What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Short Range

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Guys

Just wondering, is it normal for the iPad2 to have a short range wifi receiver.

I use mine at work and have access to 2 different wifi hot spots.

Whit my net book and Nokia N8 Mobile phone I can see about 10 hot spots which include the 2 I can connect to, but using my new iPad2 I only see 3 and annoyingly it doesn't include either of the 2 that I have access to.

Is this low range normal for the iPad 2

I do have mine in a case but it's the same when it's not in the case so that's not the problem.

Thanks for any help

Paul

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Paul - first, I'm assuming that your iPad's Wi-Fi has been working fine in other situations, like on your home network (if available)?

Second, do the 2 Wi-Fi spots at work broadcast their SSID (i.e. their names) - if not the iPad2 may not be 'seeing' these networks - just a thought.

If you know the names of the Wi-Fi spots (i.e. their SSIDs) and any security needed, in your Wi-Fi settings, 'choose' to join another network, enter the name and security if needed. If none of these suggestions help, please post back - good luck! :)

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply

Yes it's fine on my home wifi and yes the ones at work do display their names.

Oddly enough I have had my iPad sitting on my desk open on the wifi page and noticed that most of the time it is only showing 3 of the 10 available local hot spots, and then just occasionally it shows 5 which does include 1 of the known hot spots and also very once in a while it also shows all 10 but only very occasionally.

Very odd I know

Paul

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I do agree that is peculiar - you might want to 'Restart or Reset' (the latter if a restart does nothing) the iPad2 - never know but often clears up a lot of little glitches and will not affect your apps or files - directions HERE, if you've not done these maneuvers before.

Just curious if any of your colleagues have iPads and are experiencing the same issues? If your iPad is the only one w/ this behavior and you have an Apple store nearby, I'd probably take it in for evaluation and advice - good luck and please let us know if you figure out the problem or if Apple helps out - :)

OP
P

Paul80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I don't know anyone with an iPad to compare with mine so I went into my local PCWorld as they have 4 up and running on their display.

I set all 4 to find WiFi and all 4 found 4 WiFi hotspots, I then checked with mine and it showed 5 hotspots, thats with all 5 iPads set next to each other in a row. I then got out my Nokia N8 Phone and checked with that and got 9 HotSpots showing.

So mine is not as bad as the ones on display but still way off what my phone can give.

Paul

Most reactions