What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why such smal capacities?

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious why we only have a 64gb iPad. Surely the technology is there for a terabyte drive small enough to fit in an iPad. I have a 16gb SD card the size of a thumbnail in my phone, so I know physical dimensions are not the issue. So why then?

Small, not Smal... :(

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kdryan said:
I'm curious why we only have a 64gb iPad. Surely the technology is there for a terabyte drive small enough to fit in an iPad. I have a 16gb SD card the size of a thumbnail in my phone, so I know physical dimensions are not the issue. So why then?

Small, not Smal... :(

Why didn't you get the 64GB iPad?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kdryan said:
It was a gift, but even 64gb is ridiculously small by today's standards...

Ahhh. I got mine as a gift as well. I plan on keeping it for a while.

HafMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only have the 16GB and I'm happy with that mainly because I don't store a lot of music etc on it.
Apple certainly could do it but why should they release something that would earn them billions, when they could drip feed the market with plenty of different models.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad uses a more expensive SSD like drive. This is because it takes up less space, and is less susceptible to being damaged by sudden deceleration syndrome.

If you look around, I think you'll find the terabyte SSD drives are a wee bit more expensive than the hard drives in most laptops.

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an answer I can live with. I thought I had read they were more prone to failure than a traditional drive...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read that they can take more abuse (jostling and such), so that's why they're used in devices like iPods, iPads, etc. But they're supposed to degrade over time, despite that. They are more expensive, as Twerppoet says. I'd be willing to pay for more storage than 64GBs, though. I'd like at least 1TB.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've read that they can take more abuse (jostling and such), so that's why they're used in devices like iPods, iPads, etc. But they're supposed to degrade over time, despite that. They are more expensive, as Twerppoet says. I'd be willing to pay for more storage than 64GBs, though. I'd like at least 1TB.

1TB SSD drives are going for more than $2000. That means the having one in an iPad (if it would fit) would probably raise the price by at least $1000. I think I can live with 64GB a bit longer. ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1TB SSD drives are going for more than $2000. That means the having one in an iPad (if it would fit) would probably raise the price by at least $1000. I think I can live with 64GB a bit longer. ;)

Lol. I'd be willing to pay for 1TB. But Apple would probably get few takers, which is why they've limited storage to the current offerings.

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so that explains the small capacity, but why no ability to add additional storage like and external drive or an SD card?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Uuuhh me too. That's a laptop purchase...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, so that explains the small capacity, but why no ability to add additional storage like and external drive or an SD card?

Well, I can only guess; but probably just Apple's usual design choices. 1) simplicity. 2) design for the future, not now.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that physical media is going to take a back seat to cloud plus ubiquitous internet availability, especial with mobile devices. As usual, Apple has chosen to abandon what it perceives to be declining technology before it's actually dead.

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my problem with that. Unless you have access to unlimited bandwidth everywhere, all the time, I don't see how the Cloud is going to be 100% effective. My cell carrier limits my bandwidth so if I go over, I get throttled back to dial-up speed or with other carriers get charged for the extra. I can't take my home internet with me and hotspots are not everywhere, so how am I supposed to go completely with Cloud storage and still have access to my data? Admittedly, I am new to all of this, but it looks to be a serious drawback.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts