What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi question

Rockman59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased a small netbook unit that has built-in WiFi but the unit does not connect to my home Wi-Fi. I have a Time Warner cable connection for internet and a router to send the internet to my computer in another room. Doesn't this mean that any Wifi enabled unit should be able to pick up the internet signal thru the router. My wife uses a Kindle that has 3G WiFi and it works fine in our home. Any idea why this new netbook won't pick up the signal?

CDSmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rockman59 said:
I just purchased a small netbook unit that has built-in WiFi but the unit does not connect to my home Wi-Fi. I have a Time Warner cable connection for internet and a router to send the internet to my computer in another room. Doesn't this mean that any Wifi enabled unit should be able to pick up the internet signal thru the router. My wife uses a Kindle that has 3G WiFi and it works fine in our home. Any idea why this new netbook won't pick up the signal?

I also have Time Warner cable and a Linksys wireless router.

I have 5 desktop PCs, two WIi, two laptops, a Lexmark printer, and my iPad1 connected to the router.

I use a Verizon wireless Hotspot for the IPad and one laptop when I travel.

iPad 1, 32 Gbyte

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Rockman and welcome to the forum - :)

By a small netbook unit that has built-in WiFi, do you mean that you purchased an iPad w/ Wi-Fi? Just not clear from your description?

If so and you indeed own an iPad (I assume an iPad2), did you go to 'Settings' and turn on the Wi-Fi and then setup your home wireless connection?

I won't go much further until you clarify the above - should be an easy solution and good luck!

Last edited:

jmmitler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have the same problem.My WIFI stopped working on my IPad 2 but my computer works with the same internet connection. When trying to connect to Safari or email, message is "connection to server failed". I also have Time Warner cable and a Cisco wireless router. Anyone has the answer how to fix it?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have the same problem.My WIFI stopped working on my IPad 2 but my computer works with the same internet connection. When trying to connect to Safari or email, message is "connection to server failed". I also have Time Warner cable and a Cisco wireless router. Anyone has the answer how to fix it?

Hi Jmmiler and welcome to the forum - :)

First, you have 'hijacked' the OP's thread - your problem may or may not relate to the same issue thus confusing other posters - if the problem continues, I would suggest starting your own thread w/ a clear explanation of your problem.

But as a beginning, try re-starting your iPad (i.e. hold down the power on-off button, top right, until the power off slide button appears - turn the device off and then restart) - may offer a quick solution; if not, please start your own thread - good luck!

Kjsl61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone resolved this issue? Although I have 3G, I use wifi all the time. The only one that I can't get to work is at my friend's home and his Time Warner cable. Like others said, I can get my Windows laptop to pick it up--even if I delete it and start over.

It's almost like there is a different configuration setting that needs to be modified. I've tried the Forget This network multiple times and reentered the password. Yes, I have restarted the Ipad too.

The Time Warner technical site is pretty useless, since it assumes immediate connection.

Thanks for any additional info that you can provide, but prefer comments from those using Time Warner Cable at home.

P.S., Has this thread moved elsewhere? I completely disagree with the poster that said someone hijacked the thread. This is a very difficult topic to search because of the competing TW app for streaming TV.

Jamesw6175

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kjsl61 said:
Has anyone resolved this issue? Although I have 3G, I use wifi all the time. The only one that I can't get to work is at my friend's home and his Time Warner cable. Like others said, I can get my Windows laptop to pick it up--even if I delete it and start over.

It's almost like there is a different configuration setting that needs to be modified. I've tried the Forget This network multiple times and reentered the password. Yes, I have restarted the Ipad too.

The Time Warner technical site is pretty useless, since it assumes immediate connection.

Thanks for any additional info that you can provide, but prefer comments from those using Time Warner Cable at home.

P.S., Has this thread moved elsewhere? I completely disagree with the poster that said someone hijacked the thread. This is a very difficult topic to search because of the competing TW app for streaming TV.

What kind of IPAD do you have, is it a Att or other? Each has different ways to setup for Wifi.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wifi is Wifi independently of the 3G carrier.

AT&T, or anyone else makes no difference for Wifi.

-t

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Wifi is Wifi independently of the 3G carrier.

AT&T, or anyone else makes no difference for Wifi.

-t

Agreed, wifi issues will generally be related to the router, your device or a conflict between the two.

The Archangel

Tim92887

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was just wondering if any of you figured out the issue with the wifi not connecting properly on your iPad. I have same issue with iPad 2, time Warner, cisco wireless router. All other computers/blue ray players work but iPad will not get ip address. I believe it seems like a problem with time Warner and the way they have the sbv4200 surfboard setup. Just wanted to see if any of you figured out your issue before I call time Warner.

Most reactions

Latest posts