Why would I want to upgrade to 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by caver3d, Nov 24, 2010.

1. caver3d

caver3d iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After reading the experiences of many of you that have upgraded to 4.2.1, I am holding off on upgrading. I understand the value of folders, but some of you are having various problems and issues with everything else. This is really distressing. And I do not like the fact that the rotation button has been disabled. That is absolutely ridiculous.

This upgrade needs to SUPPORT the millions of first generation iPads and their owners, not confound and frustrate them.

I'm staying with 3.2.2 for now. I can live without multitasking and folders for the time being until we see something better than 4.2.1. And giving us a FREE upgrade does not make it any better. I paid good money for the 64 GB WIFI + 3G. I don't need any surprises.

caver3d
    :mad:
  2. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +466 / 0
    It is a small minority that are having problems. I have some 40 owners (customers of mine) with ipads whom upgraded with out hassle and if you spend the time going through the threads you will see it is a small number here. The other factor is many whom have problems will go to forums seeking help so on the surface it may seem a lot.I will say also it appears that the upgrade is has less problems on the mac platform and also users. With win 7 and as for the rotation button it is software base and easy to use.
  3. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I agree with Col. Forums are offen skewed towards problems. In our own internal polling, by far most people had no or very small problems that were easy to fix. Yeah, even a small problem isn't the user experience that one expects from Apple, but I think this upgrade is really what the iPad should have had at launch. For me, it was totally worth it.
  4. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Pretty typical for this kind of upgrade. Several people posting that they have specific issues, but the vast majority of users will not come here to post that everything went fine for them.

We see the same thing at the software company I work at with a new release. While it can be frustrating for those few users who experience problems, it doesn't negate the fact that thousands of users have no issues at all.
  5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    And if you think how many people are on here at any given time lately, anywheres from 4-7 thousand! There is only a handful that have problems ~ it looks like more because those threads pop up in New Posts.

It really isn't that that many.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but one can't stay downgraded forever, can they? Eventually, you have to upgrade, due to upgraded apps?
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

And this says it all. You will see forums slammed with people trippin with updates, changes and anything new they have tried.
  7. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    People will share negative information 100 times before they say one good thing. Everyone wants attention and wants the rest of us to say "awwww poor guy!"

I guarantee you there are already MILLIONS of happy iPad 4.2.1 users, don't let the 50 or so that get online and bitch about any and every little thing sway your decision to upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with the 4.2.1, some people just didn't understand how multitasking would work, so they complain and complain and complain to try to get other people to side with them.

Just upgrade!
  8. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Upgrade if only to keep your iPad tidy with folders.
    Plus the printing and multitasking options are also nice.

Aww why be such a wimp? Just go for it.....
  9. ibgeorgeb

ibgeorgeb iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No problems encountered with my upgrade. I'm happy. gB
  10. newfmp3

newfmp3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the majority of people on this forum are not the typical user. If we have issues, you can bet the average has more. The new update has only confused and frustrated most of the other users I know. The multitasking alone is just causing a mess. They can't understand what the bar is for, where the apps went, if they are still running or not, or even of they are closed when they close them. I'm baffled as to why Apple went this route. i think it boils down to a device that was initially only meant to do a few things, people want it to be more like a computer, and now it's weaknesses are showing already. It needs more ram, it needs at least another two hard buttons on front and a slew of things more. They need to stop marketing it as a tablet when the design is really just a large ipod touch. If they are going to make it a tablet, then make it one. But right now the iphone/itouch are actually hindering where this tablet could be going - sharing their limited OS, their stupid button layout, and their itunes obsessed requirement.

All that being said, you are really not losing anything besides the rotation button by upgrading. I think you are better off with 4.2.1 then without it.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  11. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I agree that you can not stay downgraded for ever. The answer to everything is not wait and see that is how progress is made ( my unpopular phrase is it is what it is" I often smile when someone is giving up so fast and wants to go back ( previous os or etc)..
    Have the courage to move up or view the world from down bellow. Lots of help on this forum to support any challenges that you might encounter.
    " it is what it is" stands for I am removing myself from it and accept it as oppose to do somethingbabout it!
  12. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Upgrading is easy and frankly will be necessary as new apps will be made for the updated os.

Multitasking is not rocket science and there are a lot of descriptions and even videos out on the web describing exactly what it is and how it works ie. Macworld, Lifehacker, YouTube and even Apple itself. A little effort with google and you should be fully informed.
  13. Gunny008

Gunny008 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would say the upgrade is essential, it completely changes the device...

I used an iPad on iOS 3.2.2 today and the difference is huge.
  14. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is another reason why forums results are skewed.

I'm not saying that is the case here but I find it suspicious that when someone is unhappy it is often them and "most" everyone they know who is also upset. I say speak for yourself and if friends want to chime in let them do so on their own. The fact that they are not already here speaks volumes.

Just sayin...

Michael
  15. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    How true is this.
  16. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I am one of those, that the Upgrade was a MUST. I am in Israel, and needed the new Hebrew Keyboard.
    By the way they couldn't sale it here since Hebrew was nit included. Starting coming Jan of 2011 , It will start here in Israel as well.
    There some minor bugs because Hebrew is being writen from Right to left, But other then that, the 4.2.1 is running OK ( I did have problems in the update)
  17. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been through a lot of upgrades of different devices. Blackberry, Droid, and now iPad. I have never seen any update appear to get a massive thumbs up in a Forum. Not in Crackberrry. Not in the Droid Forums.

And then there are the people who want to go back to the previous OS. I wonder 2 or 3 updates later what ever happened to those people? What happened was acceptance.

Updates go through phases. First there is anticipation of the arrival. Second is the joy of the arrival of the update. Third stage, and that's where we are here is the complaining stage. In two months time nobody will be complaining anymore because they will all be in the fourth stage, acceptance.

This is a great update. Probably the best I've ever seen on any of my other devices. I'm very pleased with it.
  18. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Actually this is dead wrong. For most Non-Power users they don't know and barely care that iOS has "multitasking." This is how it should be. Think of that user, they don't know to double tap the Home button and they never see the Apps that have stored state to worry about. Once the iPad needs to free up the tiny amount of resources that are used, it shuts the oldest/least used App(s) automatically. As far as the user is concerned the iPad works exactly as it did before: open an App, click Home to close it and open another App. For people who don't know or care about Multitasking there is no difference. It just works. That is the beauty of this design.

Since the vast majority of Apps don't really "run" in the background, it is easier and more sensible to just let the OS take care of handling them.

If a person takes the time to learn about the new features, they are no longer this so called low tech user. When that happens they can learn to take advantage of the new features, or post about how confused they are and get help.
  19. PCUK

PCUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It's the old story - if all else fails, read the instructions!!!
  20. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

How do you figure? I disagree.