What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Would People Get 3G When You...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
But if you have a 3G cellphone and can wi-fi tether then there is no need for a 3G version

GPS
worth the price for 3g version.

$130 for GPS is worth it? There isn't even a functional offline GPS program ported to the ipad yet. Copilot is absolute garbage at this point. And either way, if you have a phone that has GPS functionality and bluetooth, you can use it as an external bluetooth GPS receiver with the Cydia application BTStack GPS. I use my windows mobile phone as external GPS for my iPad, and it works flawlessly.

Motion X GPS HD - is an awsome iPad GPS app and works offline
Navigon all though its an iphone app also works great on the ipad while offline for turn by turn directions.

What model is your windows phone and does it have a 13 foot accuracy like the ipad?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But if you have a 3G cellphone and can wi-fi tether then there is no need for a 3G version

GPS

$130 for GPS is worth it? There isn't even a functional offline GPS program ported to the ipad yet. Copilot is absolute garbage at this point. And either way, if you have a phone that has GPS functionality and bluetooth, you can use it as an external bluetooth GPS receiver with the Cydia application BTStack GPS. I use my windows mobile phone as external GPS for my iPad, and it works flawlessly.

Offline GPS is less important when you have 3G :)

I know what you mean though, cant get a signal everywhere. I wouldn't say its worth it JUST for GPS, but its a nice benefit in addition to the whole data connection thing.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS

Motion X GPS HD - is an awsome iPad GPS app and works offline
Navigon all though its an iphone app also works great on the ipad while offline for turn by turn directions.

What model is your windows phone and does it have a 13 foot accuracy like the ipad?

13 ft? My phone easily matches that. It is usually within 5-10 ft as tested extensively with google maps satellite view of the 4 corners of my house. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2.

I will have to give Motion X GPS another try. I tried it and was not impressed. Didn't realize that you could dowload maps and thought you were limited to the world map or downloadable maps as you go.

Edit: Yea, taking another look at Motion X GPS, and I repeat that there is not a functional offline GPS app yet. I am not downloading 12GB of maps to just cover the Northeast US. Waiting for a functional Tom Tom or similar app with full US coverage that is around 1.5 gb.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts