What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wife with iPad vs Husband with Xoom

Butterflyrf71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, someone asked me to post our findings on the side by side comparison of both the iPad (me) vs the Xoom (husband).

I prefer Apple. He prefers Android.

Here is what we have so far:

On entering a web address into the URL bar to a site neither of us has visited yet on the mobile devices, both Safari and Terra smoked Google Chrome by loading a min of 20-30 sec faster (often even longer for him).

He has Flash Player, so he gets a point for that. But neither of us has Java for games online, etc. (more controversial issues I know). Sorry But Cloud and Swifter Apps both fail for Flash content for me so far.

Some of his Apps are free, but most are the same.

The Xoom is as heavy as a brick while the iPad is more like a frisbee :)

He was able to replace his native keyboard to a more natural one with arrow keys. I know this a controversial issue but I still miss the arrow keys.

I have arthritis and it's a challenge for me to not have them. I plan to go the way of an App to type then copy/paste.

Dragon is free for us and that App is WAY more accurate on the iPad. I use it a lot for writing in lieu of typing.

Each has it's own pros and cons. It's a matter of preference really. He has an Android phone so the Xoom was a better choice due to comfort.

He is Apple challenged.

I didn't even consider a Xoom. Hands down I pick the iPad over other tablets any day.

I'll try to add more as we each discover our newest gadgets.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea on this thread as you know first hand. Definitely keep posting your views and finding s on comparison. Like for ex. If y'all both have the same app downloaded on both devices, which one performs better, etc.. Which one can do more with ease of use or less clicks/ touches to the screen. If Android's imagination and and Apple's ingenuity combined, they could take over the world ;-)

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On entering a web address into the URL bar to a site neither of us has visited yet on the mobile devices, both Safari and Terra smoked Google Chrome by loading a min of 20-30 sec faster (often even longer for him).

What does this mean? What possible website were you going to that takes 20-30 seconds to load? Are you saying that Safari is 20-30 seconds faster than the Browser on the Xoom? If that is the case, then I have to assume that it was a flash heavy page and he has his Xoom set to "Always on" while the ipad just chose not to load any of the flash. Or were you guys using 3g? I am NOT a fan of the Xoom, but the iPad2 is fairly even with it with regards to web browsing (maybe 20ish% faster at most).

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
What does this mean? What possible website were you going to that takes 20-30 seconds to load? Are you saying that Safari is 20-30 seconds faster than the Browser on the Xoom? If that is the case, then I have to assume that it was a flash heavy page and he has his Xoom set to "Always on" while the ipad just chose not to load any of the flash. Or were you guys using 3g? I am NOT a fan of the Xoom, but the iPad2 is fairly even with it with regards to web browsing (maybe 20ish% faster at most).

20-30seconds for an iPad or xoom to load a webpage is ridiculous. I never had a page take that long or I woulvpdve been stopped it and went somewhere else. I would think iPad loads the page faster but not a night vs, day difference. I know on android mobile phones, the browser is pretty fast. I can't compare to iPhone as I've never owned one, yet. I was thinkn about getting iphone4 but once I saw/heard/read specs on Samsung Atrix, it blows iPhone 4 away. The first n only mobile phone with dual core CPU. And dual cams ;-) basically the most powerful mobile phone,currently, in the world! Same price as iPhone 4 and I could actually get it cheaper since I'm due for an upgrade with AT&T.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread fits me in a way. Except I personally have an ipad, and android (my EVO and my Archos 70 tablet). I thought (and for most times still do) that 10 inch tabs aren't as useful. I'm a guy, no purse, so going places with the 7 inch tab is simply easier and less "look at me". My girlfriend also has the exact toys (ipad, Archos70, and a different android phone).

My ipad is a recent purchase. I do love it. I also hate it. Everything I hate about it (customization compared to Android for one) is exactly why I can see it is a success with a lot of people. I am pretty sure my girlfriend prefers the ipad for the reasons I prefer my androids :)

I got mine too late to get a signed 4.2 to jailbreak. I am hoping this evens out the playing field for me between devices, since I do love the hardware.

