WIFI antenna .....and then some ?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by A. GOODWIN, Aug 24, 2016.

1. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Well by accident I discovered a neat little trick on I pad 2.
    I've replaced the wifi antennas several times over on /in ipad 2's and usually there's nothing wrong with the ones I have taken out.
    As in 90% of iPads I work on ,its usually the front glass and digitizer that are in need of repair . However when someone needs my services for just such , I sometimes will throw a new antenna in as a sorta customer/business relationship for future work . You can find really good deals on high end front glass and digitizer and usually the manufacture will add in one for free . . Also others add things in for free like the bezel
    trim , or the tools (theyre all crap ) . So for repeat business I will throw it in as a n/c .
    So as I was testing one I recently done for a customer , I was far from wifi and had only 1 bar of signal strength, and as I was looking it over i accidentally placed a regular antenna ( mine in reference is a magnetic type that is used to pick up metal objects in hard to reach places or dropped in hard to reach places is more like ) like on any portable radio, boom box CD player across the back of I pad and the signal strength shot all the way up minus one bar .Excellent strength . Well I know all there is to know about antennas , but it never occurred to me to simply lay one across ipad for extra distances . Discovery is a lot of great fun whether by accident or sought after

2. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The best way to avoid damaging the antenna on an iPad 2 is to make sure you seperate the antenna's adhesive from the glass by inserting your opening tool under the glass between the home button and the antenna 's location and sweep from left to right , seperating the antenna from the glass. If you try to seperate by swiping from right to left over the antenna, you will likely damage it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

4. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

5. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely Brian ,actually when I first started and really green that was my first mistake , only I didn't realize the damage until after I got the digitizer and glass back in ,new bezel ring , and adhered to frame body . Needless to say as I was taking the new off .....yep
    I cracked it . Also if you pry under front right (home button to the left)...... Avoid going in to far or you may a damage the ribbon loop that is in combination with , volume up/down , sleep or power off button,
    the lock slide switch , and it also has the camera or continue circuits tab plug in . There's a lot on this one flex ribbon and it's awkward to install .

6. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yes that's a tricky one as well but fortunately I think I've only busted 2 power/ volume cables out of the dozens of iPad 2s I've done . A little trick of the trade here: buy a $20 toaster oven from Walmart. Set the temp to 65-70 degrees Celsius and place the iPad inside face up for 7-10 minutes. This will loosen the adhesive up to make the removal process a lot easier.

7. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Aw hell yeah ! What a great idea . That's pretty much the toughest
    thing. Getting the old shattered glass off. Ummmmmmm, the more shattered , the tougher it gets . I will do that tonight ,.i have been using a 1250 watt blow dryer , but it's tricky at knowing when to pull off . Hey man I'm sorry im Alan by the way ,. Umm I'm an ekectrician have state masters license from ALABAMA, own a small business and have been doing electrical from a to. Z in over 34 yearsThe reason for me telling you this is well for the obvious reason of introduction , but also I've In my career past have seen what a little degree in heat can do to a lcd board .so hey man thanks , what a great tip and even better you know the statistics. .
    Hell icant wait to to try it out , there will be at least 1on my desk by fri . Thank you Brian

8. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Glad to be of help, Alan. I keep a heat gun on hand to add some extra heat to the stubborn iPads but only use the 750w setting and aim away from the lcd. Another trick is to use goo gone first then rubbing alcohol to remove the old adhesive from the metal frame. For best results I skip the crap adhesive that comes with the replacement digitizers and use Bowlertech Adhesives. They add a few $$s to the parts bill but the end result is an iPad that looks as good as new without any lifting issues.

9. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I do the same thing on the adhesives . Umm I seem to have learned a few things from you. And Yaknow from observation and some common sense I simply have learned a lot by just by jumping in with all of nothing on my first one about 1 1/2 years ago.
    For example the adhesives that comes with just about any manufacturer are poor at best and this is a good topic . Like you I too use bowler tech adhesives as well . About the third one i repaired using the adhesive strips that came with the glass ,
    I gave to customer and all was fine , about three days later , he returned and the glass had about a 1 1/2 " semi circle type fracture from the frame out and back to the frame . Well it was functional and he told me he was simply putting a snug type protective case on and said he felt it crack under his thumb and wanted me to install another one for same price . Well I got to investigating and it was the damn adhesive strip . No cushion . They aren't thick enough and also won't bond in many places and leaves a void there . So yes . It's the most important thing to me as far as installing kits. Plus there are only 4 peices as opposed to like 8 or 9. Well I ordered another glass and digitizer and at that point i
    researched and found bowler tech and repaired thei pad andi didn't charge him again explained what I thought it was .sure enough. That was it .that older fella has given me more business than any other form of advertising I could do . So alright then .......am about to head to wal mart and get a toaster oven or up here the yanks call them Bagle ovens , in Boston .i am born and raised in ALABAMA . We just call em .......wellll toaster ovens ......huhuhhaha......

10. A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I get like a5 pack for about 27.00 and some change.....Ummm yeah they are (bowlertech) a good company . Ummmm ,Magen I'm finished with a repair you can tell the difference in simply the way I pad feels ....... It to me feels solid confident , unlike the other adhesive strips ...... They leave me the feel oh hollow and light .....also that goo be gone is the best for all kind of projects . I first used about 6 years ago . I thought by the name itwas a joke . So like I tracked in a big portion of aluminox electrical grease on a multi million dollar homes champagne carpet that I installed a 400 amp service to inBaton Rouge Louisiana. I tried every thing even steaming , but to no avail . Huhuhaha so that carpet was probably a damn years salary . HUHUH so like I went to a dollar general store and paid like 1. 47$ for a small bottle and after 150.00 $ on other crap that just made it worse .that stuff was so impressive that I was afraid I might not find it back home and bought out 22 more of all they had .
    I love that stuff

#10 A. GOODWIN, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016