What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi fi problem

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to be able to browse, download etc ok most of the time, but every now and again my iPad 2 informs me that it's not connected to the Internet, even though the little icon is right there in the top left corner. Turning wifi off then on again seems to sort this out, which isn't a huge hassle but sometimes this can happen every 5 mins for an hour or so.

Am I missing something, or may this even be a problem with my wifi connection?

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Alex

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shutting down the router for a couple minutes and restarting often helps. You should also go into your iPad's Wi-Fi settings, select the network and tell it to Forget while the router is down.

OP
A

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stefx - it's set to channel 6, which I think is permanent.

Twerpoet - will give that a try.

Thanks folks.

Have also heard that this problem may be caused by the magnet in the smart cover....hmmm

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the magnet in the Smart Cover has any effect but I'd be interested to know where you heard that.

Tim

cisca1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it is your WiFi. You can check this out with a Windows laptop runnng the program SSIDer. Gives an overview of present accesspoints and signal strengths in a graphic manner. Have the same problem with a KPN hotspot in La Place restaurant in Rotterdam. Hotspot has a lot of interference of other kotspots in the neighbourhood.

OP
A

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim - was just told to me by another user in another part of this forum. That's how rumours start, I suppose! Don't believe everything you read, eh?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's always possible that there's some esoteric effect but I would have thought that Apple would have undertaken some pretty rigourous testing before releasing the Smart Cover onto the market. I can't see, either, what the technical reason would be. I was always taught 'Association is not causation'. The fact that two effects are associated doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Many years ago I went to a lecture where the speaker was trying to prove that sunspots affected the global climate. He gave a long and detailed account and some very convincing evidence. Then, at the last minute, in a warning note of self-deprecation, he projected a slide that showed the correlation between the average world temperature and the size of the potato crop in Pategonia. The correlation was over 0.9. (and just in case you're not into correlation, perfect correlation is 1).

Tim

OP
A

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim - I think I saw something similar where the falling number of pirates was linked to rising global temperatures

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Global Warming is responsible for everything these days, though I've been unable to convince my Bank Manager that it's the cause of my financial situation....

Tim

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to be able to browse, download etc ok most of the time, but every now and again my iPad 2 informs me that it's not connected to the Internet, even though the little icon is right there in the top left corner. Turning wifi off then on again seems to sort this out, which isn't a huge hassle but sometimes this can happen every 5 mins for an hour or so.

Am I missing something, or may this even be a problem with my wifi connection?

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Alex

Apparently this is very common - do a search of the forums. I'm on my 2nd iPad that refuses to connect to my home wi-fi. Given that there are 4 other devices that can connect from anywhere in the house, even just outside in my back yard, it's safe to say it's not my signal strength. Oh, 2 of the other devices are iPod Touches.

I'm not sure if there are QC issues with the wi-fi hardware in the iPad2, or if Apple changed something. I'm still scanning the 'net for a solution, and very likely making a visit to the Apple store later today.

Mark

Most reactions