What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no Widget apps on Apple devices?

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking for just a weather widget. I'm spoiled with the Widgets on my Android Phone, but I did some research and it seems there were some widget apps for Ipads back in 2010 or 2009, but not anymore. What is the reason for this? I had a weather app that showed the temp on the Icon, but it's always asking me if I want the paid version when in the app, which got old fast. I did see one called Farenheit, does anyone use this and is it accurate?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to get widgets is through jailbreaking. To me what makes the iPhone and iPad so great is the smooth nature of the OS. Widgets eat up memory and battery life, this could be Apple's reasoning behind not having them available in the stock OS. I have my iPhone jailbroken but find no use for them. However, I can see why many would want them. When I was a droider I found myself deleting most of the widgets on my phones.

OP
af847

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Jailbreaking threads just recently and from what they say it's pretty easy to do. Never did it to my droid. I'm too new at the Ipad to try it yet. I know you can restore it back easily. I guess just afraid to try and if something goes wrong. Not sure exactly what the advantage to Jailbreaking the Ipad is yet. I know some customization, but other than that, why do it? I do like the ease of just looking at the temp on my droid phone and seeing how the weather is outside. Thanks for explaining to me. I guess I'll just have to see what's out there as far as weather apps go. Right now I'm using Accuweather, which got a lot of votes in another thread, just hate the boring looking Icon and no temp on the icon.

TooTok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple should give you the option for widgets. I would be handy to look at two or three apps at once so I wouldn't have to keep jumping between them for updates. Let the user decide wether they want to consume processing power on them or not.

Most reactions

Latest posts