What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi hangup

jmm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, we have a problem with our ipad2's wifi connection constantly hanging up - as a result, we have to constantly reconnect, which works fine for... well, not long enough! the signal is good as our pc's have no such problem - if anyone here has experienced a similar issue, could you please tell us whether there is any possible work around?
(how good is the ipad's reception :confused:; how does it compare with a pc's?)
thanks

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your network problems...how frustrating! For a number of reasons an iPad's network speed won't generally be as fast as a regular computer's (and certainly not if the computer is connected via Ethernet rather than WiFi). For instance we have a 25Mbps/25Mbps FiOS broadband connection. Our Macs generally hit pretty close to those speeds, however our iPad's best is always around 20/19. That kind of differential is pretty common for most folks.

Of course a lot of it will have to do with where you're using your iPad with relation to the WiFi source...expect it to drop the further away you get. Interference from other sources (including wireless phones, microwaves, cell phones, etc.) can cause problems as well. Security settings are a big source of problems...the iPad prefers WPA or WPA2 and many folks have their networks set to the older (and less secure) WEP.

As Qdiddy mentions, sometimes just rebooting everything on your network (modem/router/iPad) can resolve the issue. Often a modem firmware update is all that's needed.

If that doesn't do it, try giving some of these recommendations a try:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
J

jmm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turns out the ipad works fine when taking it close to the modem/router!
all our other wifi instruments (including a blu-ray player) pick up the signal fine from that remote location, which clearly indicates that the ipad has a less than optimal antenna/reception system...

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turns out the ipad works fine when taking it close to the modem/router!
all our other wifi instruments (including a blu-ray player) pick up the signal fine from that remote location, which clearly indicates that the ipad has a less than optimal antenna/reception system...
A few questions then...

1. What security are you using?

2. What mode is your router set to (802.11n, 802.11b/g, etc.)?

3. On your iPad under WiFi settings what is your HTTP Proxy set to (Off, Manual or Auto)?

4. In the same settings what is your IP Address set to (DHCP, BootP or Static)?

TIA!

OP
J

jmm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zero security (closest neighbors far enough :))
"Up To 145 Mbps. Neighbor Friendly mode, for reduced interference with neighboring wireless networks. Provides two transmission streams with different data on the same channel at the same time, but also allows 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices. This is the default mode."
(extracted from the manual)
3. On your iPad under WiFi settings what is your HTTP Proxy set to (Off, Manual or Auto)?
off
dhcp

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zero security (closest neighbors far enough :))
"Up To 145 Mbps. Neighbor Friendly mode, for reduced interference with neighboring wireless networks. Provides two transmission streams with different data on the same channel at the same time, but also allows 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices. This is the default mode."
(extracted from the manual)
off
dhcp
One at a time I would try the following:

Set your security to WPA or WPA2. Early on there were numerous reports that the iPad's WiFi worked better using WPA/WPA2 rather than WEP or no security at all.

Set your router for 802.11a/b/g compatible or 802.llb/g/n.

Set your HTTP Proxy to "Auto" on your iPad

Again, one at a time and if it doesn't improve things go back to the original setting and try the next. After that it may end up being a combination of two or all three.

What type of router/WiFi are you using? Is the firmware version up to date?

Let us know how it goes.

OP
J

jmm

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i only have the following mode options, which one should i pick?

"Select the desired wireless mode. The options are:
  • Up to 54 Mbps - Legacy Mode with maximum speed of up to 54 Mbps for b/g networks.
  • Up to 145 Mbps - Neighbor Friendly Mode for 2.4GHz (b/g/n) - Default speed up to 145 Mbps in presence of neighboring wireless networks.
  • Up to 300 Mbps - Performance Mode - Maximum Wireless-N speed up to 300 Mbps.
The 2.4GHz (b/g/n) default is "Up to 145Mbps", which allows all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations. The 5GHz (a/n) default is "Up to 300Mbps", which allows all 11a and 11n wireless stations."

the router is a netgear wnr2000 with fw uptodate...

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

i only have the following mode options, which one should i pick?

"Select the desired wireless mode. The options are:
  • Up to 54 Mbps - Legacy Mode with maximum speed of up to 54 Mbps for b/g networks.
  • Up to 145 Mbps - Neighbor Friendly Mode for 2.4GHz (b/g/n) - Default speed up to 145 Mbps in presence of neighboring wireless networks.
  • Up to 300 Mbps - Performance Mode - Maximum Wireless-N speed up to 300 Mbps.
The 2.4GHz (b/g/n) default is "Up to 145Mbps", which allows all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations. The 5GHz (a/n) default is "Up to 300Mbps", which allows all 11a and 11n wireless stations."

the router is a netgear wnr2000 with fw uptodate...
You could try all three...no harm done. I'd wager the middle one, 802.11 b/g/n, would be the best, but it's hard to say...each router has it's own quirks.

I noted this discussion on another forum about your specific router and a fix for an iPad connection problem:

I had the same problem with my Netgear WNR2000 wireless router. Tried changing form wpa to wep, then no security and nothing worked. Even though my iPhone worked every time I made a change. Then I reset my router back to factory default, manually put in a wep security key (instead of letting it generate one), set the router to 54Mbps (even though it is an N router). That worked! Now I am going to bump up the speed on the router. Hopefully the problem was with the security settings on the router and not the speed, as I want to take advantage of the N bandwidth. I have had no problems with signal strength btw

Again, I'd stick with WPA security, but thought that might help.

One other thing to try is to change the channel the router is using. The default is probably "automatic". You could try setting it to a specific channel. Channel 6 and channel 11 are the most common.

Hang in there...it'll work eventually!

dtjsanderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having the same problem and did a network setting reset, added the network connection again and I have had no problems since.

magwizin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16g 3g ipad 2 and since last week I am failing to connect to my wifi office network. I get a message which says 'unable to connect to network'.

What can i do to fix this.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your WiFi issue.

The first thing I always recommend is to reboot your network. That includes your router/modem and your iPad. That takes care of things more often than not. If it's not possible to reboot the network at your workplace, I would try "forgetting" (deleting) the network from your iPad and setting it up again. Sometimes that's all it takes.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest looking here and trying each resolution:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

You could also look at the suggestions in the rest of this thread.

Using the search feature of this forum is your best bet for finding answers to most questions. Also take a look at the details linked below my signature for some valuable information about the forum as well as your iPad.

Welcome again, enjoy the forum and we'll look forward to hearing from you soon!

Larusso45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having an on again off again problem with my Ipad2 connecting to my Netgear wnr2000 router. Usually I would have to reset the router . The problem was gone till I got the new Ipad and it connected all the time, but the old Ipad 2 would not connect. I think I solved it by assigning a fixed IP to the old Ipad. For several days it has been connecting.

Most reactions