What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi or 3g

genros

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of an Ipad2. My question is: Will a #2wifi be as fast (on the internet, gps etc...) tethered to a 3g phone (hotspot), as a #2,3g (built in)

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the question is which will be faster Built in WiFi or Tethered WiFi.
I don't have a Ipad yet, I'm still reviewing. However a 4G phone will be faster

Reaction score
From my own experience i would say that tethering does not slow down the connection by a noticeable amount.

I have the iPad 3G and when I tether it via wifi to a laptop, the laptop actually loads websites and downloads faster, then when doing the same task on the iPad. So obviously the iPad is the limiting factor in determining the overall speed and not the tethering connection. The iPad 2 will be faster, so this might not be completely accurate, but I wouldn't expect much of a speed difference.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No 3G, no GPS. You're iPad will not magically grab the GPS data from you phone and use it. Other than that, I doubt the speed difference will be significant.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 4g mobile hotspot and it is noticeably faster than my friends who have 3G iPads. However... It is a bit annoying to take the hotspot out of my bag, turn it on... Wait... Then go online with the iPad... Would be much easier to just have once device so I'm toting with getting a 3G for our 2nd iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts