What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi connection is slow...

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my mini today and the wifi connection is crap... I've restarted the router multiple times. I've restarted the mini a couple of times. Tried a few other things that I found online and it is still crap. I don't know what else to do... I ordered it from apple.com and was wondering, can i take it to the apple store and have them exchange it for a new one? I'm not even sure if that will help... I'm gonna go to school tomorrow and try the schools wifi and see if I'm still having the same problem. If I am, I'm hoping to exchange it for one at the apple store...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Connections.

Could be you got a duff one. It can happen. Let us know how you go connecting to other networks.

Ernie_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of stories on the internet of wifi issues with Apple devices running IOS 6. It appears that Apple have not yet owned up to this and provided a fix.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are lots of stories on the internet of wifi issues with Apple devices running IOS 6. It appears that Apple have not yet owned up to this and provided a fix.

For every "oh dear" tale that you read about there are hundreds, if not thousands, of happy iPad owners running the latest system update.
There are many variables that affect "wifi issues". The router, the distance, the place, the iPad settings, you name it. If there was anything to "own up to" why would Apple not have done it? If they owned up to the inferior quality of its Maps facility and reassured everyone they are working on it, why would they not have looked into that terrible WiFi problem, that seems to me to be feeding on itself with "stories on the Internet" that people seem to lap up. There have been fixes to problems without Apple having to own up to anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my mini today and the wifi connection is crap... I've restarted the router multiple times. I've restarted the mini a couple of times. Tried a few other things that I found online and it is still crap. I don't know what else to do... I ordered it from apple.com and was wondering, can i take it to the apple store and have them exchange it for a new one? I'm not even sure if that will help... I'm gonna go to school tomorrow and try the schools wifi and see if I'm still having the same problem. If I am, I'm hoping to exchange it for one at the apple store...

When I first got my mini the wifi was so slow I almost took it back that first day. For whatever reason it just needed to connect to the routers at work and home multiple times each and then it became very fast. I didn't do anything initially I thought that should have taxed it too much, but in retrospect, I was trying to download a bunch of apps I use on my phone and I think that is what slowed it down because everything was fine after it finished the downloads. I should not have tried to do so many at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
C

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was messing around with my mini at school and it was doing great on the internet. Didn't have any problems loading youtube videos or browsing the web. So I'm not sure what the deal is. When I'm at the house, it's spotty and slow. At home, when I'm trying to load a page it says "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cheese said:
I was messing around with my mini at school and it was doing great on the internet. Didn't have any problems loading youtube videos or browsing the web. So I'm not sure what the deal is. When I'm at the house, it's spotty and slow.

Well, the good news is that you've ruled out a problem with the iPad. You also reset your router, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Wow, you are making us think about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the bandwidth of your Internet connection isn't good enough. Your router could also be faulty. To check if the problem is with your ISP or your router, try a different router at home. If your problems go away, the problem is with your router, if not, then your problem lies with your ISP.

OP
C

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got a Galaxy S3. Recently as in a month ago and it never had any of these problems so I don't understand why it would be the router or the ISP if the GS3 workes just fine. My brother has an iPad 2 and it has no problem using the wifi connection either... Could it be because the router is a little old and it uses a different authentication method than a newer router?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cheese said:
I recently got a Galaxy S3. Recently as in a month ago and it never had any of these problems so I don't understand why it would be the router or the ISP if the GS3 workes just fine. My brother has an iPad 2 and it has no problem using the wifi connection either... Could it be because the router is a little old and it uses a different authentication method than a newer router?

That could well be contributing to the problem. Have you tried resetting the router and updating the firmware?

OP
C

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried resetting the router and ISP. Haven't tried updating the firmware though.. How do I go about doing that?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cheese said:
I have tried resetting the router and ISP. Haven't tried updating the firmware though.. How do I go about doing that?

You would have to go to your router manufacturer's website to check if an update is available. There should be directions on how to update your particular router on the website or the manual that came with your router.

OP
C

cheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My router is a Wireless G Plus MIMO made by Belkin if that helps... Model #: F5D9230-4

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts