1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Wifi or 3g

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by genros, Mar 4, 2011.

1. genros

genros iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of an Ipad2. My question is: Will a #2wifi be as fast (on the internet, gps etc...) tethered to a 3g phone (hotspot), as a #2,3g (built in)
  2. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I think the question is which will be faster Built in WiFi or Tethered WiFi.
    I don't have a Ipad yet, I'm still reviewing. However a 4G phone will be faster
  3. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    From my own experience i would say that tethering does not slow down the connection by a noticeable amount.

I have the iPad 3G and when I tether it via wifi to a laptop, the laptop actually loads websites and downloads faster, then when doing the same task on the iPad. So obviously the iPad is the limiting factor in determining the overall speed and not the tethering connection. The iPad 2 will be faster, so this might not be completely accurate, but I wouldn't expect much of a speed difference.
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,983 / 1
    No 3G, no GPS. You're iPad will not magically grab the GPS data from you phone and use it. Other than that, I doubt the speed difference will be significant.
  5. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 4g mobile hotspot and it is noticeably faster than my friends who have 3G iPads. However... It is a bit annoying to take the hotspot out of my bag, turn it on... Wait... Then go online with the iPad... Would be much easier to just have once device so I'm toting with getting a 3G for our 2nd iPad.