The xoom, no way in my book. I got my ipad for less money. My opinion, Android HAS to be less expensive to compete. Apple didn't invent the tablet, the MP3 player, etc....but they brought them to the general publics attention and they have the recognition. Not many people will look at them side by side and say "gee, we should probably pay an extra $100 to get that android". Even me, a die hard android fan.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would lose my mind! My ipad and my computer load in less than a second!

So if if loads slower then one can assume it is a flash site? Even on a computer? Interesting...

shhardyme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, someone asked me to post our findings on the side by side comparison of both the iPad (me) vs the Xoom (husband).

I prefer Apple. He prefers Android.

Here is what we have so far:

He has Flash Player, so he gets a point for that. But neither of us has Java for games online, etc. (more controversial issues I know). Sorry But Cloud and Swifter Apps both fail for Flash content for me so far.

Some of his Apps are free, but most are the same.

The Xoom is as heavy as a brick while the iPad is more like a frisbee :)

He was able to replace his native keyboard to a more natural one with arrow keys. I know this a controversial issue but I still miss the arrow keys.

I have arthritis and it's a challenge for me to not have them. I plan to go the way of an App to type then copy/paste.

Dragon is free for us and that App is WAY more accurate on the iPad. I use it a lot for writing in lieu of typing.

Each has it's own pros and cons. It's a matter of preference really. He has an Android phone so the Xoom was a better choice due to comfort.

He is Apple challenged.

I didn't even consider a Xoom. Hands down I pick the iPad over other tablets any day.

I'll try to add more as we each discover our newest gadgets.

I'm in somewhat a similar situation as I have both an iPad 2 and a 3/4G Xoom. In my case the conflict is not between husband and wife but within myself. Just a few comments about having both.

To me the iPad 2 is an app machine. What I mean is that it works and works well with few problems. On the other hand the Xoom is pretty good as is but some of the excitement surrounding it is the potential for becoming an outstanding platform. I'm looking forward to having Verizon's 4G and using the Mobile Hotspot feature built in to the Xoom.

One is heavy, one is light.
One doesn't show fingerprints much and one does.
One has tons of apps, one has few.
One is about the apps and their functions, one is about the OS

Even though I'm somewhat conflicted I'm glad to have both and expect to use them equally.

Reaction score
Take away apps and they both are very limited in their native abilities, Android might have more customization out of the box but without the ability to go to the market/store and get the apps to customize with it's a moot point.
To me if you take away the ability to add the apps they both are substandard but for different reasons.
I prefer my phone to be Android because of what I use my phone for but prefer my tablet to be Apple because of what I use it for. The apps that work better on a big screen, games,shopping,etc, I don't want on my phone and the navigation type apps I use on my phone I don't want to use on my tablet because I usually navigate by foot or bicycle are just a couple of examples.
If I didn't have the ability to go get apps and had to rely on the browser or built in programs, like on my old Windows Mobile, only I wouldn't be happy with either.
I played with a Xoom and wasn't willing to pay the extra cost to use it less than I do my phone.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Trumpet444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that this thread doesnt have any hard core fanboys. That crap gets old. Im a fan of both my iPad, my rooted Moto Droid and my rooted NookColor. They all have pros and cons. I don't like that an iPad has to be jail broken to have basic functions that any android tablet has though. File browser, Bluetooth freedom (wiimotes), and easliy managing non iTunes music

Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
uniquename said:
Not many people will look at them side by side and say "gee, we should probably pay an extra $100 to get that android". Even me, a die hard android fan.

