wifi connections

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by MzReborn, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MzReborn

MzReborn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm buying a ipad 2 wifi and I wanted to know if there is anyway I can get wifi on the go. I heard about a service called boingo has anyone tried it?

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure where you are but I have a wifi only iPad and I use a mifi to provide me with a connection while on the go. It converts a 3G (or 4G) cellular connection to wifi. I can also tether from my iPhone.

The Archangel

3. MzReborn

MzReborn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I heard of that but I don't want to jailbreak anything

4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's fine, I'm not jailbroken, my iPad is stock and works perfectly with the mifi and tethering to my iPhone.

The Archangel

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi MzReborn - welcome to the forum! :) I have an iPad 2 w/ Wi-Fi only and use the device (w/ a Bluetooth KB) when on the road - invariably stay @ places w/ Wi-Fi, either in the room and/or in the main buildings - this is usually a 'free' offering. Now if you want internet contact while in a vehicle or in a locale w/o Wi-Fi, then Gabriel's suggestions are a good consideration, i.e. using a 'cellular' connection to establish a Wi-Fi hotspot; the downside is the typical added expense - might be an extra charge on the cellular phone or w/ Mi-Fi, a monthly contract, although I believe there are 'pay as you go' options (in fact, I must look into the latter!) - good luck and let us know what you did! Dave

6. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the mifi I use is a PAYG type, mainly because I won't use it for a couple of months and then I find myself needing it daily.

The Archangel

7. zeeshanaayan07

zeeshanaayan07
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Failing connection of wifi... :-(

8. quake5254

quake5254
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Try switching off your modem and router for a minute then switching it on again. Hope that works..

9. MzReborn

MzReborn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Update: I have a iPad Retina Display wifi version. I still can't find a way to tether or find wifi out where I am ( out in the middle of no where), boingo doesn't have service out here I'm to far away. I'm in the US and I need wifi or tethering. mywi sounds good but I don't want to jailbreak or unlock anything. any other wifi service out there?

10. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ok, to be clear, you don't need to jailbreak your iPad for it to receive a wifi signal from any other source.

If you have a mobile phone do you get a clear cellular signal?

The Archangel