What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi only? or 3g too?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a specific question not answered by the above excellent tutorial
Since the ipad doesn't actually have a free standing gps, (by the Apple site it is data assist ) If I decide to get the ipad 4 with 4g, or 3g, could I still get a gps dongle to have unassisted GPS function? Or if I have the network, it won't allow the gps dongle to work?
My specific question involves using my ipad for off-road navigation, where a network is not available. I am not sure how all of this works
thanks for your time
Don

I use the iPad GPS off road. Recently, I have dispensed with my Garmin and my atlas, and use the iPad exclusively. The iPad GPS is extremely accurate. Invest $2 into MotionX GPS HD, and you are good to go.

You can download maps, or cache them. Just set up your route while you have wifi, and you won't need to worry about data use on (or off) the road.

I wrote a mini review in the "On the road and off it too" thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/off-topic/89387-road-off-too.html

I can't recommend this app strongly enough. For off road users, it's essential.

Edit: Happy Birthday

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you
Again sorry for questioning that again . It's my birthday tomorrow and the wife offered this gem up. I just wanted to be sure it would work. Now I feel better

Your responses were precise and exactly what I was looking for
Thank you again
Don

Happy Birthday to you! What a lucky fella you are to receive this birthday present.

I use my ipad2 3G all the time when 4WD in very remote areas where no 3G is available. It's just brilliant....there are quite a few apps from which you can download maps in advance also.

wikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the links and birthday wishes . I went and got my new ipad 64 gig, with 4g. Now I can begin the process of loading maps , then to build a mount that will hold up to to some severe trails :)

Most reactions

Latest posts