we can go from there. Dave :)

Well, as to my first question above, do you have a 'home network' and if so, do you have any problem in connecting? Just trying to see if your iPad is working on at least one network first?

Second, as to the password (PW) protection, did you ask at the 'cafe' what the PW might be so as to enter it? I run into the same situations @ hotels as traveling, i.e. sometimes just need to enter a PW. Well, let me stop there - Dave

OP
ljmwoody

ljmwoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have a home network that has a wifi modem and a Range Extender. I sometimes have a problem but a reboot of the range extender always fixes that.
The cafe is password protected. When I select the cafe network it is quickly recognised and has the green tick but times out before I get to put the password in.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I have a home network that has a wifi modem and a Range Extender. I sometimes have a problem but a reboot of the range extender always fixes that.
The cafe is password protected. When I select the cafe network it is quickly recognised and has the green tick but times out before I get to put the password in.

Hi again - can you connect to other 'protected' Wi-Fi spots & do others at the location under discussion have similar problems connecting? If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, I guess that a talk w/ the someone responsible for the cafe's network might help (but I assume you've already gone there?).

If not already done, please review this Apple Support Article - if the first suggestions are of no help, you could simply 'Reset Network Settings' (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) - note that Reset is at the bottom of the General listing; of course, this will require you to re-establish your other networks.

Not sure if this will help but good luck! Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts