What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi dropping out after 4.3 upgrade

viettechlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have register the issue with Apple. They told me that only a limited number of ipads are having this problem. I smile and told him to get better informed.
They will call me today for a new solution , because the first one was ridicule ,to update the router firmware , which I did and no change.
As I stated on my previous posts on Airport extreme iPad doesnt dorm wifi as well on my Mifi dent from connection as well?!
Right now I am on mifi for more than half hour and is good. Usauly drops after 5-10 minutes.
Apple considering the number small is not much hope to fix the issue on the next update.
Good luck
macbookpro 15inch, iMac, iPhone , iPad Apple TV, iPod Touch, and all Apple toy, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh lord, I need my Internet access Always! More reason for me to stay right at my untethered jail broken 4.2.1,where everything wrks fine. It seems like every iOS upgrade people mention their wifi acting up. That trick,described in general settings>reset>network settings reset, not working for you all? There has been a lot of people posting that almost immediately after upgrading to 4.3, wifi drops like crazy. I know that would be very annoying for me. If this is a software bug or something, I hope apple fixes it once they release 4.3.1 soon. As I do plan to upgrade eventually but once untethered jailbreak is released for it. Good luck people

bresson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Xpress is brand new to the tune of $99. If the issue were the Xpress, I'd consider changing but my $200 netbook, iMac i7, and mabook air delivers optimal wifi speeds. The $200 netbook runs windows XP and is a 2006 model - no way it has more modern components than the iPad.

The fact that the iPad is the only device having problem indicates the issue is with the iPad - this would pass any analytical reasoning. I'm now so angry because this issue began 1 month after the iPad was purchased and has continued after a service warranty.

I've have the issue documented on video in side by side testing with my other devices. The iPad is moving at a measly 1.4mbs while the other devices are in the 3.5 - 4mbs range. For starters, this is going on youTube.

My situation is not unique as many, many people are having issues with the iPad yet there is little press coverage. It's not the first time Apple has been able to hoodwink the press with bling.

Have you tested the connection on another wifi hot spot ? The point I will make majority of wifi issues are caused by modem Router problems I realize you have an airport xoress however it may need an upgrade to fix the issue. Personally I would upgrade your network to a netgear n 600 as I am sure the problem will vanish. I understand the MacBook pro etc are faster however new generation devices have different n setups than older computers. I would also look at the security settings in the xpress as changing them may also fix it

What I am saying is very few users have problems with wifi once they upgrade their networks or change security settings

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reading your post you stated you had a service warranty on the ipad what type of service? ipads are replaced not serviced do you have the original ipad or a replacement.

I also asked you to take the ipad to another location or even better still an Apple service centre or retail store and test it's speed without doing that you will continue to go around in circles. My comments are based on my background of 30 years support and resolving issues with network issues for my customers. The most common problems apart from compatibility issues is incorrect settings In many cases it is far better to replace the modem you have with a modem wifi router as having 2 different brands of devices can create issues REGARDLESS if one or more computers etc work ok. Unless you are able to look at the configuration in the modem and also the router then it is impossible to come up with a solution. I may add generally Apple routers are excellent however you have a non Apple modem in the network brand unknown.

For the record I had a similar issue when I was on holidays last Jan The unit I was staying in had wifi netgear modem router. The ipad would connect but drop off and dead slow in browsing . I contacted the owner of the unit to get approval to try to fix it and I arranged a one of my family to bring his lap top to me to test it with his laptop. It was fine so we went in to the NETGEAR and changed the security settings on the router and bingo problem fixed no drop outs and fast speed.

I understand your frustrations but at the end of the day I suggest you follow my recommendations then if it is proved that the ipad is the fault replace it UW and then your life will be back to normal.

Last edited:

bresson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple must have sent me a replacement but the replacment had the same issues and same serial number (didn't think this was legal if it was a replacement)

Took the iPad to the Apple store tonight along with my MacBook Air. The Apple store download speed is in the range of 40mbs which is where my MacBook Air tested. The iPad downloaded in the 7mbs and uploaded in the 18mbs. Is this an issue? Not according to the Apple Genius who told me he doesn't use speed tests as a metric for broadband speed. Instead, he would take the iPad to the back and test it. Besides he said, the comparison isn't between the iPad and MacBook Air but between iPads: this is a confession that the iPad is not a broadband device.

Sure enough, he came back and stated there were no issues with the iPad. I asked him how he tested. His response: by comparing video quality between the iPads. I made him bring the "good iPad" to the floor and reminded him that video quality at 7mbs would be good and there would likely be little quality difference between the two iPads. Instead we watched the progress bar on each iPad and sure enough, my iPad was significantly slower. He offered to replace my iPad, which began experiencing issues not more than 30 days after purchase, with a refurbished model. This is a very crappy business model but I'm weary of it and took the refurbished model home.

Now I'm testing the new refurbished iPad and find it only has 1/2 to 2/3 wifi capacity of all the other devices. And this is either my second or third iPad so my conclusion is the wifi issue is systemic and many more if not most iPads users silently suffer this problem. The wifi issues are masked by a fast broadband service (getting 5mbs instead of 10mbs will still result in very good video quality and decent transfer rates) or 3G is transfer medium. The faster progress bar on the "good" iPad may have been downloading at 20 - 25mbs - fast but only 1/2 to 2/3 capacity of other mac devices.

I'd like to take a poll to see how many users have DSL as their main broadband medium. My home is rural NJ so I have little choice - 4mbs is fast and shows all iPad's warts.

Now I'm starting a blog to shame Apple and explore other options to redeem a $700 investment that is "not fit for purpose."

Reading your post you stated you had a service warranty on the ipad what type of service? ipads are replaced not serviced do you have the original ipad or a replacement.

I also asked you to take the ipad to another location or even better still an Apple service centre or retail store and test it's speed without doing that you will continue to go around in circles. My comments are based on my background of 30 years support and resolving issues with network issues for my customers. The most common problems apart from compatibility issues is incorrect settings In many cases it is far better to replace the modem you have with a modem wifi router as having 2 different brands of devices can create issues REGARDLESS if one or more computers etc work ok. Unless you are able to look at the configuration in the modem and also the router then it is impossible to come up with a solution. I may add generally Apple routers are excellent however you have a non Apple modem in the network brand unknown.

For the record I had a similar issue when I was on holidays last Jan The unit I was staying in had wifi netgear modem router. The ipad would connect but drop off and dead slow in browsing . I contacted the owner of the unit to get approval to try to fix it and I arranged a one of my family to bring his lap top to me to test it with his laptop. It was fine so we went in to the NETGEAR and changed the security settings on the router and bingo problem fixed no drop outs and fast speed.

I understand your frustrations but at the end of the day I suggest you follow my recommendations then if it is proved that the ipad is the fault replace it UW and then your life will be back to normal.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
It worked!

But ~ I am using the 3G, not my wifi. How come, because I am at home. I think I always use wifi at home, right? And 3G out in the field.

I am confused....:confused:

If your iPad was getting data over 3G when it came within range of Wi-Fi it will not switch over until it has finished doing whatever it was doing

86oski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*
Hopefully this may help. Let us know if it fixes the issue please.

Col., I tried this fix and it didn't work. I saw in another thread that someone also recommended rebooting the WiFi router. I'll try that and see if it helps.

I have tried my iPad at work, and the WiFi works fine. So there definitely is an issue with my router at home. I am quite confident that the problem started with the OS "upgrade," as my iPad had always worked just fine at home until then. I don't view the two possibilities (upgrade created problems, problem is with router) as being mutually exclusive. I hope Apple will fix whatever bug there is in the OS soon.

Someone asked about toggling airplane mode on and off. That is what I have had to do to get my WiFi working...every time I do it, my WiFi resumes working...at least for a short while.

Last edited:

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wi-fi dropping out after upgrade

Thanx to the "fix.":) I just got my iPad 2 and couldn't connect to networks I had been linked to prior to the upgrade. It worked on my iPod also. Something that I will remember with each IOS upgrade.:confused:
Dave

lolek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFI suddenly dropped - iPad2 v.4.3

I purchased not long time ago iPad 2 (ver. 4.3.3) ; everything was working fine, but after couple days suddenly I lost connection to Home WiFi Network.
Cross verified with other laptop showed that no issue with Wireless Router.
1/ I restart WiFi settings, reboot iPad, re-established new Network - didn't work
2/ meanwhile I turned off "b/g" and left "g" only, and removed access password - didn't help
3/ I noticed I could access local HW (router or other local Lan elements), thus gave idea that WiFi MUST be O.K. (but safari didn't access any Web page, Web Mail didn't work) - that gae me idea to check DNS, and here it was case. I received local default IP of my WiFI Router (192.168.1.1), after changing manually to public address of one of DNS server all work like charm.

place to check DNS : Setting > WiFi > (next) > IP address

Thank you all for ideas.

sun_n_moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad1 speed has dropped dramatically after 4.3 upgrade. I tried all the stuff listed - switch off holding home and on/ off button, forget wireless settings and even tried restore factory settings thru iTunes.

What else can I try? Problems I am facing - long time to download mails, push mail not working, mails take 5 min to be sent and slow loading of web pages.

Anything else I should try?

Most reactions