What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi issue with iPad

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad keeps dropping connection to broadband network. What's the best way to 'bridge' the gap between the router on top floor (3rd floor) and iPad on the ground floor? I don't think its an issue with the iPad itself because my laptop use to do the same thing until I got a 30 metre ethernet cable and now it never drops connection and is as fast as in the room where the router is. However, I do most of computing on the ground floor, so I am looking for a way to close the space between the ground floor and the router.

I have very decent router so I don't think upgrading it will do the job. I also have a spare router. Can I use an ethernet cable to connect the second router to the first router and place the second it on the middle floor (from what I've read, I don't think this method actually works). So what are my options? I have tried a repeater and didn't do the job. If anything, made it worse in terms of speed. I have also logged into my broadband setup and tried various channels but only acquiring minimal improvements on some channels, not enough to drop connections on quite a regular basis.

By the way, when I go on the middle floor and of course the top floor itself (where the router is positioned), the speed improves dramatically and hardly experience breakages. I should say that I am on a pretty fast network delivering speeds up to 76mb/s but speed is usally under 5 mb/s on the ground floor over WiFi (around 60mb/s over ethernet connection).

Last edited:

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps you could move the router to the second floor. Also, if you ran a CAT 5 cable to the first floor just buy an access point from Linksys and plug the cable into that. I did that to get WiFi to my screen house in the back yard.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a netgear router....so I bought this to "extend" my network better on the first floor

Amazon.com: Netgear Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (WN2500RP): Computers & Accessories

where my router in on the second floor. You need to put the extender at the edge of the range of your existing network and it will extend it into the areas where your original network has a weak signal. Now, I have 4 networks, a 2.4 and 5GHz network for upstairs, and the same for downstairs. I just get on the strongest one where I'm at.

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that the Range Extender connects wirelessly to the Netgear router. So i think that you may have some of the same connection problems that you have with the iPad. The access point is hard wired to one of the router's ports. And it is neither a router or a switch. A switch does not usually have wireless capability.

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys...6912407&sr=1-10&keywords=linksys+access+point

sorry for the long URL.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe that the Range Extender connects wirelessly to the Netgear router. So i think that you may have some of the same connection problems that you have with the iPad. The access point is hard wired to one of the router's ports. And it is neither a router or a switch. A switch does not usually have wireless capability.

You won't have problem as you must position the range extender so that is can connected with the router. Then it sends out its own signal on a different SSID...and then your iPad, when near the range extender but far from the router, gets a good signal. It works quite well. The netgear extender has little lights on it that helps you find the best location to place it.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You won't have problem as you must position the range extender so that is can connected with the router. Then it sends out its own signal on a different SSID...and then your iPad, when near the range extender but far from the router, gets a good signal. It works quite well. The netgear extender has little lights on it that helps you find the best location to place it.

Agree. Plug the second router into the 30m cable and set is up with a separate SSID acting as either a router or extender. This will depend on the capabilities of the two routers. Worst case, you now have two wireless networks with one connection to the internet.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread.
I have a range problem with my wifi. The iPad has a weak signal and sometimes drops the connection when I'm about 30' away from the router.
The router is in our main hallway and serves the house OK. I now want to extend the signal to serve the garden. The Netgear wireless extender looks the best for my purposes.

Last edited:

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad keeps dropping connection to broadband network. What's the best way to 'bridge' the gap between the router on top floor (3rd floor) and iPad on the ground floor? I don't think its an issue with the iPad itself because my laptop use to do the same thing until I got a 30 metre ethernet cable and now it never drops connection and is as fast as in the room where the router is. However, I do most of computing on the ground floor, so I am looking for a way to close the space between the ground floor and the router.

I have very decent router so I don't think upgrading it will do the job. I also have a spare router. Can I use an ethernet cable to connect the second router to the first router and place the second it on the middle floor (from what I've read, I don't think this method actually works). So what are my options? I have tried a repeater and didn't do the job. If anything, made it worse in terms of speed. I have also logged into my broadband setup and tried various channels but only acquiring minimal improvements on some channels, not enough to drop connections on quite a regular basis.

By the way, when I go on the middle floor and of course the top floor itself (where the router is positioned), the speed improves dramatically and hardly experience breakages. I should say that I am on a pretty fast network delivering speeds up to 76mb/s but speed is usally under 5 mb/s on the ground floor over WiFi (around 60mb/s over ethernet connection).

Yes you can configure spare routers as access points to your Dhcp router. I suggest configuring them as pass through I think is the term, and then just have Ethernet cable connected to the APs

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ ipad987. The simplest answer seems to be to reposition your router on the first floor.

Most reactions

Latest posts