What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wife's new ipad Wi Fi problem

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wi-Fi terns off after 5 min. Needs to keep turning it on.
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wi-Fi terns off after 5 min. Needs to keep turning it on..........

Hello - you really need to provide much more information for a reasonable response: 1) What is the 'new' iPad model and is a warranty intact (including AppleCare); 2) What iOS is installed; 3) Is this a Wi-Fi home network and if so do other devices connect w/o a problem; 4) Has the iPad been tried on another Wi-Fi network w/ success or not; and 5) What have you done to try to resolve the issue? Answers to these questions will greatly help.

In the meantime and if not already done, have you Reset the iPad (i.e. holding down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then releasing allowing a reboot) and power recycled your router and ISP provider equipment, such as a cable modem (both may be in a single unit)? Dave :)

OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forgot wi-fi password. Tried using the ATT password on the back of the router but did not work.
How can i find her wi-fi password. Thanks

dckeks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot wi-fi password. Tried using the ATT password on the back of the router but did not work.
How can i find her wi-fi password. Thanks

Do you have any other devices connected to the router that work. If so you should be able to look up the password on them.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can’t see the WiFi passwords on devices!

Hi Jupiter - a confusing situation, me thinks! The OP never responded to the questions I asked (thus, my lack of reposting) - then mentioned this 'password' issue - if his wife was able to use Wi-Fi for a few minutes and then was disconnected, a password must have been used initially or was not necessary? - we need a LOT more input. Dave :)

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree, Dave, but I felt that dcheks' suggestion needed correcting. We both know that when a password is typed in, it promptly disappears.

dckeks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have clarified devices. If they have a computer connected to the Router then the password can be looked up on it. Probable the easiest option is the reset the router to defaults and then reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should have clarified devices. If they have a computer connected to the Router then the password can be looked up on it. Probable the easiest option is the reset the router to defaults and then reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings.

Hi Dckeks - thanks for the additional information - not sure if your router is attached to a PC or a Mac, but my Apple Extreme router is connected to an iMac - AirPort Utility is Apple's app that allows setup and configuration changes of the router - the 'wireless' passwords are stored there as asterisks, so I still need to have them stored elsewhere (for me, a password app is used); so depends on the configuration program for your router as to whether the passwords are there 'unmasked', plus a password might be needed to get into the config program?

In not already done, have you checked AT&T's website HERE - not sure if this information will resolve your issue but worth a look. But if of no help, resetting your router to the default settings (there is usually a little button to push), and then as you suggest reconfiguring the device might be your best option. Good luck and let us know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.56.17 AM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It’s pretty rare for any computer to store a password in the clear. It might be in the clear on the router, but since you need the router’s password to access it’s settings, that is rarely helpful.

Now, if your computer is set up with Keychain (on a Mac) or similar service on a PC; the router password may have been stored automatically. In that case you’ll need the computer’s password (probably for an admin account) to access and see the Keychain. Hopefully these are different passwords.

I agree, if all else is lost, it should be possible to restore the router to defaults and re-configure it. However, that’s only true if you own and installed the router yourself. If it was installed by the ISP, then contacting them would be the wiser course.

dckeks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It’s pretty rare for any computer to store a password in the clear. It might be in the clear on the router, but since you need the router’s password to access it’s settings, that is rarely helpful.

Now, if your computer is set up with Keychain (on a Mac) or similar service on a PC; the router password may have been stored automatically. In that case you’ll need the computer’s password (probably for an admin account) to access and see the Keychain. Hopefully these are different passwords.

I agree, if all else is lost, it should be possible to restore the router to defaults and re-configure it. However, that’s only true if you own and installed the router yourself. If it was installed by the ISP, then contacting them would be the wiser course.

Actually it is very easy to find in the Wi-Fi settings on the a pc. However, it doesn’t seem like we are getting any responses on this from the author.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually it is very easy to find in the Wi-Fi settings on the a pc. However, it doesn’t seem like we are getting any responses on this from the author.

Not sure what you mean by the statement in bold above? Are you referring to your ISP (assume AT&T)? If not, I'm not clear about the reference - did you try to reset the router and reconfigure? Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Mistaken response - please ignore, sorry - :confused:

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, I suppose @dckeks is referring to the OP of this thread, who is the one with the problem, and hasn’t replied so far.
Dckeks is one of the members trying to help. He’s not the one with the issue.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, I suppose @dckeks is referring to the OP of this thread, who is the one with the problem, and hasn’t replied so far.
Dckeks is one of the members trying to help. He’s not the one with the issue.

Sorry, my confusion - time to go to bed - ;) Thanks, Johanna - Dave :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts