WiFi dropping out after 4.3 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Billee, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Billee

Billee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Here we go again!

Immediately after upgrading to OS 4.3, my WiFi connection drops a couple of times an hour. I tried all of the published fixes from the last OS upgrade WiFI problems with no success.

I can reconnect by "forgetting" and reestablishing the connection or turning Airplane mode on and off.

I had the same problem with the last OS upgrade and I returned that iPad to Apple and got one with the OS before that. That worked fine until I "upgraded" to 4.3.
  2. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467 / 0
    This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
    - Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
    - This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
    1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
    2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
    3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
    4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
    5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*
    Hopefully this may help. Let us know if it fixes the issue please.
  3. Ksane

Ksane iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Billee, I had the same problem with 4.2. When it didn't get better on 4.3 I scurried back to 3.2.1 and this is where I'm staying until everyone consistently has NO wifi problems. I had 4.2.1 the past month or so and was really hoping 4.3 would work and not drop the wifi like 4.2.1. No such luck.
    Now that I'm back on 3.2.1 it's reeeaaaallllly nice not having to keep going back and resetting my wifi every hour.
    PS Col Bris, I read your fix some time back and while I appreciate you posting it, it didn't work for me.
  4. colangelo

colangelo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wifi connection drop

I had the problem since christmas and finally solved it. I hooked up my PC directly to my Belkin N+ routers wired port and typed in 192.168.2.1 in my browser. Once in (no password required) I clicked on "Guest" and enabled this function. I made up a password and applied changes. After that, My Ipad worked fine for the first time in months. This works for Belkin N+ Routers only.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. limey-g

limey-g iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well since the upgrade fingers crossed I have had no wifi drop outs.
    Things also seem to be a little speedier .
    Hope it continues.
    Geoff
  6. 8nobody8

8nobody8 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Mine was doing the same...found that my belkin had a very strange setting where it had a "license" which would expire, I found this whilst tinkering with wifi settings on my laptop..not sure what it meant but when I went to the admin page for my belkin there it was. Set to expire the wifi connection every 2.5 hours. Turned that off and no more issues...it looked like some strange security protocol.
  7. bresson

bresson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bought my iPad in October. I asked the Apple store manager straight in face if Apple had resolved the Wifi issue. His reply, not unexpected, was he had never heard of a Wifi issue with the iPad.

All seem ok with the iPad until the upgrade to iOS 4. Since the upgrade, I've already sent the iPad back to Apple for a related WIFI issue which was only partially resolved by Apple. Then I notice how slow and pixelated netflix movies appear. Testing the iPad's download speed, I discovered it was downloading less than half the speed of of my Macbook Air and netbook. Further, the iPad became slow usually in the evenings. No, there is no interference as I live in a rural area and the Macbook Air and netbook do not suffer the same download speeds. I don't think the issue is router related either as my wireless is distributed by Apple's Airport Express.

Upgrading to iOS 4.3 was a huge disappointment as my download speed remains in the basement. At this point, I'm no longer willing to listen to Apple's customer service offer to exchange my iPad for a refurbished model if they cannot fix the issue. This is truly lousy and I'm considering legal channels to vent my frustration at this overhyped tablet.
  8. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467 / 0
    Have you tested the connection on another wifi hot spot ? The point I will make majority of wifi issues are caused by modem Router problems I realize you have an airport xoress however it may need an upgrade to fix the issue. Personally I would upgrade your network to a netgear n 600 as I am sure the problem will vanish. I understand the MacBook pro etc are faster however new generation devices have different n setups than older computers. I would also look at the security settings in the xpress as changing them may also fix it

What I am saying is very few users have problems with wifi once they upgrade their networks or change security settings
  9. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I have comcast high speed wireless Internet with Netgear router. Not sure the model number. I never once had it drop my signal or connection after upgrading iOS. Since first time linking it, never had to add in info again. Just cut wifi on in my apt., then connects instantly everytime. I love the ease of that. And I do use the more secure passcode key also. Sorry to hear these issues going on with wifi as I've never experienced it. I know it would be a pain for me, especially if my other devices are working fine on the network. Hope y'all get this resolved sooner thn later.
  10. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    4.3 has been great for me with no wifi issues. safari runs much faster as well.
  11. pastorsteve

pastorsteve iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Likewise. No issues. Don't assume that because you're dropping WiFi it is the iPad/software. Since the iPad WiFi would be connected "to" a modem/router, it will be dropped "by" said equipment - not simply fall off. It's just as annoying but different cause.
  12. pastorsteve

pastorsteve iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure why it matters but - why are you turning your airplane mode "on and off" or on for that matter. You shouldn't need to do that for anything.
  13. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Well ~ I upgraded a few days ago, but now, this minute, for some reason I can't access the internet on my iPad.:(

I am following these instructions, Colin. About to turn it back on.
  14. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    It worked!

But ~ I am using the 3G, not my wifi. How come, because I am at home. I think I always use wifi at home, right? And 3G out in the field.

I am confused....:confused:
  15. hsuthard

hsuthard iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm having the same issue after the upgrade to 4.3. I turn wifi off and then back on to reestablish a connection, every 20 minutes or so. It happened immediately after upgrading, and I've had my iPad or a year without any other issues (after grappling with this issue initially and working with Apple to resolve it last April). I haven't tried it yet with other networks, it's worth a shot.
  16. viettechlady

viettechlady iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have register the issue with Apple. They told me that only a limited number of ipads are having this problem. I smile and told him to get better informed.
    They will call me today for a new solution , because the first one was ridicule ,to update the router firmware , which I did and no change.
    As I stated on my previous posts on Airport extreme iPad doesnt dorm wifi as well on my Mifi dent from connection as well?!
    Right now I am on mifi for more than half hour and is good. Usauly drops after 5-10 minutes.
    Apple considering the number small is not much hope to fix the issue on the next update.
    Good luck
    macbookpro 15inch, iMac, iPhone , iPad Apple TV, iPod Touch, and all Apple toy, Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  17. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Oh lord, I need my Internet access Always! More reason for me to stay right at my untethered jail broken 4.2.1,where everything wrks fine. It seems like every iOS upgrade people mention their wifi acting up. That trick,described in general settings>reset>network settings reset, not working for you all? There has been a lot of people posting that almost immediately after upgrading to 4.3, wifi drops like crazy. I know that would be very annoying for me. If this is a software bug or something, I hope apple fixes it once they release 4.3.1 soon. As I do plan to upgrade eventually but once untethered jailbreak is released for it. Good luck people
  18. bresson

bresson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately the Xpress is brand new to the tune of $99. If the issue were the Xpress, I'd consider changing but my $200 netbook, iMac i7, and mabook air delivers optimal wifi speeds. The $200 netbook runs windows XP and is a 2006 model - no way it has more modern components than the iPad.

The fact that the iPad is the only device having problem indicates the issue is with the iPad - this would pass any analytical reasoning. I'm now so angry because this issue began 1 month after the iPad was purchased and has continued after a service warranty.

I've have the issue documented on video in side by side testing with my other devices. The iPad is moving at a measly 1.4mbs while the other devices are in the 3.5 - 4mbs range. For starters, this is going on youTube.

My situation is not unique as many, many people are having issues with the iPad yet there is little press coverage. It's not the first time Apple has been able to hoodwink the press with bling.

19. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467 / 0
    Reading your post you stated you had a service warranty on the ipad what type of service? ipads are replaced not serviced do you have the original ipad or a replacement.

I also asked you to take the ipad to another location or even better still an Apple service centre or retail store and test it's speed without doing that you will continue to go around in circles. My comments are based on my background of 30 years support and resolving issues with network issues for my customers. The most common problems apart from compatibility issues is incorrect settings In many cases it is far better to replace the modem you have with a modem wifi router as having 2 different brands of devices can create issues REGARDLESS if one or more computers etc work ok. Unless you are able to look at the configuration in the modem and also the router then it is impossible to come up with a solution. I may add generally Apple routers are excellent however you have a non Apple modem in the network brand unknown.

For the record I had a similar issue when I was on holidays last Jan The unit I was staying in had wifi netgear modem router. The ipad would connect but drop off and dead slow in browsing . I contacted the owner of the unit to get approval to try to fix it and I arranged a one of my family to bring his lap top to me to test it with his laptop. It was fine so we went in to the NETGEAR and changed the security settings on the router and bingo problem fixed no drop outs and fast speed.

I understand your frustrations but at the end of the day I suggest you follow my recommendations then if it is proved that the ipad is the fault replace it UW and then your life will be back to normal.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  20. bresson

bresson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple must have sent me a replacement but the replacment had the same issues and same serial number (didn't think this was legal if it was a replacement)

Took the iPad to the Apple store tonight along with my MacBook Air. The Apple store download speed is in the range of 40mbs which is where my MacBook Air tested. The iPad downloaded in the 7mbs and uploaded in the 18mbs. Is this an issue? Not according to the Apple Genius who told me he doesn't use speed tests as a metric for broadband speed. Instead, he would take the iPad to the back and test it. Besides he said, the comparison isn't between the iPad and MacBook Air but between iPads: this is a confession that the iPad is not a broadband device.

Sure enough, he came back and stated there were no issues with the iPad. I asked him how he tested. His response: by comparing video quality between the iPads. I made him bring the "good iPad" to the floor and reminded him that video quality at 7mbs would be good and there would likely be little quality difference between the two iPads. Instead we watched the progress bar on each iPad and sure enough, my iPad was significantly slower. He offered to replace my iPad, which began experiencing issues not more than 30 days after purchase, with a refurbished model. This is a very crappy business model but I'm weary of it and took the refurbished model home.

Now I'm testing the new refurbished iPad and find it only has 1/2 to 2/3 wifi capacity of all the other devices. And this is either my second or third iPad so my conclusion is the wifi issue is systemic and many more if not most iPads users silently suffer this problem. The wifi issues are masked by a fast broadband service (getting 5mbs instead of 10mbs will still result in very good video quality and decent transfer rates) or 3G is transfer medium. The faster progress bar on the "good" iPad may have been downloading at 20 - 25mbs - fast but only 1/2 to 2/3 capacity of other mac devices.

I'd like to take a poll to see how many users have DSL as their main broadband medium. My home is rural NJ so I have little choice - 4mbs is fast and shows all iPad's warts.

Now I'm starting a blog to shame Apple and explore other options to redeem a $700 investment that is "not fit for purpose."