This is a point I made about Android phones before - in the UK (and anywhere else handsets are heavily subsidised by mobile networks), Android phones are much cheaper than iPhones. Now, some of us are willing to pay the premium for Apple devices because of customer service, build quality, because we just ARE the coolest kids in town... Etc.. ;)

*IF* the Android handsets had contract prices and up front costs like the iPhone, I would think their uptake rate would suffer massively. I'm not saying people would go to Apple, but I think there would be less smart phones in circulation. People are happy to own a handset they get for free on their £20pm contract, but to ask them to pay £100+ upfront for their handsets is a bit psychological barrier for most people. Mobile phones are considered to be, largely, a 'free' item in these markets. (My 3Gs was the first phone I have ever actually paid up front for...).

Now (getting to the point) I think this is the problem many are having with the tablets. To compete on a level price, they have to be better than an iPad of which Apple as it's own tied in revenue stream (iTunes & App Store) which the actual tablet makers don't have; they have to make their profit with the device itself. They can't rely on phone networks to subsidise the cost, because they don't have to have a 'phone' connection.

So the tablet x is either going to be better or equal to an iPad but more expensive, or cheaper but technically just not as good. My personal view is that it is probably only the App Store and iTunes which make the iPad economically feasible for Apple (hence their dislike of out of app purchases and walled garden approach). This enabled them to bring it to the Market before anyone else could financially - now everyone else is chasing but the fact, as I see it, is that tablets simply arent economical as stand alone products.

This is why I think that Android is a bit buggered as a tablet OS unless it can hold on a few years for the tech to become cheaper.

It's certainly interesting to read someone's like for like comparison of the actual user experience though :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one really gets it in this thread. The reason people love the iPad is that you are close to a MacBook experience with the instant on HD apps. You can pretty. Much do every normal thing that you use a lap top for because there are 65,000 HD apps for the iPad.

When you chose to run an iPhone type app on the iPad it is pretty much a big iPod Touch. That is exactly what a Xoom is, it is pretty much a big Android phone experience. There are less than 21 true HD apps for Honeycomb Android but several thousand Android phone aps that run on the Xoom.

There was recently a long discussion on the Android fan site about the dearth of real tablet apps for any Android tablet.

There is no comparison of the real powerful ipad tablet experience that people lust for and Android tablets like the Xoom.

People who want a mere big screen phone running old Android phone apps will be happy with a ten inch Android tablet. There is nothing wrong with that but many millions want far more which is why Apple can not meet the global iPad demand. Android is woefully far behind in the tablet market when it comes to the tablet apps most expect.

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is exactly what a Xoom is, it is pretty much a big Android phone experience.

I've used both enough to say the ipod touch to ipad comparison is much closer to the android phone to xoom comparison. Now, if you had said that about the galaxy tab, the archos70, or any of the non-honeycomb android tablets I would agree.

Reaction score
No one really gets it in this thread. The reason people love the iPad is that you are close to a MacBook experience with the instant on HD apps. You can pretty. Much do every normal thing that you use a lap top for because there are 65,000 HD apps for the iPad.

When you chose to run an iPhone type app on the iPad it is pretty much a big iPod Touch. That is exactly what a Xoom is, it is pretty much a big Android phone experience. There are less than 21 true HD apps for Honeycomb Android but several thousand Android phone aps that run on the Xoom.

There was recently a long discussion on the Android fan site about the dearth of real tablet apps for any Android tablet.

There is no comparison of the real powerful ipad tablet experience that people lust for and Android tablets like the Xoom.

People who want a mere big screen phone running old Android phone apps will be happy with a ten inch Android tablet. There is nothing wrong with that but many millions want far more which is why Apple can not meet the global iPad demand. Android is woefully far behind in the tablet market when it comes to the tablet apps most expect.

I do get the point of this thread. It is not to compare Mac book experience to anything. It is to compare tablet to tablet experience.
Physical weight and size has nothing to do with Mac experience. Smudge resistance has nothing to do with Mac experience. Battery life has nothing to do with Mac experience, the OP has both and is comparing experiences of both to each other, not a Mac.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Most reactions

Latest posts