What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi only ipad. Regrets?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other problem with a WiFi-only iPad is that you don't get GPS, so you have to rely on WiFi hotspot location databases for location updates - not much help if you're not near a WiFi device.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
nashyo said:
Does anyone regret buying the wifi only iPad?

Hmm! Yes and no.

Yes, my schools network picks up my iPad but I can't get it to log in - don't know why - so I use my iPhone 3GS instead but being smaller writing not so good for my eyesight, that's why I bought iPad in the first place. The same for gps while travelling round the countryside

No, because I am at home a lot and therefore wifi always available, always fast so it is fantastic

I download all newspapers, magazines and any info before I go to work so that it is available for me at work but it would be nice to have 3G purely because my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and my iPhone is tiny.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I download all newspapers, magazines and any info before I go to work so that it is available for me at work but it would be nice to have 3G purely because my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and my iPhone is tiny.

Lol, my eyesight has fallen apart this year, I had to buy reading specs last month!

On topic - no regrets about buying wifi only iPad, wireless at hope, wireless at work, pre download the papers for when I'm on the Woolwich Ferry so everything works for me.....if I need greater wifi coverage at a later date I will just pick up a mifi unit from 3, that was the big seller for me, once I knew that personal wifi hotspots were available then it was no question, wifi only iPad for me.

On the very odd occasion when I have no wifi and I need to connect then my iPhone does the trick but like Hayley said, my tired old eyes struggle with that a bit now!

The Archangel

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets here at all. I use my iPad mostly at home and work both of which have wifi I can use. I do wish it had GPS but considering I have an iPhone it's not really a big deal. I'm not willing to pay a monthly access fee for 3G to be able to use it once or twice a month. I understand other people's need for 3G and if I couldn't get wifi at work I probably would've gotten the 3G but for my situation, wifi is enough so no regrets. :)

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets at all. I have WiFi everywhere I use it so no need for yet another data plan. As for GPS my iPhone 4 does that just fine.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Lol, my eyesight has fallen apart this year, I had to buy reading specs last month!

On topic - no regrets about buying wifi only iPad, wireless at hope, wireless at work, pre download the papers for when I'm on the Woolwich Ferry so everything works for me.....if I need greater wifi coverage at a later date I will just pick up a mifi unit from 3, that was the big seller for me, once I knew that personal wifi hotspots were available then it was no question, wifi only iPad for me.

On the very odd occasion when I have no wifi and I need to connect then my iPhone does the trick but like Hayley said, my tired old eyes struggle with that a bit now!

The Archangel

And I'm only 44. Where have the years gone. "wireless at hope". Not sure whether your home is hope but I'll go with it. Hee hee!
Tell me how this Mifi works, I've heard about it but don't know specifics.

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Nope. However i have an iPhone and dont need to pay for another data plan. I only use my iPad at home anyway.

If you feel you will want to use the iPad away from home and wifi areas get 3G if your willing to pay. If your a home user like me there is no point.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
And I'm only 44. Where have the years gone. "wireless at hope". Not sure whether your home is hope but I'll go with it. Hee hee!
Tell me how this Mifi works, I've heard about it but don't know specifics.

Oh my spelling, it's getting worse! Yes, should have been home!

I'm in my forties too, it's that time for our bodies to fall apart.

Mifi or myfi, can't remember which, is a small unit which takes a 3G signal which can then feed up to 5 other devices with a wifi signal. Like tethering with your phone but creating a personal wifi hotspot is all it does.......so, if you went to London say, and you wanted to use your wifi only iPad you could keep your mifi in your pocket and you would have a wifi connection at all times and if your hubby has an iPad he too could connect as long as he didn't wander too far away.......and it's password protected so no one can steal your bandwidth!

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Oh my spelling, it's getting worse! Yes, should have been home!

I'm in my forties too, it's that time for our bodies to fall apart.

Mifi or myfi, can't remember which, is a small unit which takes a 3G signal which can then feed up to 5 other devices with a wifi signal. Like tethering with your phone but creating a personal wifi hotspot is all it does.......so, if you went to London say, and you wanted to use your wifi only iPad you could keep your mifi in your pocket and you would have a wifi connection at all times and if your hubby has an iPad he too could connect as long as he didn't wander too far away.......and it's password protected so no one can steal your bandwidth!

The Archangel

You mean it's got it's own antennae(shows my ignorance) so it's not plugged in anywhere but loose. How cool is that.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. I use the internet at home only or in spots where I can get Wifi. At other times, I have my iPhone if I need a quick look up of information and my iPhone is unlimited anyway. At work, I have a computer and don't have huge amounts of time to personally surf anyway, but if I want to look up a personal e-mail, or send a quick text using regular SMS or one of the messenger apps, I'll use my iPhone. That's where I need my 3G, but not on the iPad. I do however, use my iPad at work for references and notes all the time having nothing to do with internet use.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
You mean it's got it's own antennae(shows my ignorance) so it's not plugged in anywhere but loose. How cool is that.

Exactly, it has a phone sim in it but doesn't have any of the functionality of a phone, it just provides a localised wifi hotspot! I think it's great, especially say if you and family or colleague are travelling somewhere, you have a wifi signal all the time. You can buy them contracted or pay as you go just like a phone. I'm surprised that more of the phone providers don't supply them.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Exactly, it has a phone sim in it but doesn't have any of the functionality of a phone, it just provides a localised wifi hotspot! I think it's great, especially say if you and family or colleague are travelling somewhere, you have a wifi signal all the time. You can buy them contracted or pay as you go just like a phone. I'm surprised that more of the phone providers don't supply them.

The Archangel

Cool! I'll look into it then. What are the prices. By the way, have you noticed random threads lately?

Most reactions

Latest posts