What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi problem

rcfjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to the iPad. I just bought one today, got it started through itunes from my laptop. But I cannot get it to connect to my home WiFi internet. What am I doing wrong? I bought an iPad 2.

thanks,

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum - :)

Please describe your home Wi-Fi system, i.e. ISP, modem/router, router setup, MAC filtering, and any other issues, such as your security settings?

Second have your gone into settings on the iPad and viewed the network options, e.g. have you selected your own Wi-Fi network name and chosen any options pertinent to your home network, esp. entering the appropriate password if you're have a security option in place, such as WEP or WPA?

Please re-post the above responses to those questions - should be an easy solution for you - good luck!

OP
R

rcfjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi problems

Thanks for the reply. After reading posts about this problem on different forums, I found one that solved my problem.

While the iPad would find my network, it would never ask for my password.

What worked for me was:

Unplug the router for about 30 seconds and let it reset. Once it was back, on the iPad, I went to settings and scrolled down to reset. I reset it and then tried the connection again. This time, it found the network and prompted me for the password.

It works!

Now, I have a problem in that it refuses to take the username and password I set up. I cannot go to the App store and buy anything. I will continue to work on that today. I did set it up and verify it, but it keeps telling me I have the wrong password or username. I have reset it and verified and get the same thing. My 21 y/o son worked on it as well and could not get it to work.

So far, this iPad has only been frustrating.

Reaction score
A call to Apple tech support might be in order , especially if it has gotten to the point of stating the account is locked.
My wife's ipad acted up when new and the folks on the phone got it straight on their end and walked me thru getting it straight on my end as well.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GREAT! At least you have the Wi-Fi working - congrats! :)

Concerning your Username & PW, are each the same as on your iTunes account setup on your desktop or laptop computer?

OP
R

rcfjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
username and password problems

The username and password were the same. Since I am setting this iPad up for my mom, I was having to set up her accounts for everything as well. But I reset the username and password for itunes, verified it, and all is well now. Perhaps I was doing too many things too fast?

At any rate, the iPad is working. I've been able to purchase tunes, books, games, take photos, get in and out of email accounts, browse the internet, etc.

Now I just have to teach my 84 y/o computer illiterate mother how to use it. That will be the biggest challenge.

Thank you all for your help. The forum has been extremely helpful.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...Now I just have to teach my 84 y/o computer illiterate mother how to use it. That will be the biggest challenge....

If I may be so bold as to suggest...

... just put it into your Mom's hands. I got my mom an iPad2 and just handed it to her. At first, she was hesitant - but now? Heh. You'd have to pry it out of her hands (she loves her word games and some solitaire games).

I also only try to introduce one new thing at a time (at a very basic level too - as in, how to turn it on/off). Then, I give her a couple of days to process that new part, then it was time for another.

As I said, she was resistant to the thing at the start (the quote "I don't need that!"). But, just playing with it was more than enough. :)

Good luck to you.

Marilyn

OP
R

rcfjane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel, you are too funny. But you're right. I guess the dementia settles in when I'm trying to do too many things at the same time.

Marilyn, thank you for your suggestions about how to help my mom learn to use her iPad. I'm getting her friends and family to send emails, so maybe I'll start with that.

I've also loaded a couple of games and books that I think she will enjoy. It will be interesting to see if she does try to use it.

J

Most reactions

Latest posts