What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi help with 10.5 inch iPad pro

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason my new iPad has been losing wifi and jumping to cellular when enabled. If I don't have cellular enabled the wifi connection icon goes from all 3 bars to completely gone, then within a minute comes back.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm coming from an iPad Air 1 that never had any connection problems with the wifi in my house, and neither does my iPhone 6+. I've tried switching off wifi assist, changing from 5ghz to 2.4ghz, and disabling MAC address restrictions with no success.

Any advice would be appreciated!

John

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not to sound like a broken record but the Soft Reboot feature fixes a lot of issues and is always one of the first things I try whenever any of my iDevices start acting strangly.

So just in case here are the directions.

Soft reboot your iPad Pro by pressing and holding both the power button and the home button. Keep holding them until after the unit turns off and don't let go until the Apple appears.

OP
J

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did try the soft reboot (actually first thing I tried :)), I also tried the reset network settings, and then completely resetting the device. None of those solutions have worked, I can watch the screen and every so often (it's always a random time) it drops wifi and the wifi icon totally disappears, unless I have cellular on in which case it goes to LTE, then back to wifi.

I do have an Apple store about 30 minutes away, I just wasn't sure if it warranted a trip if others were having the problem as well.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you make any changes on your iPad just before the WiFi problems started?

OP
J

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. It's really strange, and it happens sporadically. I've reset my cellular data usage and it's still reading over 200K used in a few hours in which the ipad was dormant. I've also contacted Apple for this, they gave me some recommendations including restoring it from a new download of the OS from iTunes. It hasn't helped. Diagnostics sent to Apple haven't shown any problems either. I've changed settings on my router, it seems to happen less when connected to 2.4Ghz than 5Ghz, but data transmission over cellular does still occur. I have a follow up call with Apple Support on Monday. It's really strange that this is happening.

OP
J

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to respond, it appears that ipadforums does not like iPads nor iPhones to connect to the forums. It keeps taking me to a spam site for $1000 gift cards!!

I currently have an open ticket with Apple support, which I'm supposed to get a call back from tomorrow. I've tried all of there suggestions, and even did a few things of my own. Moving the router, changing channel settings for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies. Nothing has stopped the iPad from switching from wireless to LTE and then back again, sometimes, requiring me to go back and manually connect. I will report this to the Apple support rep tomorrow during my call and see what his recommendations are. But I agree, I shouldn't be having this kind of problem with a device I paid over $800 for!!!!

I'll post back after I hear from the rep. If anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime, please let me know and I'll give them a try tomorrow (I work from home so it's easy to try things).

Thanks everyone for your help!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's weird that you have problems accessing this forum with your iPad. I'm using my iPad all of the time when I read posts and reply here.

Do you use Safari, or a different browser?

OP
J

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, using Safari. I was on my phone when I got the message that someone responded so I took a couple screen caps with the phone. This is what I get when I visit the forum on my iPhone or iPad. I can't even get to a login screen because it automatically goes to this page. I tried blocking the website and then I get an error that the website is blocked. Very strange as I don't have this problem with any other websites I've visited.

Again this occurs on both my iPhone (which I'm not having any problems with) and the new iPad which this thread is about. My macbook seems unaffected even using safari.

IMG_1070.jpgIMG_1071.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing your browsing history just in case a site you once visited is causing the problem? Turn on airplane mode and go to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data.
Then turn off airplane mode and try again to access the Forum.

OP
J

JohnRM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that information. That did help with the problem of not being able to access the site on my iPad. I'm unsure what happened here since I had just reset the device but it did work. I'm going to keep track of my wireless now and see if that may have made a difference. Who knows, there might have been something in that data causing the problem.

I'll see keep my appointment with Apple Support just in case, however.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s good to know.
What happened to you is called a browser kijacking, whereby the spammer makes it very difficult to get rid of that annoying pop up.

Most reactions