What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi sync not working

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have tried everything that I have found in these forums but still cannot get my iPad2 to wifi sync.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

kulurz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi kspector!
I'm new to this forum and the iPad2 in general, but I thought I was having the same problem.

When you plug your iPad2 up to your PC/Mac, go to iTunes - DEVICES - 'Your' iPad - OPTIONS - Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi - Apply

This is what I've done, (I hope it's correct)

What I have noticed however is that iTunes tends to start up automaticly, while not connected by cable to my PC.

Your iPad IS probably syncing if you have it set up correctly. It won't be syncing 24/7, but only when it needs to, (I think).

BMC

OP
K

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. But when I go to "iTunes wifi sync" in Settings, the "Sync Now" button is always grayed out and never operational. I thought I should be able to force a sync by pushing it.

Any other thoughts that could help?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kspector said:
Thanks. But when I go to "iTunes wifi sync" in Settings, the "Sync Now" button is always grayed out and never operational. I thought I should be able to force a sync by pushing it.

Any other thoughts that could help?

Have you opened iTunes on your computer, with your iPad switched on, where you should see your iPads name, click on the iPad name then choose the summary tab at the top of the iTunes window, from here scroll down to backup and check the "backup to this computer" radio button. Then scroll down again to Options and check the "sync with this iPad over wi-fi" box.

Now you should be able to go back to your iPad and force a sync......then the magic begins!

Hope this helps but let us know if it doesn't.

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I read the instructions carefully, it seems to me that my iDevices should show up in iTunes just as though they were connected via USB. Having followed every bit of advice I can find (port forwarding, USB sync/power down/restart (multiple times), turn wireless sync off/back on/reboot computer/iphone/ipad), I'm still finding the "Sync now" option greyed out, and no mention of iDevices in iTunes, unless connected viia USB. Right now I have both devices plugged into power, locked, networked (both online according to Network Magic) with iTunes running to see if they do an automatic sync at some point.

One thing that I'm wondering, but haven't had a chance to try out, is if the option might show up if the iDevices were on a different wifi network to the computer running iTunes. I think I might just head for Starbuck's to find out. My logic behind this thinking is that if the devices are close enough to be on the same network, why not just plug them into the computer?

This is becoming very frustrating. I am computer literate. I even remember the "astronaut's bog-roll" (which dates me somewhat) and I take pity on people who are attempting to use these devices with little, or no, computer experience. Could it be that there is simply a bug in iOS5/iTunes10.5? There certainly seems to be a general issue here. If it was just me, and a few others, I would assume I was doing something wrong, but I'm just about out of ideas.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sync to iTunes wirelessly with no issues. Settings on iTunes while the device is connected is the key.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Here's an update to my earlier post. Nothing happened while the devices were plugged in to the power. About 10 minutes ago, I had to make a call, and noticed that the iPhone was syncing, automatically. Checking the iPad, it had not synced since this morning. I have a Mophie battery case, so, technically, the iPhone was plugged into power.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that I had been away from wifi long enough for the phone to decide that it needed a sync.

@Archangel. I was grasping at straws. It obviously shouldn't matter which network you are on. The idea seems to be that if you have a speaker dock, you can sync while playing music etc.

The "sync now" is still greyed out. Weird.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update to the update. Both devices now visible in iTunes (wirelessly), and everything working as it should, with no further tweaking by me.

I guess patience was the key.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Update to the update. Both devices now visible in iTunes (wirelessly), and everything working as it should, with no further tweaking by me.

That's great news......we have a saying here "a watched pot never boils"! Or something crazy like that.....

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
That's great news......we have a saying here "a watched pot never boils"! Or something crazy like that.....

The Archangel

I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but we had a power outage yesterday, and I'm wondering whether this may have given the router the timeout it needed to reset after I forwarded the ports used by iTunes.

jpp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, blow me down. I too have spent many an hour trying to get it all to work to no avail - going through all the steps you outlined and then some.

Now, a day later, just like in your case, loaded iTunes and lo and behold, it has found my iPad!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Latest update. It quit working a week later and hasn't worked since. I gave up. I have plenty of USB cables.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case, first of all, my Mac mini that had been my desktop for 4 years had to be taken off line as my main desktop, because it runs Leopard which isn't good enough. I have a Windows Vista laptop that is actually OLDER than my Mini, and it had been sitting idle for a couple years. I had to do all the updates on it, and it's a little sluggish at times to come out of sleep or boot up, but it's better now that I updated it, and it's usable. I have wifi sync working on it with both my iPad 1 and iPhone 4S. I think part of it is where my laptop sits-wifi connection is about middle of the road, so sometimes it's fussy about starting the sync, but it does do it. I rebooted all devices to be sure. I have to laugh that a Windows computer older than my Apple one can accomodate the wifi sync, but my own Apple one won't. I'm not spending money on a new Mini at $699 when I have a laptop that works. And much as I prefer Mac OS, if my current Vista laptop gets too slow, I'd just as soon get an inexpensive Windows 7 laptop for $450 or so, because I don't have high power graphics and intense program needs, just basic home computing, occasional word documents, etc. And I'm not dropping a minimum of $699 to have a Mac OS desktop when there was no issue with my current one, and the absurdity that older Windows systems can do the wifi sync but Apple's own in my case won't. I think I should be okay for a while with this Vista laptop.
update: Xmas early at my house. My beloved saw me coveting the HP all in one touch screen, and bought me one. It's blazing fast, and very elegant. Yeah, I like Mac OS, but I'm having no qualms with Windows 7 on this very fast, smooth machine. Wifi signal is perfect, so must be a better receiver as it's in the same spot I had the Vista laptop. Wonder if Apple will ever have a touchscreen iMac, though it would cost a fortune for sure. And LOL, but this machine has more power than I've ever had, so who knows what I might do!

Last edited:

rogerxf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Although my wirelss sync was succefsul at a time in the past. Not now though.

Most reactions

Latest posts