What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why would I want to upgrade to 4.2.1?

caver3d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading the experiences of many of you that have upgraded to 4.2.1, I am holding off on upgrading. I understand the value of folders, but some of you are having various problems and issues with everything else. This is really distressing. And I do not like the fact that the rotation button has been disabled. That is absolutely ridiculous.

This upgrade needs to SUPPORT the millions of first generation iPads and their owners, not confound and frustrate them.

I'm staying with 3.2.2 for now. I can live without multitasking and folders for the time being until we see something better than 4.2.1. And giving us a FREE upgrade does not make it any better. I paid good money for the 64 GB WIFI + 3G. I don't need any surprises.

caver3d
:mad:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a small minority that are having problems. I have some 40 owners (customers of mine) with ipads whom upgraded with out hassle and if you spend the time going through the threads you will see it is a small number here. The other factor is many whom have problems will go to forums seeking help so on the surface it may seem a lot.I will say also it appears that the upgrade is has less problems on the mac platform and also users. With win 7 and as for the rotation button it is software base and easy to use.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Col. Forums are offen skewed towards problems. In our own internal polling, by far most people had no or very small problems that were easy to fix. Yeah, even a small problem isn't the user experience that one expects from Apple, but I think this upgrade is really what the iPad should have had at launch. For me, it was totally worth it.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty typical for this kind of upgrade. Several people posting that they have specific issues, but the vast majority of users will not come here to post that everything went fine for them.

We see the same thing at the software company I work at with a new release. While it can be frustrating for those few users who experience problems, it doesn't negate the fact that thousands of users have no issues at all.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And if you think how many people are on here at any given time lately, anywheres from 4-7 thousand! There is only a handful that have problems ~ it looks like more because those threads pop up in New Posts.

It really isn't that that many.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but one can't stay downgraded forever, can they? Eventually, you have to upgrade, due to upgraded apps?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People will share negative information 100 times before they say one good thing. Everyone wants attention and wants the rest of us to say "awwww poor guy!"

I guarantee you there are already MILLIONS of happy iPad 4.2.1 users, don't let the 50 or so that get online and bitch about any and every little thing sway your decision to upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with the 4.2.1, some people just didn't understand how multitasking would work, so they complain and complain and complain to try to get other people to side with them.

Just upgrade!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgrade if only to keep your iPad tidy with folders.
Plus the printing and multitasking options are also nice.

Aww why be such a wimp? Just go for it.....

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the majority of people on this forum are not the typical user. If we have issues, you can bet the average has more. The new update has only confused and frustrated most of the other users I know. The multitasking alone is just causing a mess. They can't understand what the bar is for, where the apps went, if they are still running or not, or even of they are closed when they close them. I'm baffled as to why Apple went this route. i think it boils down to a device that was initially only meant to do a few things, people want it to be more like a computer, and now it's weaknesses are showing already. It needs more ram, it needs at least another two hard buttons on front and a slew of things more. They need to stop marketing it as a tablet when the design is really just a large ipod touch. If they are going to make it a tablet, then make it one. But right now the iphone/itouch are actually hindering where this tablet could be going - sharing their limited OS, their stupid button layout, and their itunes obsessed requirement.

All that being said, you are really not losing anything besides the rotation button by upgrading. I think you are better off with 4.2.1 then without it.

Last edited:

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that you can not stay downgraded for ever. The answer to everything is not wait and see that is how progress is made ( my unpopular phrase is it is what it is" I often smile when someone is giving up so fast and wants to go back ( previous os or etc)..
Have the courage to move up or view the world from down bellow. Lots of help on this forum to support any challenges that you might encounter.
" it is what it is" stands for I am removing myself from it and accept it as oppose to do somethingbabout it!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upgrading is easy and frankly will be necessary as new apps will be made for the updated os.

Multitasking is not rocket science and there are a lot of descriptions and even videos out on the web describing exactly what it is and how it works ie. Macworld, Lifehacker, YouTube and even Apple itself. A little effort with google and you should be fully informed.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say the upgrade is essential, it completely changes the device...

I used an iPad on iOS 3.2.2 today and the difference is huge.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the majority of people on this forum are not the typical user. If we have issues, you can bet the average has more. The new update has only confused and frustrated most of the other users I know. The multitasking alone is just causing a mess. They can't understand what the bar is for, where the apps went, if they are still running or not, or even of they are closed when they close them. I'm baffled as to why Apple went this route. i think it boils down to a device that was initially only meant to do a few things, people want it to be more like a computer, and now it's weaknesses are showing already. It needs more ram, it needs at least another two hard buttons on front and a slew of things more. They need to stop marketing it as a tablet when the design is really just a large ipod touch. If they are going to make it a tablet, then make it one. But right now the iphone/itouch are actually hindering where this tablet could be going - sharing their limited OS, their stupid button layout, and their itunes obsessed requirement.

This is another reason why forums results are skewed.

I'm not saying that is the case here but I find it suspicious that when someone is unhappy it is often them and "most" everyone they know who is also upset. I say speak for yourself and if friends want to chime in let them do so on their own. The fact that they are not already here speaks volumes.

Just sayin...

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is another reason why forums results are skewed.

I'm not saying that is the case here but I find it suspicious that when someone is unhappy it is often them and "most" everyone they know who is also upset. I say speak for yourself and if friends want to chime in let them do so on their own. The fact that they are not already here speaks volumes.

Just sayin...

Michael

How true is this.

Most reactions

Latest posts