Wife with iPad vs Husband with Xoom

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Butterflyrf71, Apr 1, 2011.

1. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yep. When compered to iPAD-2

The Xoom is 730g same as iPAD1
    The iPAD 2 is only 613g ( for the 3G)

2. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    This is a point I made about Android phones before - in the UK (and anywhere else handsets are heavily subsidised by mobile networks), Android phones are much cheaper than iPhones. Now, some of us are willing to pay the premium for Apple devices because of customer service, build quality, because we just ARE the coolest kids in town... Etc.. ;)

*IF* the Android handsets had contract prices and up front costs like the iPhone, I would think their uptake rate would suffer massively. I'm not saying people would go to Apple, but I think there would be less smart phones in circulation. People are happy to own a handset they get for free on their £20pm contract, but to ask them to pay £100+ upfront for their handsets is a bit psychological barrier for most people. Mobile phones are considered to be, largely, a 'free' item in these markets. (My 3Gs was the first phone I have ever actually paid up front for...).

Now (getting to the point) I think this is the problem many are having with the tablets. To compete on a level price, they have to be better than an iPad of which Apple as it's own tied in revenue stream (iTunes & App Store) which the actual tablet makers don't have; they have to make their profit with the device itself. They can't rely on phone networks to subsidise the cost, because they don't have to have a 'phone' connection.

So the tablet x is either going to be better or equal to an iPad but more expensive, or cheaper but technically just not as good. My personal view is that it is probably only the App Store and iTunes which make the iPad economically feasible for Apple (hence their dislike of out of app purchases and walled garden approach). This enabled them to bring it to the Market before anyone else could financially - now everyone else is chasing but the fact, as I see it, is that tablets simply arent economical as stand alone products.

This is why I think that Android is a bit buggered as a tablet OS unless it can hold on a few years for the tech to become cheaper.

It's certainly interesting to read someone's like for like comparison of the actual user experience though :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

3. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    No one really gets it in this thread. The reason people love the iPad is that you are close to a MacBook experience with the instant on HD apps. You can pretty. Much do every normal thing that you use a lap top for because there are 65,000 HD apps for the iPad.

When you chose to run an iPhone type app on the iPad it is pretty much a big iPod Touch. That is exactly what a Xoom is, it is pretty much a big Android phone experience. There are less than 21 true HD apps for Honeycomb Android but several thousand Android phone aps that run on the Xoom.

There was recently a long discussion on the Android fan site about the dearth of real tablet apps for any Android tablet.

There is no comparison of the real powerful ipad tablet experience that people lust for and Android tablets like the Xoom.

People who want a mere big screen phone running old Android phone apps will be happy with a ten inch Android tablet. There is nothing wrong with that but many millions want far more which is why Apple can not meet the global iPad demand. Android is woefully far behind in the tablet market when it comes to the tablet apps most expect.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. uniquename

uniquename
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've used both enough to say the ipod touch to ipad comparison is much closer to the android phone to xoom comparison. Now, if you had said that about the galaxy tab, the archos70, or any of the non-honeycomb android tablets I would agree.

5. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I do get the point of this thread. It is not to compare Mac book experience to anything. It is to compare tablet to tablet experience.
    Physical weight and size has nothing to do with Mac experience. Smudge resistance has nothing to do with Mac experience. Battery life has nothing to do with Mac experience, the OP has both and is comparing experiences of both to each other, not a Mac.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

6. Butterflyrf71

Butterflyrf71
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think some people are missing the point here. The point is not technical.

The point was not to offend anyone or compare Mac vs Android.

Tablet vs Tablet is how we see it.

We just thought we would share what we are finding. Others may have totally different experiences.

We are not IT experts, or software developers. We are everyday gadget geeks exploring.

My husband is currently in Europe and we will post how he managed with the Xoom.

To date we also noticed that the iPad charges faster, and that the mic quality seems to be overall a tad better on the iPad as well.

Neither of us is using 3G.

Please try not to take this thread too seriously and argue over what any of this means.

We were just trying to have some fun comparing.

Thanks to all that liked the idea for the post. I hope you got where I was going.

More to come for those that are interested.

7. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    That sure as heck isn't the reason I like my iPad. I have used MacBooks on several occasions and have never had a burning desire to buy one. I used an iPad once and I immediately wanted it. If the iPad was more like a MacBook and less like a big iPod Touch I probably wouldn't own it.

8. DrHouse

DrHouse
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The main point is user experience. Having the fastest CPU, or having more apps, or having USB connectors are technical features, but in the end, what does really matter is user experience.

VicoPad addict!

9. Butterflyrf71

Butterflyrf71
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Exactly DrHouse. Well put. This is simply meant to be about user experience.

My husband gets a kick out of humor, therefore the analogies about the brick and frisbee, as well as the website loading where the iPad smoked the Xoom.

Though I can see my husband making some changes before he gets home from Europe and he may break out a stopwatch next time we race to a web site.

:)

10. uniquename

uniquename
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think it's great to compare with an open mind. On that note, it could be learning curve or a limitation to the iPad. I was going to quote only the tablet to tablet line. Text selection on my android is easier (for me).

I've been in IT for fifteen years, and I love my toys. I'm someone open to all OS options, and I haven't found a one size fits all in anything, likely never will. Since the iPad is the new toy, the android tablet is getting neglected but not forever.