What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so many apps are craps?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you agree with me, but I find 90% of all apps in appstore are useless.

I thought since Apple alone controls the appstore, all apps will have gone some sort of quality control before inclusion in appstore - but seems not.

I understand in some cases what I find useless someone else may find good use of it, but I do think that percentage is minimal.

In other ecosystems (say Windows), millions of developers create their own apps and make them available via millions of individual web sites. But the best apps are often well known.

On the contrary, in Apple world, you have only one garden owned by Apple. Even some independent (?) review sites promote (paid) apps that are not that good. Also, unlike Windows world, you can't really try an app before buying (ok, some do offer lite version but very few). I understand you can argue that one can call Apple and ask for a refund, but in general that is not well known and rarely people do that.

Also, we often talk about "supporting the developers" by buying apps, many of which are just one trick pony. But how Windows (or Linux) developers are supported? In desktop world, even free apps offer far more features than paid apps in iPad world. Is it because iPad architecture does not support building desktop like capable apps or Apple just doesn't want that?

Happy to hear your counter thoughts :)

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
There are really crappy apps out there. Probably a fair majority. But there's also a good chunk of quality apps well worth in excess of their value.

Also, what you deem as crap might be a work of genius to someone else. This is why Apple don't discriminate. As long as it's not offensive or illegal they'll usually allow it. And good thing IMO.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find a little research goes a long way. You can also glean a fair bit from the quality of the language used in the description of the app. I have managed to avoid spending money on useless stuff so far. GarageBand was one that I would not have purchased had I known about Amplitube , but that's not really a criticism of the app.....Amplitube just does more.

Price is no indicator of quality either, my radio app TuneInradio, was only .59p and is superb. It's a good idea to watch the forum to see what others have to say about what they have purchased. Amplitube came as a recommendation from a member here. Now if they would just deliver my irig I can start using it :)

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Not to mention just hanging out at this forum. After a while you'll get the idea on which apps are gotta-haves and which are have-nots. As a matter of fact, there is a whole section here at the forum dedicated to apps. The good ones always rise to the top and there are lots of threads discussing which are best at what they do.

Your comment about millions of developers on millions of websites sounds like a whole lot of work finding the best ones, IMHO. Even if they are well known. I'll take the several million in one place (iTunes). Especially since I don't have to worry about some attached worm, malware, or virus when I download it.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have rarely found any bad apps. I don't make a habit of just downloading every little thing, but I have few problems with them. Most of my problems have been they do not meet my needs in one or two ways.

Reaction score
There are plenty of apps on every system that suck.
I agree with the above posters in that a little research, especially a forum such as this one, can save a lot of headaches no matter the platform we use.
Maybe if I could find a dang thing on the Apple store I'd see the crappy apps but the way it operates on my Ipad keeps me from bothering look for anything new. The whole auto return to page 1 when I check the details on an app is too frustrating

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you agree with me, but I find 90% of all apps in appstore are useless.

So if 90% are crap, that still leaves 10% of 65,000 which is 650. Pretty good if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Not pointing out any obvious mistakes here, but multiplying your answer by ten gives a more accurate answer. ;)

You are so right. My math error, thank you. So 6,500 good apps, who could ask for more?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:

I thought since Apple alone controls the appstore, all apps will have gone some sort of quality control before inclusion in appstore - but seems not.

Happy to hear your counter thoughts :)

Apple just checked to see If the app does what it says it will do.
Otherwise, Totally agree.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of them are bad. I've downloaded a lot that went free for a few days on sale, and still deleted them because I hated them. I can't believe they get away with charging for them. There are some that I like very much.

Apple really needs to require demo versions of pay for apps, as its way too easy to scam people out of their money, considering they state that there are no refunds.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't think of a single app that sucked, besides the LA Times one. I found it loaded with ads and too little copy in the iPhone version, and it had lame navigation. I tried two versions of it awhile ago and I ditched it, avoiding the iPad version entirely. There are plenty of good news apps to use in its place, and I don't even live in LA, so it's not essential to me.

There are some I didn't find useful for my purposes, but that's not a knock on their quality. I don't go randomly trawling for apps, though. I found most of my apps based on recommendations, Top 10 lists and such. I also don't play games, so I don't know whether those are more likely to suck. Most of my apps were free, too. I have about 105, most of which I use regularly. I delete the ones I don't use.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I can't really agree as I haven't even looked at even a fraction of "90% of all apps in appstore". I guess my question is: how did you arrive at that 90% figure, e.g. did you survey 58,000 apps firsthand?

Most reactions