What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi storage device for Ipad

apanek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you looking for something portable that you can take with you or something that would sit on your home network that your iPad could access?

I use a PogoPlug on my home network that my iPad can access anywhere on home network or when I travel. It has a great interface for the iPad

OP
lbcdennis

lbcdennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some thing that I could carry with me all the time.

csllanna

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good day, ibcdennis,

Thank you for posting your question on the Chinese Dedicated iPad Forum. Although I don't have any knowledge about this WiFi Storage devices, but I think the readers over here will try to help you as much as they could.

According to Joseph Moran, External WiFi based storage devices can be a good solution to solve the limitation of internal storage for iPad, iTouch and iPhone.

Because we can load the device with the media (from a PC/Mac via USB), carry it around and then connect to the device via Wi-Fi (and a special app) when you need to access its contents.

And Joseph did recommend a few products:Seagate GoFlex Satellite, G-Technology G-Connect, Kingston Wi-Drive, Wearable AirStash, and last but not least the one which used by apanek , PogoPlug Mobile.

However, Joseph also highlighted that the wireless signal range can be limited so make sure that you keep storage devices close to the streaming place (e.g., an adjacent room may be too far away). Besides, different product may make the user not be able to access the storage device’s wireless network and a hotspot for Internet access at the same time.

Hope that this will help.

Last edited:

CliffordH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of products that I use the main one is the AirStash+ (www airstash com), this looks like an oversized USB Datakey, but it has inbuilt rechargeable batteries and WiFi access. The storage space is provided by way of SD cards. They also have an app on the iTunes Store to allow you to up & down load data to an iOS device. There are also several app that can interact with the device directly.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the air stash+ and have nothing but high marks for it. Portable and flexible. Works with GoodReader too which, IMO, is a must have iPad app.

alanchan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, thanks for your advice
I just order a Kingston wi-drive and decided to give it a try
but I am confuse... can anyone explain please???
according to Kingston, wi-drive is portable
the wi-drive is using wifi connection to give you access from any ios devices
such as from iphone, ipad or ipad mini etc...
let say if I take this wi-drive to a car or to my friend's house
these areas don't have internet connection (wifi)
how the heck I can see the wi-drive????
isn't it this wi-drive suppose to stay in your house once its setup....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The wi-drive has its own wifi access point. When you turn it on, it will broadcast its SSID. You will see that on your iPad. You connect to it, give it your password, then you are in. You can see all of the files stored on it, and play them on your iPad via wifi.

Some of these devices, like the air stash, have pass through wifi. So, you put the device on your home wifi, then log into the device, and you can still surf the web. if you don't use the wifi pass through, then when you are logged onto the device, you cannot surf the web at the same time. Wifi pass through is not useful unless you have a home/public wifi path to the internet.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
alanchan said:
oh I see, thanks so much
the question is how long the wi-drive can run without plug in power
I mean using its own battery

I cannot recall the battery life per charge, so I'll have to check Kingston's web site. Says up to 4 hours continual use. Enough for a feature length movie! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts