What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi IPad can do precise Gps Navigation, take a look non-believers ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this link I found to real world test on this subject. A iPhone or any gps enabled phone Tethered to a WiFi only iPad version CAN give u precise and accurate gps navigation and routing. Meaning as u move, iPad is being tracked. I've said this several times as I have done this b4 but some folks won't never believe till they see the proof in da pudding. Well here's ur pudding people...lmao
Does Tethered iPhone Send GPS to Wi-Fi iPad? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Reaction score
I think people are referring to when there is no data connection and when it is using a landline based wifi router .
If I'm outside using a star map and the wifi in the house it doesn't move with me vs when I'm hot spotting with my Inc

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Check out this link I found to real world test on this subject. A iPhone or any gps enabled phone Tethered to a WiFi only iPad version CAN give u precise and accurate gps navigation and routing.

This is not the iPad Wifi ONLY - there is a GPS-enabled device tethered. Not the same as taking your ipad alone out into countryside with no other phone or device and trying to get GPS-accurate Long/Lat.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad is using the ip address given to it by the phone. The ip address changes based on location so when your phone changes from tower to tower it gets a new ip.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone does not share its public IP address when in hotspot mode. It uses a private IP just like most other hot spots.

What is most likely happening here is simply that Kyle doesn't understand that the iPad can use even the faintest of wifi signals for location services and does not have to be actively connected to it to use it. It only needs to grab its MAC ID and signal strength. This can be done with a signal too weak to even list the wifi network in the list of of available networks.

Looking at the map in that video shows it is not a remote area at all. There was likely wifi networks in range all of the time... or certainly every 60 seconds.

Finally, this really doesn't prove the WiFi only iPad can do GPS navigation on its own. Of course it can when used with an external GPS--either by using the GNS 5870 GPS receiver which requires no jailbreak, or many other bluetooth GPS receivers if you do jailbreak.

Michael

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Tinman said:
The iPhone does not share its public IP address when in hotspot mode. It uses a private IP just like most other hot spots.

Michael

Still an ip address.

Yes, still an IP. However, it is the same IP for as long as it is connected to the iPhone and has nothing to do with the iPhone's IP at all. There is no correlation between the two.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somerled said:
Yes, still an IP. However, it is the same IP for as long as it is connected to the iPhone and has nothing to do with the iPhone's IP at all. There is no correlation between the two.

I said I think.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:

Michael

Still an ip address.

Exactly. Thanks for clearing that up in less words than it would have taken me. :)

Michael

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:

What is most likely happening here is simply that Kyle doesn't understand that the iPad can use even the faintest of wifi signals for location services and does not have to be actively connected to it to use it. It only needs to grab its MAC ID and signal strength. This can be done with a signal too weak to even list the wifi network in the list of of available networks.

Looking at the map in that video shows it is not a remote area at all. There was likely wifi networks in range all of the time... or certainly every 60 seconds.

Finally, this really doesn't prove the WiFi only iPad can do GPS navigation on its own. Of course it can when used with an external GPS--either by using the GNS 5870 GPS receiver which requires no jailbreak, or many other bluetooth GPS receivers if you do jailbreak.

Michael

Really? That sounds complicated. How would the iPad get location when location is ip address based and you don't get an ip unless you connect to the network? Sure it gets the mac but that doesn't tell anything.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? That sounds complicated. How would the iPad get location when location is ip address based and you don't get an ip unless you connect to the network? Sure it gets the mac but that doesn't tell anything.
What? It is exactly mac id that is used for wifi location services. You are confusing IP address location with wifi location service. IP address location is not even CLOSE to being accurate enough for this kind of usage.

And as I stated, you don't have to even connect to a wifi network to use it to acquire a location fix. Every wifi network broadcasts its MAC ID every 100 milliseconds--even if it is secured. That is what is used, combined with received signal strength.

I don't know where you got the idea that is based on IP address, but it is wrong.

BTW: If you think this is complicated you should see the complexity involved with satellite GPS. Much more complex than wifi location services, which pretty much is a brute-force-collected database of GPS coordinates matched to mac id. Not very complicated actually. Certainly not when compared to the physics, both classical and quantum, that goes into satellite GPS.

Michael

Last edited:
OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this link I found to real world test on this subject. A iPhone or any gps enabled phone Tethered to a WiFi only iPad version CAN give u precise and accurate gps navigation and routing.

This is not the iPad Wifi ONLY - there is a GPS-enabled device tethered. Not the same as taking your ipad alone out into countryside with no other phone or device and trying to get GPS-accurate Long/Lat.

Of course, I know that, it has to be tethered. Didn't want to make title of thread too long ;-). Nutting misleading though. I explained it right.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to prove that wifi version only could do it on it's "own". Proving that tethering a gps enabled phone can give u same or close to same results as the 3G version. It's even said a lot more people are figuring this out and opting for the lower priced wifi version since most people have phones and most of those phones are gps enabled. Just saying ;-). Good info you posted Tinman, I learn something new everyday.

Most reactions

Latest posts