What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi connect ability

blkjac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have 2 iPad 2's, purchased 1 week apart. One will connect to the home router while upstairs with no problem while the other will not connect. Any ideas or help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

OP
B

blkjac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Neither will work. Thanks for the response.

Jack

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh oh. Caught out. I didn't answer your question properly so I deleted my reply.

OK. I'll put some thought into this and see if I can help. Have you tried rebooting the router. That can sometimes help.

OP
B

blkjac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. The issue is distance or minor obstructions such as a wall or floor.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, unless you have a HUGE house, I would expect most wifi routers to be able to reach all parts.

It might be worth looking at Apples's Airport Extreme to replace your router, and using an Airport Express as a signal booster. As a bonus, you could connect wireless speakers to the Express.

I know this doesn't help, and I understand the frustration when one device works and another does not. I have one of those teenager things that lives in the basement and only surfaces when Netflix stops working, so I'm well used to this problem.

I recently changed my network security from WEP to WPA2, because my son's iPad mini refused to connect, after months of working flawlessly. No problems since then. It could be worth trying that out.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found that AppleAppStore does not offer a WIFI scanner which can tell you your WIFI router, access point, or hotspot signal strength.
If you have a cheap Android tablet and install something like a wifi analyzer then you can see if the problem is with your router or something else.
Ipads are very good at wifi performance so what you are experiencing I would guess that it is your router.

There is a caveat with Android tablets. If you get one that is too cheap then the wifi won't work on those very well.
We can hope that Apple allows someone to develop a wifi scanner app for ios.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have 2 iPad 2's, purchased 1 week apart. One will connect to the home router while upstairs with no problem while the other will not connect. Any ideas or help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Assuming that both IPads can connect to other access points, without issue, then it's your router.
Login as admin, specify MAC address of all connected devices.
I suspect you have an IP address or host name issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts